Librarium Online Forums banner

First Attempt at 7th Ed. VC Army

836 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  InquisitorAffe 
#1 · (Edited)
My first WHFB was VC but I haven't played it regularly in over two years. I sold a lot of my models and am excited to see the new rule book.

This is my first attempt at a list. It's not what I originally had in mind, but instead of picking between the two, I decided that I'd build both armies, with this one as the first.

This list would be simpler to assemble and paint, allow for a strong core, and give me more time to have fun painting all the cool units like a Zombie Dragon, Cairn Wraiths, and Black Knights.

I'm sure there are lots of gaps in the list. This first list is not the cool, fluff-driven list I wanted with lots of ethereal units but the list I'd expect to win games and do well in tournaments.

I wish it had at least one more unit of dire wolves. I could drop two bats for another unit of wolves, but I like the idea of five fell bats taking on war machines.

Anyway, here it is.

Vampire Lord DavidVC04, Walach's ValuPak Bloody Hauberk, Sceptre de Noirot, Dispel Scroll, Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolyte

Wight King Jerald the Crazed, BSB, barded mount, Drakenhoff Banner

Necromancer Harold, Corpse Cart, Book of Arkhan, Vanhel's Danse Macabre as spell of choice

Grave Guard x 23, fc, great weapons to replace shields, Banner of the Barrows, home to Jerald the Crazed.
Skeleton Warriors x 24, fc, Banner of the Dead Legion, home to DVC04.
Skeleton Warriors x 24, fc, War Banner, home to Necromancer on cart.
Zombie Horde x 25, sb, mus

Corpse Cart x 1
Dire Wolves x 5
Dire Wolves x 5

Spirit Host x 3
Fell Bats x 5

8 casting dice
5 dispel dice, 1 scroll
122 total models

Jerald joins the Grave Guard. He will anchor the infantry units, particularly the Grave Guard. They will be tough as nails, regenerating with great weapons and the Corpse Carts shall work ASF on them. So shall the necromancer and his corpse cart O' DOOM!

The two carts will supress enemy magic, as will the 5 dispel dice and the single scroll.

The vamp will have six casting dice available: five of his own and one from the army pool. The necromancer shall have two: his own and the remaining army die. The corpse carts add two bound spells, and the book of arkhan adds another. Casting shall focus on enlarging the zombie unit.

Sometimes opponents will let you have an IoN on an existing unit, choosing to save their dispel dice for any new units you summon with Raise Dead. I'll start with bumping up the zombie unit to 35 thanks to the Sceptre de Noirot if the opponent lets it pass. Then I'll work on maintaining existing units, especially characters and the Grave Guard, and starting new units.

The lord will cast only IoN and Raise Dead most of the time, with two dice each time. The Necro will try to stay alive and get Danse Macarbre off.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A few things:

I don't understand this army at all.

Can a mounted character even join an infantry unit?

Sceptre de Noirot specifies that it works when Raise Dead is cast, not Invocation of Nehek.

Also, you have a very magical oriented lord but not many power dice to support him with.

You are using the banner of Endless Nightmare, which costs the same as the War Banner, but is strictly worse in all situations.

These are the thoughts that come immediately to mind.

I think you have enough models and units to compete with most armies, but no clear direction for your characters and magic, which will cause you to get beaten by armies that are very focused in one direction.

#3 · (Edited)
Can a mounted character even join an infantry unit?
Yes, he can.

Sceptre de Noirot specifies that it works when Raise Dead is cast, not Invocation of Nehek.
Yes, that's the point.

Also, you have a very magical oriented lord but not many power dice to support him with.
8 casting dice and three bound spells is a lot in my book. It's not Tzeentch, but it's still strong.

You are using the banner of Endless Nightmare, which costs the same as the War Banner, but is strictly worse in all situations.
Unless you cause fear and need to outnumber the enemy and autobreak him. But you're right. I should take the War Banner. I think I'll replace the extra rank banner with the war banner.

