TK VS DRAGONS or other BIG CREATURES - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TK VS DRAGONS or other BIG CREATURES

Im finding tk impossible to beat such creatures. CAN anyone of you vetrans sugest anything that might aid me and any others ???????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try Ushabti or a few scorpians, Ushabti are tough enough to do some damage and the scorps are somewhat survivable atleast until u can get 1 or 2 killing blows off =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I think dragons are one of the harder things to fight with Tomb Kings.

As dragons (and the like) tend to cause terror, they are immune to our fear causing troops. Since they can fly, they can usually choose where they want to fight us.
    And we really can't hope to whiddle them down with arrows or magic due to their high toughness.

Generally, the best tactic is to hit them with a large block of Skeletons and then flank them with a hard hitter, such as Ushabti or a Tomb Scorpion.
    You're probably not going to kill it, but you could have a +6 combat modifier going in (3 ranks, standard, outnumber, flank)
    I'd also recommend not having a character in the Skeleton unit as the other player can challenge, thus negating your Ushabti/Scorpion attacks. Have a Champ, at the most, and if your opponent challenges, simply decline. You're not expecting to do wounds with the Skeletons anyway.

Also, once you're in combat, ask about the kit of your opponent, determine which model (dragon or rider) is easier to hurt and go all out with your Ushabti against it.

Also, try to get a Smite spell to go off on the Ushabti. An attack from each Ushabti in base could make the difference between a dead dragon or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take out the rider

When facing one of these things I try to take out the rider first. This in turn will cause the monster to have to roll on thier leadership, which in most cases is lower than the lord(hero) that is riding it. Now since most creatures of this size have a large move they will flee the most amout. Now here is an example of how I defeated my friends Black Orc Warboss on a wyvern in on combat.

I charged him with a Tomb Scorpion and 3 swarms. Targeted his lord. 3 hits with scorpion and 2 6's on the to wound roll. He failed both his armour save and ward save. I then used the 3 swarms on the wyvern and did 2 wounds. He only managed to do 2 wounds. So now he had to roll on the looses monster chart and then a breakest. Batta-bing batta-boom fleeing wyvern.

That is just how I handle them anyway.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Although not a TK player myself i know a few people who are and i am led to believe that there isn't much which can deal with a ten strong unit of carrion. These guys have two wounds each and can tie up anything for most of a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by manakari
    I charged him with a Tomb Scorpion and 3 swarms. Targeted his lord. 3 hits with scorpion and 2 6's on the to wound roll. He failed both his armour save and ward save. I then used the 3 swarms on the wyvern and did 2 wounds. He only managed to do 2 wounds. So now he had to roll on the looses monster chart and then a breakest. Batta-bing batta-boom fleeing wyvern.
    Dude, if you rolled two 6's on the 'to wound' roll with a Scorpion, then you just pulled off a double Killing Blow! He should've taken two ward saves, and if he'd failed either of them, BLAM!, dead orc!

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

A ten-strong unit of carrion? Only 20 wounds, costs nearly as much as the dragon, and will likely get killed within 2 turns against a decent lord and a dragon. The lord will likely deal 3+ wounds, the dragon would deal around 4 wounds, you would be lucky to deal 1, you've now lost 3 carrion and half a fourth and then you lose around 6 wounds to combat res. You've now lost 12 - 14 of your 20 wounds in one turn with dealing only 1 wound in turn if your lucky. And then I think you lose another would because the opponent has US 7 and your down to US 6. Those are some pretty doomed birdies. Tomb Swarms would do better, only take up a core, and have poison attacks that will likely deal 3 or more wounds (depending on its armor, maybe even killing the lord....). 10 Tomb swarms would be fun to watch.... Eat 40 wounds and 16 poison attacks a turn for the rest of the game!
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think using a carrion unit is a bad idea, if you back it up with a big skeleton unit then the monster should break or at least lose the combat. Given that one can't really expect to outright kill the monster then this seems like the best way. Of course, it doesn't have to be carrion, a large tomb swarm might also be reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

As stated above, wouldn't a big unit of Tomb Swarms help?

They have poisoned attacks, so they could potentially hurt the monster, and have many wounds.

Then when they're holding up the monster and rider, charge em in the flank or rear with a ranked unit.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    As stated above, wouldn't a big unit of Tomb Swarms help?

They have poisoned attacks, so they could potentially hurt the monster, and have many wounds.

Then when they're holding up the monster and rider, charge em in the flank or rear with a ranked unit.
    The only problem with this is that compared to a flying dragon tomb swarms are very slow, and a good general will make sure that his big lord and mount isn't going to get bogged down fighting swarms

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast