Tomb Kings, Angry Horses and You. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomb Kings, Angry Horses and You.

I have a game tonight against a friend's new brettonia army, and I was thinking of using Khaazen's Tomb King / CoD combo against him, as it seems to be all the rage.
    I also used this combo for a while.

Tomb King - Spear of Antarhak, Scorpion Armor, Cloak of the Dunes, Shield

He can fly behind a unit, incant into it, do some wounds, lose combat, and only take 1 wound from res because of the scorpion armor. Next turn, you do some wounds with the spear, use them to heal yourself, lose combat, take a wound, rinse, repeat. In the meantime, position some chariots for a flank charge. That will win against nearly every ranked unit in the game.
    I'm just getting back into WHF, so I'm curious as to how you think this would work, if I hit the back of one of his cavalry units.

And while on the subject of bretonnia, does anyone have any pointers they might divulge on fighting Bretonnia?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And another thought, if he has a Character, or even a unit champion in the aforementioned unit of horses, then can he challenge my Tomb King?

I know he'll try and pull that on me. =(

So it'd be good to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can only issue a challenge if he himself is in base contact with the unit attacking, if you get a flank or rear, he cannot issue a challenge. Also, remember to be carefull when you get a flank or rear. I am not sure about bret initiative, but yours is only 3. If he hits before you, he can cause enough damage to make the combo fail, and you will take more wounds that you may be able to dish back out and regain. It's worth a try but there are risks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

This does look to have some value to it. However I just fear that regardless of whether or not you're taking wounds from CR, you might not be doing any damage either. 4 attacks, hitting on 3's, wounding on 2's, followed by a 4+ and 5+ save. You could be stuck in combat for quite a while. This could allow him to bring real force to bear on you.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Badger
    This does look to have some value to it. However I just fear that regardless of whether or not you're taking wounds from CR, you might not be doing any damage either. 4 attacks, hitting on 3's, wounding on 2's, followed by a 4+ and 5+ save. You could be stuck in combat for quite a while. This could allow him to bring real force to bear on you.
    True, judging by how fast a Bret army reacts, I may be playing a bit more defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Don't forget that he also can after round 1 of fighting rearrange his character to the front which means that from turn 2 of combat he can challenge you.
    {Sodcactus}
    Member of S.I.S.A
    Playing Tyranids (4500 p), Black Templars (3500 p) and Lizardmen (2500 p)
    Of course I have a blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

I'm not a fan of the TK combo you speak of, but if it works for you go for it. The combo isn't very killy, and Brets have a high enough armor and ward save that I think he's going to have an easy enough time making his saves against your king and eventually winning a combat and then getting your king into a challenge with his heroes, which isn't good for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I'm a huge fan of this combo, and I've used it against Brettonians before with great success.
    One game, I eventually killed an entire unit of Grail Knights with the flying King alone.

Here's some advice:
    1. Fly up right into his face at the front of one of his lances. If you fly around to the side, he might stop the King's self incantations from going off and you won't get into combat, and then the Knight lance can still move away (possibly out of charge range), or worse, get a charge off on another of your units (which is what the King is trying to stop in the first place). If you park your King right in front of the lance, even if you don't get the incants off to get the King into combat this turn, your opponent really has no choice but to charge you next turn - in which case you just challenge his champion and negate his entire lance formation attacks against you. Remember, unless they are Knights errant or Grail, they still have to pass a Fear check to charge too!

2. Avoid his fighting characters and great weapon enemies. This flying combo King is ideal for holding up and beating up rank-n-file troops. Enemy characters tend to be able to stomp this character due to lack of ward save, and troops with great weapons might get lucky.

3. Remember that after a charge, knights are only str 3. That means they need 6s to wound you, and if you take a shield with the Scorpion armor, you have a four plus save. It's not very likely you'll be wounded, but you only have to do one wound a turn to keep from crumbling to death.

4. Please oh please I hope your opponent charges another lance into the King on the side to take him out. Really, the only reliable way to kill this character in combat is with the previously mentioned great weapon troops, or a duelist character. If you get charged from another lance while you're already holding one lance up, then your opponent probably has just exposed his flank to something way worse like chariots, and your King can just challenge the new enemy champion and negate the lance formation attacks again. All the flanks, War Banner, BSB, ranks in the world don't mean squat if it only does one crumble damage a turn. Granted, you probably will be attacked by a few more knights from then on, but if you're not counter charging by this point, something in your plan has gone seriously wrong.

One final thing I've been thinking about, and I'm not sure if you can do it legally (because I don't have my army book handy, and I'm not sure if Scorpion armor is 'On Foot Only')
    You could mount the King in a chariot, give him Scorpion armor, a shield and the Spear of Antarhak, gives a 3+ save now. Put him in a unit of chariots, and then on your 'strike turn', charge the King out of the unit alone into the enemy. He has a 16" charge now, and your chariot unit can move up and maybe be in range to recieve the King's movement encants. You'll still have your great bog down King with slightly better armor, and more punch (impact hits, horses and +1 Str on charge with spear)

And the King's Chariot is now just ablative armor. If the enemy beat up on it looking to crumble the King, it still only does one wound to the King through combat res. This also frees up the Cloak of the Dunes for the Heirophant. Hmm, I think I maybe improved this nasty little combo. I'll check it's validity when I get home.

+ Reply to Thread