Thanks for the ideas. The War Banner is in. :)

#4 ·
Yes, he can.
Well, that's certainly news to me. It makes me wonder if there is ever a reason to have a character on foot who doesn't need to be on foot. I've literally never seen this done. Assuming this is true, you have taught me something valuable.

Yes, that's the point.
Raise Dead creates a new unit. You say that you intend to use the Sceptre to bring your existing Zombie Horde to 35 models. It's not possible to do that, though you could create a new unit of 10-12 using raise dead and then use IoN to raise 5-10 at a time to bolster that.

8 casting dice and three bound spells is a lot in my book. It's not Tzeentch, but it's still strong.
Difference of opinion, I guess. With my luck and a canny opponent, I'd get my magic shut down on the turn that I most need it. If that doesn't happen to you, then you are right. My opinion on magic is that "just enough" is exactly the right amount to have, because "more than enough" usually means you are short in other areas. I just think that VC need to cast a lot of spells each turn to be successful, which means having an overabundance of dice to get past defenses.

Unless you cause fear and need to outnumber the enemy and autobreak him. But you're right. I should take the War Banner. I think I'll replace the extra rank banner with the war banner.
The "extra rank banner" is the Banner of Endless Nightmare, which is what I said.

The outnumbering banner (the Banner of the Dead Legion) is fine, though in my opinion, still generally inferior to the war banner. Since you can only have one War Banner though, I think you're making the right choice :)

Thanks for the ideas. The War Banner is in. :)

#5 ·
Ah, I figured out what my confusion was concering mounted characters, and why I have never seen it before.

Mounted characters can join units of unmounted infantry, but since they are no longer "man sized" can be picked out individually by magic and shooting, which eliminates some of the usefulness of joining a unit.

#7 ·
I find it tough to justify to myself the drakenhof banner in 2,000 pts. (assuming that's 2,000, didn't ad it up myself =) ).

Perhaps it's just the armies I usually play, but I see a lot of flaming attacks coming my way! Your magic defense is only 'average' without the balefires, so they really need to stay alive. (There's also the problem where if the corpse carts are in the battle line they die, if they hide behind the balefire isn't guaranteed to be in range.) Otherwise a magic heavy enemy will be able to push through and burn down that unit. I don't think you should take it out, just thinking out loud really =). I could never bring myself to put a 245pt BSB into a 2,000 pt list. (Unless of course it was the block of 100 GG list!)

#8 ·
I find it tough to justify to myself the drakenhof banner in 2,000 pts. (assuming that's 2,000, didn't ad it up myself =) ).

Perhaps it's just the armies I usually play, but I see a lot of flaming attacks coming my way! Your magic defense is only 'average' without the balefires, so they really need to stay alive. (There's also the problem where if the corpse carts are in the battle line they die, if they hide behind the balefire isn't guaranteed to be in range.) Otherwise a magic heavy enemy will be able to push through and burn down that unit. I don't think you should take it out, just thinking out loud really =). I could never bring myself to put a 245pt BSB into a 2,000 pt list. (Unless of course it was the block of 100 GG list!)
What do you play against where you see a lot of flaming atacks?

#12 ·
The two carts will supress enemy magic, as will the 5 dispel dice and the single scroll.
Do your corpse carts have balefire? If they do I'd consider dropping one for a necromancer with either staff of sorcery or 2 dispel scrolls as that would be a better magic defence with his extra dispel dice added to the pool and another vanhels in case your lord doesn't roll it. Guaranteeing at least 3 vanhels is great as it is a game winning spell.

Also I wouldn't put a necromancer on a corpse cart as it creates creates a large expensive target for the opponent, I don't think having a necromancer on a 50x100mm base is a good idea, both units are safer when separated, the cart is hidden behind your line and necromancers in units.

The rest of your army looks fine, I'm sure you know where your your characters will be best suited as your grave guard will not always need the regeneration the most during the game. I think to make the most of him you need to shuffle him around your units during the game to where he is needed most, just wanted to point it out in case anyone else uses him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.