Possibly the worst 2250 list I've ever made - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly the worst 2250 list I've ever made

Or the best. No idea. I haven't played Vampire Counts since the previous printing of their army book, and instead focus most of my time on projects like my Bretonnians, Slaanesh Demons, and Chaos Dwarfs. I've got an event coming up on Saturday, I fell behind on my painting, so this is my attempt at getting a list that will feel comfortable to me while still being a low enough model count that I can get it finished before gametime.

Vampire Lord
    Level 3, Dread Knight, Dreadlance, Red Fury, Walking Death

Vampire
    Dread Knight, Balefire Spike

Vampire
    Dread Knight, BSB, Drakenhof Banner

Wight Lord
    Barded Skeletal Steed, Sword of Kings

10 Skellies
    10 Skellies
    10 Skellies (well... there goes all my comp.)

5 Dire Wolves

4 Fell Bats

5 Black Knights
    Full Command, Royal Standard of Strigos

5 Black Knights
    Champion and Standard Bearer, Banner of the Barrows

5 Blood Knights
    Full Command, Hellfire Banner

2 Cairn Wraiths
    1 Banshee

So the general gist is pretty obvious. Some banners confer benefits on an entire unit, so depending on my opponent I mix and match where my heroes are supposed to go and hit people in the mouth with a big pile of angry lawnmower. It's a one trick pony and kind of a jerk maneuver, but it's on short notice. My most likely opponents will be Epidemius fueled nurgle demon lists, which is why I want the blood knights rockin' the hellfire banner. I figure this unit should be able to murder pretty much whatever it wants on the charge, even if it has to charge frontage. If I had the extra black knights and time to paint, I'd bump the units up a bit to protect them from shooting, but I'm thinking between the regen banner and the 7 casting dice I can make a decent effort to keep enough guys up that I still hit like a ton of bricks when the melee characters close in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

for combating nurgle daemons, try this set-up fpr your vamp lord;
    red fury + forbidden lore + summon creatures + extra magic level. dreadlance + accursed armour + talisman of protection + nightmare.
    use the forbidden lore to tailor your magic to your opponent's weakness... for example, lore of fire wrecks nurgle in the face! get the charge off, then next turn, cast flaming sword of rhuin on your vamp lord! now he's really mincing those stinkers!

overall, i think you need more skellies and the lord of the dead power... your cav is only really solid on the charge, and KB isn't nearly as much of an anvatage against daemons due to them all having ward saves...
    those skellies will do the bulk of the unit breaking through their SCR + causing fear... give them their 3 ranks + banner and a magical banner for some extra bonus. to save some pts, take 2 skellie units and perhaps a unit of 20 zombies?! (which are still stupid easy to paint as all it takes is flesh colour + cloth + wash = done!)

also, i'd drop 1 unit of black knights and keep the other unit to join your wight king. in general, never, ever, EVER! put a vampire with black knights as they'll lose their ethereal movement... (which is what makes them so amazing!!!)
    as well, give the nightshroud to your wight king as it simply makes him nearly unstoppable - especially when combined with a casting of vanhel's to give him re-rolls to-hit!

oh, and never take wraiths against daemons... they get owned rather badly seeing as all daemons count as having magical attacks for everything!
    if you're looking for a rare choice against daemons, perhaps a speedy black coach to suck-up their power dice w/support from say some fell bats + ghouls (will need the ghoulkin power for the 'free' march move though.) or else a vargulf for flanking work...

hope this helps,
    cheers!

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

To allay your fears, it's a pretty good list. I do have a few suggestions, though.

I'd probably drop the Wraiths. I love them, but your list could use a few more Black Knights. If you drop the Wraiths, you can boost one of the Black Knight units up to a very menacing 10 models and still have 55 points to spare.

I like having a Vampire with the Blood Drinker sword lead my Blood Knights. Every unsaved wound he inflicts will reraise one of your fallen, hideously expensive Blood Knights... and saves you from having to use IoN to reraise them. Also, you don't really need the Kastellan with the Blood Knights.. any of them can accept a challenge. With the extra 55 points you have for the BK/Wraith swap, points from ditching the Kastellan and maybe dropping a single Fell Bat (they're there for march blocking, not fighting), you could replace either your Wight Lord or one of your other Vampires with this Vampire.

I know that you're short for time.. but how many zombies do you have sitting around? You could replace your Skellies with Zombies.. twice as many for the same price. Since they're only there to tarpit until you can get around to charging with your Cav, a higher body count would seem to trump the Skellies higher effectiveness in battle.
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do agree that the Blood Drinker option is a solid one, and will probably drop the balefire spike for that.

The issue with the black knights is that I am so hideously short on time that I would need to run a unit of Bretonnians pretending to be black knights. While that's easy enough to do (a little black primer and some gray drybrushing is most of the work...) it would be a sad face for me to do because I actually put Bretonnians on the table much more frequently.

To be perfectly honest 99% of the reason the cairn wraiths are there is because of their 360 line of sight. This is probably the result of my overreacting terribly to a list I've been testing with the past couple months which may or may not even be in my bracket after round one. It's an interesting contraption that would make for good discussion if the guy running it could be persuaded to post here - it's an ogre kingdoms abomination with Skrag, 4 gorgers, 2 giants, and 3 butchers. That's a LOT of models running around on their own being difficult to charge and occasionally causing nightmares to whoever they bump in to. The rest of the list is just blocks of 3 filler ogres. It's bizarre, and it makes my bretonnians want to cry because none of his stuff is ever in my charge arc and close enough that I'll catch him if he flees.

I will probably make the changes you've suggested. If nothing else, it'll be faster to alter 5 Bretonnians than it will be to paint some of the extra junk on that list. :p

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

I dont' think you need the banshee, the wraiths by themselves would do pretty well to jump in and add some kills. I would prefer to have them a bit bigger though (5+) just because you can get unlucky and lose 3 fairly easily. The enemy would have to really zap them with something hard to do 10+ wounds to them.

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x5)

Eww.. Gorgers. I hate those things. I learned to play WHFB with a guy who ran a list a lot like the one you described. I did ok against it (eventually) by not straying too close to the edges of the board and tarpitting those monsters with Zombies while I ground down the rest of his army. I still don't think I ever got over 50% against that list, though.

One thing about Wraiths in general, you probably only want to run them when you have a lot of dispel dice to keep them from being magic missiled to death. At 2000-2250, I only run mine when I have my full complement of 7DD and something else besides, ie Balefire CC, Skull Staff, or a Scroll or two.
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

+ Reply to Thread