500 points? eep - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 500 points? eep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 points? eep

I have entered in a tournament that over several months grows in size, first game is 500 points a side and i am really worried as i cant figure out how to build a competitive army at this size. Everybody i talk to who is also playing in it has some really hardcore list such as Dragon mage, or giant.

I was just wondering if anyone can help me making a 500 point list that will be able to stand up to these style lists.

The army i plan to play with consist of the following

Vampire - Forbidden Law, power stone

Vampire - Forbidden Law, power stone

10 x Skeletons, Spear, Banner

10 x Skeletons, Spear

Total - 498 points

Basically i dont expect many people to be able to dispel two spells casting on 4 dice each, on turn one of the game, and i don’t think anyone will bother with dispel scrolls just yet either, but i have no idea what law to even run on these vampires, i have tried fire but it wasn’t as great as i had hoped.

Also this really is a one trick army and if it fails to do much then i am in a world of pain.

If anyone could give me some advice, or a list they have had success with i would be ever grateful.

Last edited by Cut Your Ribbon; September 29th, 2008 at 05:44.
    "Playing it safe is the most popular way to fail." - Elliott Smith.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds pretty interesting! Personally I don't think relying on magic at 500pts is a good idea, as magic is easy enough to defend against with very few points. My guess is that most people will take a dispel scroll even at that level.

Like you said this list relies on the success of those first two spells, but you are probably better investing in infantry blocks with a nasty combat vampire or two rather than spending heaps on trying to buff magic ability. My advice would be to invest in cheap raising abilities (eg lord of the dead) for your vampire, and then focus on getting some numbers on the table.

For example you could run a vamp with lord of the dead, flayed hauberk and maybe a cheap magic weapon as the general. This means that you can have 3 single dice attempts (2 pool dice + the 1 generated by the vamp) to add skeletons to your units. The skeleton units are probably best at about 15 (or 20?) strong with standards and no spears. At 15 models with a standard these guys are only 128pts, and with lord of the dead their numbers can be increased.

Anyway that's what I'd suggest as the base of a 500pt army, there is still 100pts or so left to play around with so you could easily add a unit of wolves or instead drop some skeletons and add a vampire or wight king.
    Last edited by Viewmaster; September 29th, 2008 at 07:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As viewmaster suggested, run a vampire with lord of the dead as you dont have many starting points, so will need to increase your units sizes after play.

500 point games should be easy for vampire counts, as they can make their army larger, while your opponent is stuck with what he starts with.
    A wraith with an angels body, demon with a smile of gold. You soul sucker, I won't become like you. -Atreyu

+ Reply to Thread