Need Help, Just getting into Vampire counts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help, Just getting into Vampire counts

Hey guys so I am just getting into vampire counts and need to help getting started. I have planned fantasy a few times and until recently I had a 1750 Lizard man army. I decided on VC because I like the models and their whole raising the dead theme. So anyway I have a bunch of stuff but I don't really know what to do with it and was hoping some people could throw some ideas y way and give me some good strategies.

I am looking to play games under 2K so there are not any special characters or lords bogging my first few plays down. Eventually my aim is for a good 2250 but that is a ways off because I want to learn the army really well before I get thrown into that. So I guess I will start by listing what I have.

1 necromancer
    1 necromancer mounted
    2 vampires, specifically the models for Vlad von Carstein and Konrad von Carstein. But I can use them as whatever.

20 Zombies
    20 skeletons
    20 ghouls
    1 corps cart

20 crypt guard

5 Blood knights

I have been trying to come up with a decent list for a while but I really am not sure what to do with this. Ideally I would like to do 1500 or 1750 with this stuff. I don't really have much money right now, If I really have to I could maybe throw $50 at this but it wouldn't be for like another 2 weeks, which is ok cuz I could proxy that stuff till I get it. So If anyone can give me some pointers on where to go with this and maybe throw some nice lists my way so that I can learn the ropes and start making my own lists later. I tired looking at other peoples lists but it doesn't really help when I am limited to what I have and only have a small amount of money to throw at this for quite a while.

Well I guess thanks for at least looking at this and any suggestions at all would be of GREAT help. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I have extremely limited knowledge of the VCs. But right off the bat I'd recommend you to drop the blood knights. They're both incredibly expensive models to buy, and they tend to be a bit too expensive pointswise for smaller battles. Other than that, I think you're on to something. Perhaps try to get some more core units, you can never have too many zombies, since they're both very cheap to field and easy to raise. Perhaps look into getting some other special or rare choice. I went for the Varghulf myself when I started the vamps. Good luck!
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Honestly you're working with a rather strong core bit of stuff there.

Blood knights aren't a terrible unit, you gotta make sure you don't let them get jerked around by someone who knows how to take advantage of their frenzy though. And when they do hit, it's bloody.

I'd grab an extra box of skeletons, and ghouls. That way you can field large squads of them and not worry about raising extras. (though that can be cheaper points wise). In the future decide which of those two you would rather field. as that way you can have many of one or the other. Some Dire Wolves or Bats to go in and catch enemy bait units for your blood knights would also be a very strong decision.

Really I think with what you got now, you could field a 2k list, vampire Lords can really get expensive (and powerful).

Having a vampire with the Helm of Commandment in a Skeleton bunker, behind the grave guard, could give you a squad that can run around with WS6(7) Killing blow, and S4(6). It's a popular, and powerful, tactic.

On the corpse cart, decide if you want it to add balefire (to restrict enemy magic) or load stones (to increase your raising).

I'd take the foot necromancer, and the two vampires for now, the mounted necro can wait if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think blood knights are way to many points for under 2k. They may be powerful but that is still a lot of points that can be spent on other things. I think it would be better to field a varghulf or cairn wraiths. I like 2 cairn wraiths and banshee because they are ethereal which means unless your opponent focuses some magic on them they are very hard to kill. However they do take some strategy because they can be killed by crumbling so you mostly want to send them against units with no magic weapons and little static combat res.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess if I were to attempt a first list it would be something like:

Vampire, Helm of Commandment, Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
    Necromancer, Corpse Cart,2 Power Stone's, Vanhel's Danse Macabre
    Vampire, Book of Arkhan, Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls

5 Dire Wolves
    5 Dire Wolves
    Crypt Ghouls 15, Crypt Ghast

10 Grave Guard, Full Command, Great Weapons, Seneschal
    10 Grave Guard, Full Command, Seneschal

5 Blood Knights ,Full Command, Kastellan

Total Roster Cost: 1496

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightdrow View Post
    So I guess if I were to attempt a first list it would be something like:

Vampire, Helm of Commandment, Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
    Necromancer, Corpse Cart,2 Power Stone's, Vanhel's Danse Macabre

