tomb kings vs wood elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tomb kings vs wood elves

hi all im going to be having a battle with my friend after christmas (when we both have a little more stuff for our armies). I think his army is going to have:

lord
    bsb
    2 wizards

3 or 4 glade guard units
    an eternal guard unit (24 strong i think)

some war hawk riders

2x 10 way watchers :wacko:

i don't know what else he might have this is just a ruff guess after skiming through his list.
    i will post my lists later as i have 1 main list and 2 others that have slight changes. any advice would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Lord O

p.s i have a question about incantations where it says "units can only be affected by this incantation once" does that mean i can cast it on that unit until i get the spell off?
    say after 1 unsuccessful cast can i cast it again?

Last edited by lord opium; December 5th, 2006 at 22:58.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lord opium
    does that mean i can cast it on that unit until i get the spell off?
    say after 1 unsuccessful cast can i cast it again?
    Yup. It's one of the things that makes Khemri magic so strong. It's also bloody frustrating to play against:glare:

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I play Wood Elves as well as regularly playing against Wood Elves. They can be frustrating, but not impossible if you can provide the 'answer' to his strategy.

Based on what you say he has in his list, he is basing a lot of strategy on the ability of his Waywatchers (He has nearly 500pts invested in them! Way too much for my tasted, but to each his own). Waywatchers are the Navy Seals of the Wood Elves, they're there to disrupt the opponent, not defeat the whole army. He is either going to try to annoy your troops from the flanks with them, and try to get you to reform to catch him (Never do this. Skeletons will rarely be able to catch and kill Waywatchers) or pursue more valuable targets (such as the Casket, Catapult or lone Liches).

I've found the best answer to Waywatchers is good deployment and Tomb Scorpions. Firstly, never set-up woods in your deployment zone when facing Wood Elves, and if your opponent does, try to deploy far away from them. Then, when deploying your Tomb Scorpions, deploy them on the flanks of your main army facing out the flanks (if you set-up in the corner, you'll only need one Scorpion for this). This ensures that if your opponent scouts his Waywatchers onto your flank, then you can put pressure on him early with the Scorpion, and there's no real way (aside from being extra, extra lucky) that Waywatchers can easily deal with the Scorpion. I did this in my last game vs Wood Elves and it worked to amazing effect. A good alternative for this is Carrion or the Bone Giant. Don't use Chariots, as you might get suckered into hitting terrain, and characters are too risky because of the killing blow the Waywatchers have at close range.

Another annoying unit the Wood Elves have at their disposal is the Warhawk Riders. These guys are great mage hunters now under the new rules, and we desperately need to keep our mages alive to win. If you hide your Liche in a unit, the Warhawk riders can charge, put all attacks into the Liche and then hit-and-run. If you float your Liche behind your units, few things are stopping the Warhawks from flying over your units and shooting the Liche dead (friendly units within 5" no longer stop this action.)

The only way I handle this is by setting up an early charge with Chariots. If you can charge the Warhawks in turn two before they strike at your Liches but after they've moved into a position that makes them a bit vulnerable, that's good. Most players will flee from a chariot charge, and depending on the angle, you could cause panic in some of his units (not a big bonus, thanks to Wood Elves' high leadership) and give you a few more turns to get dug in and killing the rest of his army.

My final point for this overly long post is dealing with Eternal Guard. Eternal Guard is my favorite unit in all of Warhammer. Cool models, cool fluff, and enough special rules that make them good without putting them over the top. You want to deal with Eternal Guard with a ranked up skeleton or Tomb Guard unit. Skeletons are pants at killing Eternal Guard (statistically, it takes 18 skeleton attacks to kill 2 Eternal Guard). You want to win through combat resolution. A flank charge from Chariots/Ushabti/Bone Giant/another Skeleton unit wouldn't hurt. The main thing against Eternal Guard is to target any characters that are accompanying them. Tomb Kings with the Destroyer of Eternities, Tomb Guard or Tomb Scorpions with killing blow are great choices. Rush in there, snip off the character's head and congratulate yourself on killing the coolest unit in all of Warhammer Fantasy.

That's it for now. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by MobiusPrime; December 7th, 2006 at 16:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks mobius for the great info i will post my list now over on the subfourm and thanks stone hambey too:yes:

cheers

Lord O

+ Reply to Thread