Trying My Hand at 2k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying My Hand at 2k

Before I get into posting the list, allow me a bit of rambling to explain its origins. As I've said before, I am a veteran of both 40k and Fantasy, but relatively new to the new edition of Vampire Counts. I know their rules almost by heart, but have only been able to play a few 1,000 point lists up to this point due to...monetary restraints. Anyway, I have since had an increase in income and, being challenged to a 2,000 point game this weekend, I made a list based simply on the models I have at this point in time. Soon more will come and I'll have a greater variety.

Lords:
    Vampire Lord - 205
    Level 3 - 50
    Accursed Armour - 25
    Black Periapt - 15
    2 Dispel Scrolls - 50
    Forbidden Lore - 35
    Lord of the Dead - 15
    Master of the Black Arts - 50

Heroes:
    Vampire - 100
    Cadaverous Cuirass - 15
    Power Stone - 20
    Dark Acolyte - 30

Wight King - 75
    Battle Standard Bearer - 25
    Great Weapon - 10
    Royal Standard of the Strigos - 35

Core:
    19xSkeleton Warriors - 152
    Full Command - 20
    Spears - 19
    Banner of the Endless Nightmare - 25

Full Command - 20
    Banner of Everlasting Death - 15

20xZombie Horde

5xDire Wolves

5xDire Wolves

Special:
    19xGrave Guard - 228
    Full Command - 30
    Banner of the Barrows - 45

5xBlack Knights - 120
    Full Command - 40
    Barding - 20
    Banner of Unholy Vigour - 25

Rare:
    Varghulf

Total - 2001

List tactics are fairly straight forward. For this list I focused more on the magic phase than the combat phase. I figured that with enough magic to throw around, I can keep my army at full strength and keep them moving around the field. The Undead's strengths are fear and outnumbering, and to capitalise on those strengths, magic is a must. With T6, a 5+ armour save, and (if I have my way), a whole lot of skeletons, my general shouldn't be too easy to wipe out. Just pray I don't miscast! The hero level vamp is there for support, really, adding just a bit more "umph" to the magic phase with another power die and the stone of awesome. I know the list is sparce on Dispel dice, with only five being generated, but hopefully with the two scrolls and intelligent use of the Black Periapt, I can still shut down most of my opponent's magical hyjinks. The Wight King is there to, well, because I find the use of a BSB at 2k just fun! Added to the Grave Guard and their Banner of the Barrows, the unit is now at +1 to hit and rerolling all misses in the first round. Glee! The Zombies, of course, are a meat shield, and the Dire Wolves are my screeners. The Varghulf and Black Knights will be my flank chargers. With the ability to march on their own, the Black Knights have just as impressive a movement rate as the Varghulf, so yay!

So, there it is. Comments are welcome, though keep in mind, I have little else to work with than this. I have some wraiths (I. Love. Terror!) that I wish I could have fit in, but I think the Varghulf fills their role adequately. I have no more Black Knights at the moment, so that's why there's only five. I have a Necromancer and Corpse Cart that I didn't take, just because I wanted to focus on the army more than the characters. So...yeah. Comment away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

First off it's against forum rules to post individual points costs, just fyi i'd change that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDorksider View Post
    Lords:
    Vampire Lord
    Level 3
    Accursed Armour
    Black Periapt -
    2 Dispel Scrolls
    Forbidden Lore
    Lord of the Dead
    Master of the Black Arts
    Looks like a caster lord, If you have ghouls then I'd make a unit of 10 with a ghast as his body guard, he shouldn't be in combat anyway. He can always raise a unit of zombies.

Heroes:
    Vampire - 100
    Cadaverous Cuirass - 15
    Power Stone - 20
    Dark Acolyte - 30
    why not avatar of death instead of the cuirass? its 5 pts more and gives you a better armor save or more hitting power.

Wight King - 75
    Battle Standard Bearer - 25
    Great Weapon - 10
    Royal Standard of the Strigos - 35
    For extra magic, why not make this guy a vamp w/dark acolyte and avatar of death instead, much more magic, a little squishier though, and more points.

Core:
    Full Command - 20
    Spears - 19
    Banner of the Endless Nightmare -

Full Command - 20
    Banner of Everlasting Death -

20xZombie Horde

5xDire Wolves

5xDire Wolves
    Personally I don't think the everlasting death banner is worth it, never used it though. I'd drop that for the extra points you have to spend on the characters. Also, why not warbanner instead of banner of endless nightmare, the warbanner is an unconditional +1 instead of dependent on rank for the same cost.

Special:
    19xGrave Guard - 228
    Full Command - 30
    Banner of the Barrows -

5xBlack Knights - 120
    Full Command - 40
    Barding - 20
    Banner of Unholy Vigour -

Rare:
    Varghulf

All good, the unholy vigour gives your black knights the ability to stray away from the varghulf (since most people run those together).

The grave guard is nice too, oh, forgot to mention this but instead of full command on all your units I would drop the musician on everything except the knights (where one lost model is huge), with the other units I don't think its worth it, especially not witht he GG as your BSB will be there and the battle standard makes units within 12" lose 1 less model than normal (alot of people forget that rule).
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Advice

Thanks, MadLarkin. I was unaware of the rule about individual points costs, so thanks for that too. I was relieved to see some good advice on there. So, using some of your tips, here's what I came up with.

Lords:
    Vampire Lord - Accursed Armour - Black Periapt - 2 Dispel Scrolls - Forbidden Lore - Lord of the Dead - Master of the Black Arts

Heroes:
    Vampire - Power Stone - Avatar of Death (Any, depending on my mood) - Dark Acolyte

Wight King - Battle Standard - Great Weapon - Royal Standard of Strigos

Core:
    19xSkeleton Warriors - Champion - Standard Bearer
    20xSkeleton Warriors - Champion - Standard Bearer - Spears - War Banner
    10x Crypt Ghouls - Crypt Ghast

Special:
    19xGrave Guard - Seneschal - Standard Bearer - Banner of the Barrows

5xBlack Knights - Full Command - Barding - Standard of Unholy Vigour

Rare:
    Varghulf - 'nuff said!

The only thing I can't change right now is the BSB. I have one of the limited edition Blood Dragon BSB models on it's way, but it might not get here by the time I need it. I do, however, have the old Krell model and have been dying to put it on the field. If the Blood Dragon does get here in time, I'll drop ten skellies of the twenty man unit, since I can buff it up with Lord of the Dead anyway, drop the Wight King and make that Vampire BSB you recommended, and even toss in my one last Black Knight for a total of six (think of it as a free wound.) Boom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Smart

If any of you are reading my 'updated' list based on MasterLarkin's suggestions and thinking "Ummm....there's somfin' missin'..." you're absolutely right. Seems that I, in a fit of what I'm going to inaccurately call genius, forgot to put my two units of five Dire Wolves in the list. They are still there, they will still get pumped full of arrows and crossbow bolts, and it shall be glorious! There's my missing 80 points and thank you.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Vampire Lord - Accursed Armour - Black Periapt - 2 Dispel Scrolls - Forbidden Lore - Lord of the Dead - Master of the Black Arts
    for a caster lord with the accursed armour, you really should give him the sword of striking... with effective WS4, you'll still be hitting most stuff on 3's thanks to the sword! sometimes you'll find you don't want to always lore of fire (against high elves for example who can take plenty of dragon armour!) against chaos warriors for example, lore of metal is best because you kill their hardest stuff on 2's with spells like rule of burning iron and spirit of the forge!!!

i'd also drop the dispel scrolls... add in a 3rd magic level for magical defense and an extra power dice. other solid magic items include the book of arkhan and the hand of dust!

Heroes:
    Vampire - Power Stone - Avatar of Death (Any, depending on my mood) - Dark Acolyte
    lose the power stone - take the helm of commandment for your support caster... gives your WS6 to another undead unit as long as you're not in combat! makes grave guard good! (also allows you to save the banner of the barrows for the black knights who really, really need it!!!)

Wight King - Battle Standard - Great Weapon - Royal Standard of Strigos
    put him with the black knights. they really could use the extra hitting power... a really fun item that sees little use is the gem of blood! it's great on a wight king because he can still survive even if you roll a 1 for the gem... it's great fun to watch the enemy killing blow themselves!!!
    also, sword and shield him all the way... if you want extra killiness, then give him the sword of kings for a 5+ killing blow.

Core:
    20xSkeleton Warriors - Champion - Standard Bearer - Spears - War Banner
    lose the spears... skellies win by giving a character in the unit the added combat res!

the ghould need more numbers too - 10 just isn't enough as most people will fear the nasty things that poison can do!

the dogs i find are trash... fast cav yes, but fell bats or bat swarms do their job way better!

Special:
    the banner of the barrows is far better off on the black knights who are totally relyent on kills for their combat res! give these guys something like the war banner, or royal banner of strigois or screaming banner...

5xBlack Knights - Full Command - Barding - Standard of Unholy Vigour
    lose the musician to save on pts. these guys need a character of some sort for support. banner of the barrows is a MUST! wiffling your attacks and crumbling for it sucks!

also lose the barding as it's really just slowing you down! now you're as fast as an elf heavy knight, and faster than cold ones and human heavy cav!

Rare:
    Varghulf - 'nuff said!

having a fighty vamp with the walking death power i find is almost a must... it's like having a second banner in a unit!

i also think you're a little light on magic really... keep in mind at 2000pts most armies will at the very least have 1 scroll caddy w/2x dispel scrolls + 1 other wizard. (either a 2nd scroll caddy or else a high level wizard...)
    being an army so relyant on magic, i like to go for the overkill! get a necromancer if you want a scroll caddy of your own and stick him on a corpse cart w/balefire to hinder your opponent's wizards... a bound magic item or two is also helpfull as they can either be held in reserve and used after all the dispel dice have been thrown, or else they can be used to sucker out a DD or three so your more important stuff can go off!
    right now you're sitting at just 8 power dice - only slightly above average for 2000pts! i don't feel comfortable untill i hit 10 power dice!!!

cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final

Okay. I know there are few out there who care, but, I'm going to post the final incarnation of the list I'm going to be running tomorrow. I got my Blood Dragon BSB model yesterday, so I made some serious changes. And while I do appreciate experiment's advice, I didn't heed it much due to points limitations, my own preferences, and model selection. Though I will thank them for revealing the fact that I forgot to add the level three to my Lord in my first update. Anyway, here's exactly what I plan to run tomorrow:

Lords:
    Vampire Lord - Level 3 - The Accursed Armour - Black Periapt - 2 Dispel Scrolls - Forbidden Lore - Lord of the Dead - Master of the Black Arts

Heroes:
    Vampire - Sceptre de Noirot - Avatar of Death(HW/Shield) - Dark Acolyte
    Vampire - Battle Standard Bearer - Avatar of Death(Great Weapon) - Walking Death - Royal Standard of Strigos

Core:
    10xSkeleton Warriors - Champion - Standard Bearer - Spears - War Banner
    5xDire Wolves
    5xDire Wolves

Special:
    6xBlack Knights - Full Command - Barding - Standard of Unholy Vigour

Rare:
    Varghulf

The tactics remain much the same except for the fact that a few power dice will be thrown the first magic phase or two to bolster up the ten man unit of skellies especially. It might be more sound to drop the musician off the Black Knights now with one more guy added, but I'm going to avoid it for now. We'll see how it works.

+ Reply to Thread