5 Dire Wolves
    5 Dire Wolves

10 Grave Guard, Full Command, Great Weapons, Seneschal
    10 Grave Guard, Full Command, Seneschal

5 Blood Knights ,Full Command, Kastellan

Total Roster Cost: 1496
    Hi Lightdrow,

I hope I can provide some friendly advise and suggestions. I want to first point out your two vampires are naked, no amours on them along with handweapons only. Looks like the only two plausible places for your Vampires are in your grave guard. But if you use your grave guard and engaged in combat what are you using your helm on? Ideally a graveguard but you won't be able to use it. Graveguard in 1500 points with greatswords is not ideal situation 5+ save is terrible. You can see your two direwolf as screens but against any army fielding shooting, any of the elfs or empire or dwarf or even your other army Lizardmen with blowpipes, even they will easily bust right through this. Your protected vampire in a until will not last long. especially with only size 10.

Blood knights in 1500 points will be a hit or miss unit. They are usually not taken due to the fact most of the time a miss at this low point cost although they are very cool. For about 300 points they will be led around their nose due to frenzy as you don't have any units to block their line of sight. Even if they don't due to huge difference in main battle line speed difference leaving you with strange formations or not being able to use them to their full effect. But if you do get them in combat they are amazing.

Sorry for the trouble I don't intend to be harsh but just relaying my thoughts. You have an elite killing list and at 1500 there are not that many elites out there. I can see what you are attempting and suggest that you move away from the super heavy magic and focus more on close combat. With all your magic heavy, our magic tends to be focused on healing undead or raising new ones just move away from it. You really can't do both until about 2000 points. This way you can keep your blood knight but still have a list ready to deal damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the advice some one suggested this to me and it looks pretty good:

Vampire - Helm of Command, Black Periapt, Summon Ghouls, Dark Acolyte

Necromancer - Corpse cart, Balefire, Book of Arkhan, Danse macabre

Wight King - BSB, Drakenhoff Banner, Great Weapon

5 Dire Wolves

15 Crypt Ghouls - Ghast

15 Crypt Ghouls - Ghast

19 Grave Guard - Full Command, Banner of the Barrows

4 Blood Knights - Musician, Standard, Royal Standard of Strigos

What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Skip the black periapt on your vampire and get him some honest to gawds armor! Your general should not be prone to getting poked to death with goblin spears.

Consider giving your necromancer raise-dead. Free canon-fodder is a wonderful thing! Also with the book, and the corpse cart's vigor power, you should be covered on that. Up to you I suppose.

The grave Guard + Wight King unit looks pretty awesome.

Gonna have to be carefull about keeping your units together though, everything but the blood knights are basically stuck within 12" of your general. Keep him protected. But in the end I think you'll be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after getting some advice I came up with two lists this one, which I actually need to figure out where to drop an extra point because I am over by one.

Vampire, Black Periapt, Helm of Commandment, Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
    Necromancer, Nightmare, 2 Power Stone, Vanhel's Danse Macabre

5 Dire Wolves
    15 Crypt Ghouls, Crypt Ghast

15 Grave Guard, Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std, Seneschal
    15 Grave Guard, Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std, Seneschal

5 Blood Knights, Musician Mus, Standard Bearer Std

Total Roster Cost: 1501

Or this one:

Vampire, Black Periapt, Helm of Commandment, Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
    Necromancer, Nightmare, 2 Power Stone, Vanhel's Danse Macabre

5 Dire Wolves
    14 Crypt Ghouls, Crypt Ghast

19 Grave Guard, Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std, Seneschal

5 Blood Knights, Musician Mus, Standard Bearer Std, Royal Standard of Strigos

Total Roster Cost: 1494
    ----------
    Oh, I know alot of people are saying that the Blood knights are hard to use and shouldnt really be taken at this low of a point cost but I got some moddles that I have been hunting for for quite a while and I really love them and want to paint them. So If I am doing lists right now I dont really want to go buy a vargulf right now so I am planning on using the blood knights pretty much no matter what people say right now, it will also let me learn how to use them well I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Your Necromancer would be better off wearing a NightShroud than carrying the Book of Arkhan (in fact sometimes tgar night be a nice thing to give a Wight Lord - "challenge me you says? Ok, then Bretonnian Lord with Lance - your charge bonus shall avail you not and I'm T5!!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast