2000pts vampire army for local league - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pts vampire army for local league

As i said on the necron forum i will be also participate in a WFB local league. So the army i thought off is:

1 Vampire lord
    (red fury, infinite hatred, avatar of death, walach's bloody hauberk, wristbands of black gold, sword of battle, abyssal terror) 525pts

1 Vampire (BSB )
    (infinite hatred, avatar of death, war banner) 195pts

1 Vampire
    (dark acolyte, lord of the dead, flayed hauberk, dispel scroll) 195pts

1 Vampire
    (dark acolyte, avatar of death, helm of commandment) 180pts

10 Skeleton warriors (full command) 100pts
    10 Skeleton warriros (full command) 100pts

10 Ghouls 80pts

5 Black Knights (full command) 180pts
    (barding)

20 Graveguard (full command) 270pts

1 Varghulf 175pts

Total 2000pts

Any suggestions on that roster. I have in thought also to put some magical banners on graveguard and black knights but i dont know which one to use....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First concern i have is i think only Manfreed may ride a abyssal terror. I would try to get your skeleton units up to maybe 15 since you only have 1 lord of the dead.
    I would make your lord on a Horse so he can go with BK's, 2nd vampire, drop the battle standard and build him to kick ass in your GG squad. Give your GG bearer either Barrows or Stirgo, and maybe drop the 10 ghouls for either more skeletons or some dire wolfs to help the BK's.
    Also 16 GG should do at the 2000pts and with the magic you run. There easy to raise and should do fine.
    Last edited by ZombieCancer; May 21st, 2009 at 19:59.
    Good Luck and have fun!

8th Ed WOOT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the abyssal terror isn't worth it so I'm as I said in another post, if you want to go with a combat orientated lord this one is probably the best:
    Lord +1lvl

nightmare

red fury
    flying horror
    AOD

dreadlance
    wristbands of black gold

Try it and you'll see he kicks ass, because he inflicts 4str 7 hits and for every wound you cause another str7 hit. The best part is that the dude flys and can join units.

I think you have a bad BSB.
    For 50 points more you can have a wight king equiped with the drakkenhoff banner to protect those GG.

Also try give the vamp with the helm a black periapt, it really helps.

I think its good to go with either skellies or ghouls, not bothe. In wich case i would choose ghouls because they are almost if not more resillient then skellies and they have awesome 2 poisend attacks.

Try give the GG a magic banner, I think the banner of the dead legion is good but a regular war banner would be nice to.

I don't like putting command moddels in Black knights because the banner is an easy 100 VP for your opponent especially because you are only with 5 in a unit. Just play a unit of 6 plain Black knights, They will scare your opponent almost as much as yours but don't cost as much and move faster.

The vargulf is a really good choise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am fairly certain that giving your vampire flying horror and then mounting him on a nightmare gets rid of the flying.
    Think about it, if the vampire can fly, and he rides a horse that can't fly, and the vampire can't fly off of the horse, the horse still can't fly... the vampire can't fly.

You could get a flying horse for less points by taking the Winged Hellsteed, but if you do that I doubt he can still join units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...05_Edition.pdf
    see the firts one of vampiric powers: I think the vampires just takes the steed between his legs and flies away.

A hellsteed can't join units because he has a flying mount, my vampire can because it isn't the mount thats flying its the vamp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems strange to me, but the question has been asked and answered in the FAQ.

It would be cost effective to give the Vampire Dread Knight instead of taking the Nightmare seperately. The only downside is that you would lose the magical lance in place of a mundane lance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That way you can't take red fury cuase its to expensive.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Cp_Morgan View Post
    1 Vampire lord
    (red fury, infinite hatred, avatar of death, walach's bloody hauberk, wristbands of black gold, sword of battle, abyssal terror) 525pts

+++ not the most effective vamp lord really...
    - abyssal terror is eaisly the very worst mount option! for starters, it's a 'medium' class monster with only slightly above average T/wounds and it has no save! also, the wristbands won't protect the mount - only the character...
    - sword of battle?!? come on! there's waaaay better options for a magic toy!!! sword of kings at the very least for KB... or balfire spike for a cheapo lance... or the ultiment weapon, the dreadlance + red fuyr combo for an easy "I savage you utterly!" win!!!

