2000 Vampire Counts - Competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Vampire Counts - Competitive

2,000 Vampire Counts - Competitive (Fun & Tournament)
    1,999 points | 91 models | 9 Power Dice & 6 Dispell Dice
    Lord (355 points)
    Vampire Lord (355)
    • Level 2 Wizard and knows spells from the Lore of Vampires
    • Vampiric Powers: Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
    • Magic Items: Helm of Commandment, Dispell Scroll
    • Hand Weapon, Undead, Vampire
    Heroes (375 points)
    Necromancer (195)
    • Level 1 Wizard and knows 2 Necromancy Spells (Invocation of Nehek and Raise Dead)
    • Magic Items: Dispell Scroll
    • Hand Weapon, Undead
    • Mounted on Corpse Cart with Unholy Loadstone
    • Grasping Hands, Undead, Regeneration, Miasma of Deathly Vigour, 5+ Armor
    Vampire (180 )
    • Level 1 Wizard and knows spells from the Lore of Vampires
    • Vampiric Powers: Avatar of Death, Walking Death
    • Magic Items: Crown of the Damned

Core Units (536 points)
    12 Crypt Ghouls (104)
    • Hand Weapon, Crypt Ghast
    • Undead, Poisoned Attacks
    12 Crypt Ghouls (104)

10 Crypt Ghouls (88 )

20 Skeleton Warriors (180 )
    • Hand Weapon, Shield, Light Armor, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion
    • Undead
    6 Dire Wolves (58 )
    • Hand Weapon, Doom Wolf
    • Undead, Fast Cavalry

Special Units (385 points)
    20 Grave Guard (305)
    • Hand Weapon, Shield, Heavy Armor, Seneschal, Musician, Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos
    • Undead, Wight Blade
    4 Fell Bats (80 )
    • Hand Weapon
    • Undead, Flying Unit
    Rare Units (350 points)
    Varghulf (175)
    • Hand Weapon, Undead, Vampire, Terror, Regenerate, Bestial Fury, Hatred (All enemies)
    3 Cairn Wraiths (175)
    • Great Weapons
    • Tomb Banshee, Hand Weapon, Ghostly Howl
    • Undead, Ethereal, Skirmishers, Terror

The Battle Plan
    I will move slowly towards the enemy, trying to achieve 2 full turns out of combat. This is so I can boost my Ghouls numbers with the Corpse Cart nearby and my Vampire Lord with Summon Ghouls. While the bulk of my line moves slowly up the field, trying to grow in size. On one flank, I will send the Dire Wolves as a screen for Varghulf, trying to take out gun crews, fast cav or skirmishers. My Cairn Wraiths and Fell Bats will do the same on my other flank. I will also use these units (and Zombies created from Raise Dead) to bog down any units I don't want to face early in the game.

By Turn 3 I hope to be in the thick of combat with the enemy, charging and being charged. Hopefully by now my Ghouls have doubled in size from units of 12 to 24. My Vampire Lord will remain in his unit of 10 Ghouls which will be positioned behind the other 2 Ghoul units (which will be growing via Incantations of Nehek) and the bulk of my army. My Lord will use his Helm of Commandment to boost a units WS to 7 and hopefully my Corpse Cart will still be around to keep my units Striking First in CC.

After that, it is rather hard to plan... there are so many things that can happen in a game. But I hope that was enough information to hopefully get you to understand the premise of my army.

I look forward to hearing back from all of you, I enjoy all forms of criticism.

Thanks,
    Count Bud

Last edited by budrique; November 12th, 2008 at 21:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't somebody have any comments to make on this army list? Do you think this army would work? Do you think some of my unit choices are dumb, why? etc...

I'd like to hear back from you... I've had 67 "views" and 0 "replies"

I'm new to 7th edition Fantasy, but have only played 6th Edition Dark Elves. I'm looking at purchasing models soon and was hoping to have my list somewhat decided beforehand.

Count Bud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I have a few comments.
    1. Your vampire lord has no save at all, I would really really look at equipping him with something, because there are any number of units that could land a charge on him and kill him oin onte turn.
    2. I'm not sure if you might be better with a 200 point vampire than with the necro on cart, I really don't see the advantage in them unless you need the ASF from the cart.
    3. the units of ghouls are too small in my opinion, they would die to handguns/pistoliers/outriders/crossbows.
    4. The wraith unit is a points sink in my opinion, with the amount of magic weapons around I don't think they will survive many games, although they do provide a skirmish option I suppose.
    5. 4 bats without summon creatures of the night is pretty useless once battle is joined, you could get summon creatures, or you could make them bigger to start with.

I would suggest that another character could be used in order to promote your magic phase. Although you have nine dice total, your lord generates five of them, should he die/roll useless spells then you have huge problems.
    For comparision my magic light combat heavy build had nine power dice, so if you are relying on magic I think you might need to go further to ensure you get the magic through.
    Arms are an instrument of evil, No measure for thoughtful men until there fail all other choice but sad acceptance of it.
    Sun-Tse : The art of war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I second those comments. The vampire lord is too vunerable, i've had bad experiences using vampires without armies, last week I lost both to shooting/poisen ranged weapons. The ghoul units are a bit small, i'd never go below 15, its going to be hard to boost more than one unit from 12 to 24.. I don't think wraiths are too bad, the banshee could be a good idea, though i've never had any success with wraiths, they're hard to use in combat, very hit n miss. Though if you keep them out of combat and use the banshee thats probably going to be fine against low ld armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re"vamped" list

2,000 Vampire Counts - Competitive

1,997 points | 98 models | 11 Power Dice & 6 Dispell Dice

Lord (440 points)

Vampire Lord (440 points)
    • Level 3 Wizard and knows spells fromt he Lore of Vampires
    • Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
    • Helm of Commandment, Crown of the Damned, Dispell Scroll
    Heroes (375 points)
    Necromancer (195 points)
    • Level 1 Wizard and knows Invocation of Nehek and Raise Dead Necromancy Spells
    • Dispell Scroll
    • Hand Weapon, Undead
    • Mounted on a Corpse Cart with Unholy Loadstone
    • Grasping Hands, Undead, Regeneration, Miasma of Deathly Vigour, 5+ Armor
    Vampire (180 points)
    • Level 1 Wizard and knows spells from the Lore of Vampires
    • Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death
    • Talisman of Protection, Sword of Battle

Core Units (582 points)

20 Crypt Ghouls (168 points)
    20 Crypt Ghouls (168 points)
    20 Skeleton Warriors (180 points)
    • Hand Weapon, Shield, Light Armor, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion
    • Undead
    7 Dire Wolves (66 points)
    • Hand Weapon, Doom Wolf
    • Undead, Fast Cavalry

Special Units (425 points)

20 Grave Guard (305 points)
    • Hand Weapon, Shield, Heavy Armor, Seneschal, Musician, Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos
    • Undead, Wight Blade

6 Fell Bats (120 points)
    • Hand Weapon
    • Undead, Flying Unit

Rare Units (175 points)

Varghulf (175 points)
    • Hand Weapon, Undead, Vampire, Terror, Regenerate, Bestial Fury, Hatred (All enemies)

I appreciate your comments and after thinking it over, I do agree with them. So I have decided to re"vamp" my list and post it on here again, I'll hopefully receive some feedback again.

So basically I have removed the Cairn Wraiths + Banshee and 1 unit of Ghouls. This has allowed me to beef up my Vampire Lord with a ward save, and beef up my other 2 units of Ghouls and add a 2 more Fell Bats. I also changed my Vampire hero a little bit, but I still plan on using him with the Grave Guard. He is a little stronger magically (level 2) and still has a decent armor save (can you use a shield + sword of battle to gain the +1 AS?) and atleast some sort of ward save, also I gave him an additional attack which he benefits from his magic weapon. Let me know what you guys/girls think,
    thanks,

Count Bud
    Last edited by budrique; November 22nd, 2008 at 17:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

forgot

whoops, forgot to mention that I also upgraded my Vampire Lord to a level 4 magic user...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Yeah I think thats looking better, I like this kind of list where you have 4 blocks of infantry and then some other stuff, works against most armies quite well. Though you can't raise your skeletons beyond their starting size, though that isn't too bad I guess starting with 20.

Also make sure you don't post an individual points cost or one which you could work out, its against posting rules, for example, the points of a ghast. Or the points of 10 basic skeletons or ghouls etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Whoops, I forgot to take away those point totals, I have edited that list. Thanks for the reminder!

Glad to hear you think this list looks more effective. I did end up playing a game with them against a Chaos Warriors army. I wiped them out by the end of turn 6, my vampire lord was having a field day after I removed his sorcerers!

Count Bud

+ Reply to Thread