2000 pts beginner list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

2000 pts beginner list

I'm currently working on getting all the rules for WHFB down (I've got most of them, but not all yet) and at the same time learning my way around the VC. I've written this list to be forgiving as well as balanced, I hope it can fulfill these requirements

Lord
    • Vampire Lord ~goes in the Skeleton block with no command
      -Master of the Dark Arts, Forbidden Lore, Lord of the Dead
      -Staff of Damnation, Helm of Commandment, Dispel Scroll
      -Level 3 Wizard

Heroes
    • Vampire ~goes in one Skeleton block with command
      -Avatar of Death (HW/S), Lord of the Dead
      -The Book of Arkhan
    • Vampire ~goes in the other Skeleton block with command
      -Flying Horror, Avatar of Death (GW)
      -Flayed Hauberk
    • Necromancer ~goes on the corpse cart
      -Black Periept, Dispel Scroll
      -Vanhel’s Danse Macabre

Core
    • 10 Skeletons
      -Full Command
    • 10 Skeletons
      -Full Command
    • 10 Skeletons
    • Corpse Cart
      -Unholy Lodestone
    • 7 Dire Wolves

Special
    • 20 Grave Guard
      -Full Command
    • 5 Black Knights

Rare
    • 4 Blood Knights
      -Standard
      -Royal Standard of Strigos

Total: 1996
    PD: 10 + Pariept + 3 Bounds
    DD: 6 + Pariept + 2 Scroll

I'll be relying more upon raising my initial blocks of Skeleton in the first 2 turns. Although I cannot rely on magic, I feel like I should have a good shot with the amount of magic I'm bringing.

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem I see is that you lord is a caster vampire in a tiny unit of skeletons with no command. This is pretty much a sitting duck. If any rank and file unit gets into combat with his unit, he's pretty much a goner. I can't tell you how many vampire lords I've killed through static combat resolution.
    It's entirely possible you can avoid combat with your lord in this case, but it seems to be to be an unnecessary risk.

Other than that worry it looks like a great list!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

The List looks good I would like to weaken the Dire Wolves to 5 and try (by erasing another thing) to afford one or two additional units of DWs. The reason to why you've bought these Wolves is probably to be able to control the BKs, but one unit of Wolves will most likely die to shooting, leaving the BKs uncontrollable

//Naggy

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Blade View Post

LordVampire Lord ~goes in the Skeleton block with no command

-Master of the Dark Arts, Forbidden Lore, Lord of the Dead
    -Staff of Damnation, Helm of Commandment, Dispel Scroll

-Level 3 Wizard

+++ try this for a very solid and hard-to-kill caster who can also stay up front;
    MotDA, forbidden lore, LotD. bitting blade, accursed armour, crown of the danmed, book of arkhan.
    so now you have a T6/4+ ward caster who also inflicts a -3 save modifier... now the fun part! if you want to see true carnage, take lore of beasts and hit your vamp's unit with the book once they're in combat. cast 'the bear's anger' on your lord. so now you're throwing 7 attacks and have S7/T7!!! (yes, the 'uber T7, "i'm a dragon in disguise" vampire...)

give the helm of commandment to a bunkered vampire w/dark acolyte + LotD. all you're losing is 1 point of WS in the end, as your corpse carts/vanhel's takes care of the I4 crisis!!! (well, except against high elves, but they'll have a fun time trying to hurt a T6/7 model anyways!)+++

HeroesVampire ~goes in one Skeleton block with command

-Avatar of Death (HW/S), Lord of the Dead

-The Book of Arkhan

+++ i'd give this vamp the dark acoltye + LotD powers and swap the book of arkhan for the helm of commandment with your lord...
    bunker her behind your main fighting line and give out her WS wherever it's needed most!+++
    Vampire ~goes in the other Skeleton block with command

-Flying Horror, Avatar of Death (GW)

-Flayed Hauberk

+++ the problem here is that while you can carve through stuff, there's the habbit of fluffing your rolls to-hit... especially if you're looking to hunt war machine crews/fast cav units/smaller missile units.

the set-up i use for this kind of hunter is; infinite hatred, hunter in the dark. talisman of the lycni, armour of night, sword of battle.
    this guy still has a huge charge range, but now he's a minimum -3 to-hit with all missile fire! just watch out for auto-hitting stuff like cannonballs & magic missiles...

or else you could go for avatar of death, infinite hatred, wristbands of black gold, talisman of the lycni. far more resilient when hit since you'll have a solid ward save, and still a 5+ save to start with.+++
    Necromancer ~goes on the corpse cart

-Black Periept, Dispel Scroll

-Vanhel’s Danse Macabre

+++ he only generates 1 dice, so i'de swap the periapt for a power stone. gives you some extra dice for the one time you really, really need danse to go off!+++

Core10 Skeletons

-Full Command
    10 Skeletons

-Full Command
    10 Skeletons

+++ be very, very carefull with such small starting units!!! a canny player will simply concentrate their fire on a single unit untill its gone if they go first!
    i'd drop the blood knights to bulk all these units upto at least 15 each, and also add a magic banner or two as well...+++

Corpse Cart

-Unholy Lodestone
    7 Dire Wolves
    +++ lately i've been finding that fell bats work far better for screening tactics... they're even faster, more resilient, and they count as skirmishers to boot since they're a flying unit!
    magic missile will still wreck them of corse, but then dire wolves go down just as fast anyways!+++

Special20 Grave Guard

-Full Command
    +++ run them 7 wide with great weapons and give them the barrows banner. drop the blood knights to help afford the upgrades.+++
    5 Black Knights
    +++ these guys really need the help of a unit champ... they're only a single attack each, and being undead, they have WS poo!
    i'd add in a champion, and give the unit the royal banner for the re-rolls first round.

also as a head's up; never, ever stick a vampire into a unit of black knights!!! if you do, you lose the special ethereal movement ability since the vampire rides a nightmare and not a skeleton poney!
    potentially charging out of woods and/or through obsticles is simply godly for heavy cavalry! there's quite litterally nowhere save a very tall building your opponent can hide!!!+++

Rare4 Blood Knights

-Standard

-Royal Standard of Strigos

+++ i'd drop these guys for now to bulk up the rest of your army... add another black knight or two + champ/banner, get your skellies upto 15 for your front units + add a magic banner or two... perhaps swap the wolves for fell bats?!

right now this unit is so small that it's pretty much 'free' VP's for your opponent... they're also too small to be a safe guard for any character since at only 4 models, any character won't gain the benifit of 'look out sir!' rolls...+++

Total: 1996
    PD: 10 + Pariept + 3 Bounds
    DD: 6 + Pariept + 2 Scroll

I'll be relying more upon raising my initial blocks of Skeleton in the first 2 turns. Although I cannot rely on magic, I feel like I should have a good shot with the amount of magic I'm bringing.
    you have plenty of magic! don't worry too much about your spells not going off. your main problems are;

a) squishy general. your lord is compleatly naked! it's not that hard to put 3 wounds onto a T5 model, even if you do try and hide him in a unit at the back...
    get some armour and if at all possible a ward save onto your general. (because if/when he dies, it's almost a garunteed 'game over' for you!)

b) too much genralisation in characters. vamps don't really make good candidates for trying to balance combat & magic. you're better off picking a role and then building to it! at worst, you're still a Lv1 wizard anyways, so it's not always a bad idea to have a pure fighter hanging around.

c) core units are too small. anyone who's ever fought against vampires before will look at your small units and aim for first turn... they'll concentrate on a single unit untill it's gone, and thus limit your forces right off the bat.
    that's never a good spot to be caught in! get your front 2 units of skellies upto at least 15 so that you can survive an opening barrage... (hopefully!)

d) blood knights. unless you can take 5, don't take any! 4 will go down very quickly as it's an easy chunk of victory points... plus, you can't safely keep characters in the unit since you don't get a look out sir, and hits can be randomised...
    drop them for now, or else lose the black knights & corpse cart so you can bulk out your army!

hope this helps,
    cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 4 BK's would likely work out just fine if properly screened. Usually in a 2k game you'll see 5-6 with the regeneration banner though.

As said earlier, you may want to drop the Blood Knights or Black Knights to bulk up the rest of your army a bit.

+ Reply to Thread