i'd change this guy up and make him a wee bit more hitty... he's not that fighty a vamp lord overall, and he's also a terrible wizard! at least make him dominant in one of the two categories...+++

1 Vampire (BSB )
    (infinite hatred, avatar of death, war banner) 195pts

+++ what?! war banner?!?! why even waste the pts... hell, you can get the exact same result by just giving him the Walking Death power and then take a real banner instead!!!
    BSB's typically carry either the drakenhof banner (for the regen ability) or else a banner that add's to the potencey of the unit their going to join! (ie: adding the blood keep banner to a unit of graveguard/black knights w/banner of the barrows so they don't get shot to ribbons...)+++

1 Vampire
    (dark acolyte, lord of the dead, flayed hauberk, dispel scroll) 195pts

+++ flayed hauberk typically screams 'i'm going to be a fighty vamp.' scrolls are for pure magicy vamps... give this guy something to make him a bit hittier in combat as he can really take the punishment!+++

1 Vampire
    (dark acolyte, avatar of death, helm of commandment) 180pts

+++lose the avatar, take lord of the dead instead... this guy should be placed nice and safe like behind your main fighting line so that he can always give out his WS6 to a unit in need!+++

10 Skeleton warriors (full command) 100pts
    10 Skeleton warriros (full command) 100pts

+++ absolutely nowhere near enough starting models... 10 skellies can be wiped out fairly easily shouls your opponent get first turn...
    never, ever go into 2000+pts games with less than 15-18 starting models in a unit!!! (especially if you're sticking vampires into said unit as they will draw even more fire than normal!)

also, give both units a magic banner... the big reason to take skellies is to gain a solid static combat res and the added advantage of a magical banner!
    for example, a war banner means you start combat with a score of 6 even before any blows are struck! or else the banner of the dead legion will help ensure that you always outnumber your opponent, making it almost garunteed they'll run if beaten in combat! or else giving a big block the icon of vengeance to anchor your flank for the entire game. even should your general bite the dust, you'll still have a solid scoring unit left to you that doesn't need to be babysat by another vampire...+++

10 Ghouls 80pts

+++ again, needs to be at least 15 strong - especially as you can't raise more of these guys!!! people fear ghouls. they're tough, and poison is never to be underestimated!+++

5 Black Knights (full command) 180pts
    (barding)

+++ lose the barding as it's only slowing you down... drop the musician, add 2-3 more knights and give the unit either the royal banner of strigos or banner of the barrows...
    otherwise, lose them compleatly as right now they're just free VP's for your opponent!+++

20 Graveguard (full command) 270pts

+++ give a magic banner. i prefer either the screaming banner to make it alot harder for your opponent's to flank charge you or hit you with a cavalry charge, or else royal banner for the hatred special rule...+++

1 Varghulf 175pts

Total 2000pts

Any suggestions on that roster. I have in thought also to put some magical banners on graveguard and black knights but i dont know which one to use....
    i'd tool around your lord a bit more to make him alot nastier than he currently is... also, 9 power dice seems a wee bit too 'average' IMHO. considering how relyant vamps are on their magic, i think you should try to at least get some bound magic items into the list as they're dead handy for sucking out dispel dice before unleashing your real magical barrage!
    good items include the ever-useful book of arkhan and staff of damnation. the hand of dust can be a nasty surprise too!

your basic core units need more bodies. in 2000pts, a unit of 10 skellies is fairly easy to wipe out with just a magic missile and a unit or two of missile troops! (especially if you're up against say, elves of any flavour, empire, dwarves or skaven!!!)

those black knights also need more bodies - especially if you're not going to buff them with the addition of a wight king leader! knights have a terrible habbit of suffering from 'rubber lance syndrome' when they charge... as you don't have ranks backing you up, you need to rely on pure killing power. the extra couple of bodies also help ensure that missile fire doesn't decimate the unit before it gets to it's target!!!
    another thought is to include some dire wolves or fell bats to act as a missile screen for your knights. thanks to danse macabre, you can still charge in the magic phase so it's quite possible to ensure that your knights never have to take a single arrow/shot from anything that's not on a hill/elevated position!

hope this helps,
    cheers!

+ Reply to Thread