why are TK's difficult - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why are TK's difficult

Hi all-

I'm still new to fantasy and I love the TK models, but I've heard that TK's are "underpowered". Obviously, a good player can get more mileage out of any army, but why do folks say that TK's are easy to beat? (they say the same thing about Ogre Kingdoms, but that's for another post

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

lemme at em!

People say that Tomb Kings are east to beat because,
    A: they have only/mostly played against lousy TK players or,
    2: they themselves are a lousy played and assume it's the army's fault.

TK are my first army(I have lizards but have yet to play them), and I knew nothing about fantasy when I started. I've lost one out of about 2 dozen games,(but many of these were down to "last unit standing")

I often hear that they are are finesse army, that the are unforgiving if you make a mistake, but the same must be said about any army.

Their magic is essential to their success. Kill their casters and they either crumble to dust, or are too slow to get you. Only a fool(and I mean fool in a really nice way.) is going to let you do this though. I guess some people see this reliance on magic as an Achilles heel, but if you understand how to use it, it is a great boon and TK can be devastating.

Easy to beat... should I say the same about Orcs and Elves, just because I have played them so many times and won? Surely not.
    {goofy}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Well Tomb Kings are my second army, Bretonnia was my first. Tomb Kings indeed do have a reputation of being easy to beat.

Now I'm going to agree with the reasons that Palos gave above me. Also I think there is another reason TK get a bad rep from people starting them up. It is a cold hard fact that Tomb Kings are less effective the smaller the battles get. This is especially true at anything under 2k points.

We really, really, really need our magic to be effective. Every character we get with the exception of the Icon Bearer has some sort of Incantation he can cast whether it be through magic (liche priests) or through force of will (tomb kings/princes). At smaller point games, we get less points to spend on characters that we need to take (under and at 2000 points I will always max out our characters and usually max out on liche priests). So this leaves us less points to spend on the rest of our army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol tomb kings are the best army in the whole warhammer and i dare anyone to contractict me just cause people dont know how to use them doesnt make them bad. if just won a tourny today with them and im proud to say that if created an army list that dwarfs my skaven army list with which i won Last november's UK heat 2. There is still one loop hole in my army list just one and ill open a tread about that tomorow mean while ill post today's tourny's battel report. read it and you understand what i mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

No Ereius I wasn't saying that TK were not the best army list out there. Personally I think they are very underestimated and quite capable of decimating any army. Then just get a bad rep sometimes as underpowered because of how different the army is compared to most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    No Ereius I wasn't saying that TK were not the best army list out there. Personally I think they are very underestimated and quite capable of decimating any army. Then just get a bad rep sometimes as underpowered because of how different the army is compared to most.
    im totaly with you this one ppl just dont know how to use them since its a unique type of playing style that depends on magic mostly, It just is not played like the other armies. You have to plan well ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a very experienced Tomb Kings Player (GT Final) and am prepared to go out on a limb and say that they are the most potentially powerful army in the game, the reason that we have a bad rep is becuase too many lousy gamers play Khemri.

I agree that Tomb Kings are unforgiving. This is down to our reliance on magic and the high base costs of our army list. However you are looking at an army where, apart from anything else, EVERY UNIT CAN BE HEALED! That is unheard of. Our magic always casts with no chance of having to role on that nasty miscast table. Our Chariots are up their with DE Dark Riders as the best Fast Cav. in the game and we have THE BEST unit in the game, the Tomb Scorpion. Under 7th ed. Rules, our Swarms have now become proabily the most cost effective in the whole game. All our special choices are great (I'm fed up of people having a dig at Tomb Guard, for only a few points more than your basic skele they are definatly worth their points). I nearly always take a Casket of Souls, especially in larger games, and along with the Dwarf Anvil and prehaps the Skaven Screaming Bell it is one of the top War Machines in the Game.

Our problem is our basic movement is poor, their is a heavy reliance on magic and if the Hierophant dies we are up crap creek without a paddle.

However overall if one learns to cover The Khemrians weaker areas, Tomb Kings are the best and most Powerful Army in Warhammer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by chrach View Post
    Hi all-

I'm still new to fantasy and I love the TK models, but I've heard that TK's are "underpowered". Obviously, a good player can get more mileage out of any army, but why do folks say that TK's are easy to beat? (they say the same thing about Ogre Kingdoms, but that's for another post
    if you want difficult try an all skink horde, you throw a rubber mouse in the midst and they all scatter screaming in terror...:'(

now THATS difficult lol

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing Tomb Kings since around october and have found them quite fun. I've won slightly over half my 30 odd games with them, generally losing only to armies that shut my magic phase down. I've been told they are hard to play under 2k points, but i've not actually played them at anything other than 1000-1500 so far, so I am looking forward to tonights game when I finally field 2k points with all the extra magic that that will entail. As an army, they do seem to fall apart if you dont hide your hierophant and support your other units well, I guess the same could be said of any army that doesnt support its weaker troops though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im a casual TK player(focusing on other tasks at hand right now) but have come around to the fact that they are rather average unless you know what your doing. TK are very unforgiving if you make a mistake(touch our liche priests and were dead) but if you use them right are very very nasty. Mainly because we are unbreakable(ok, ok...so we crumble...but i think its better then being run down) and the whole army causes fear. We also have the come from below rule which i cannot get enough of and like earlyer posts have said, cant misscast.

The biggest difficulty for me is keeping my high liche priest alive. The only thing i really can think of is for him to have the cloak of the dunes(or w/e makes him fly) and if he looks like hes in ANY danger at all just bail him out into a different unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast