1000 pts Escalation League - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

1000 pts Escalation League

I've joined a gaming group that is starting an escalation league. Basically, we start with a 500 pts list and every week we add 250 pts to the list. At 1000, 2000 and 3000 pts we are allowed to completely re-write our lists, otherwise the 250 pts can only be in addition to the previous weeks list.

I'm posting to get some opinions on the list I'm considering and its developments:

1000 pts:

Heroes
    • Vampire (General) [190]
      -Dark Apostle, Avatar of Death (HW/S)
      -Black Periapt, Dispel Scroll
    • Vampire [190]
      -Forbidden Lore, Summon Ghouls
      -2 Power Stones

Core
    • 20 Ghouls
      -Ghast
      General goes here
    • 14 Ghouls
      -Ghast
      Non General in this unit
    • 5 Dire Wolves

Special
    • 5 Black Knights

Rare
    • Varghulf

Total: 998
    PD: 5-6 +2 Power Dice
    DD: 4-5 +Dispel Scroll

252 Addition:
    • 5 Black Knights
    • 30 Zombies
    • +1 Ghoul to 14 man unit

Total: 1246
    PD: 5-6 +2 Power Dice
    DD: 4-5 +Dispel Scroll

257 Addition:
    • Vampire [180]
      -Dread Knight, Walking Death
      -Sword of Strength, Enchanted Shield
    • 5 Dire Wolves 40
    • +4 Ghouls, 2 to both units

Total: 1498
    PD: 6-7 +2 Power Dice
    DD: 5-6 +Dispel Scroll

252 Addition:
    • 20 Skeletons [225]
      -Full Command
      -War Banner
      -Spears
      General goes here, mounted Vamp goes to empty ghoul unit
    • +2 Ghouls in the Generals unit
    • +2 Zombie to unit

Total: 1747
    PD: 6-7 +2 Power Dice
    DD: 5-6 +Dispel Scroll

So what do you think of this list and its progressions? It was fairly difficult for me to build the lists, backwards at some points and forwards at others, but I think it has come out alright.

Last edited by Blood_Blade; November 3rd, 2009 at 07:26.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The list look solid, though I suggest swapping Forbidden Lore for Dark Acolyte, knowing all spells of a lore isn't all that helpfull if you can only use 2 power dice.

I also suggest not going for zombie, they are too easy to summon to spent any points on in my opinion. Also either focus on Ghouls and give everyone Summon Ghouls or go for skeletons and give them all Lord of the Dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest dropping the dire wolves because they are too weak and since they are cavalry the are not easy to raise them back. Instead you should go with fell bats because they move faster and can be raised back easier.

I think you should drop a unit of ghouls and take a unit of zombies. This way you have a unit that can hold off your opponent that can be raised quite easily. I understand that zombies can be raised easily but that still means that your vampires must spend a magic phase raising them. I think they would be better off using their magic for gaze of nagash, curse of years, or wind of undeath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

1500 pts Escalation League

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinpanic View Post
    The list look solid, though I suggest swapping Forbidden Lore for Dark Acolyte, knowing all spells of a lore isn't all that helpfull if you can only use 2 power dice.
    But it is handy when I pop those power stones and cast Wind of Undeath/ Summon Undead Horde/ Vanhels Danse on 2-4 power dice. Especially when my opponent assumes I'm running out of dice.

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinpanic View Post
    I also suggest not going for zombie, they are too easy to summon to spent any points on in my opinion. Also either focus on Ghouls and give everyone Summon Ghouls or go for skeletons and give them all Lord of the Dead.
    The zombies are actually better by buying a minimum unit IMO. For 80 pts I get the effect of (at least) 3 power dice, more likely 7 (2 to cast Raise Dead, and 5 for attempts at invocation assuming you fail 1/2). Also assuming my opponent doesn't dispel my attempts. So, for 80 pts I get to free up 7 power dice (and common, how many times do you summon a unit and buff it up enough to be useful? all in the same magic phase? If you do this how effective is the rest of your magic?).

Also, I've found 2 units of Ghouls to be sufficient for aggressive block units. I don't need anymore as I can barely get all my units into melee. A unit of defensive skeletons is a great buy imo, as it creates a safe place for my general. By purchasing the FULL unit, and not worrying about summoning above the unit size, the unit functions as normal. I can still revive lost skele's, and in the first few turns I can focus on buffing up the 2 ghoul units.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragorakiba View Post
    I suggest dropping the dire wolves because they are too weak and since they are cavalry the are not easy to raise them back. Instead you should go with fell bats because they move faster and can be raised back easier.
    I like the Dire Wolves as a) I can get 2 units of 5 on the cheep b) they're really fast, and I use them as a throw-away charge re-director, something a skirmishing bat unit has problems with.

I have added bats at the 1250 pts value as I wanted a better warmachine hunter/ march blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragorakiba View Post
    I think you should drop a unit of ghouls and take a unit of zombies. This way you have a unit that can hold off your opponent that can be raised quite easily. I understand that zombies can be raised easily but that still means that your vampires must spend a magic phase raising them. I think they would be better off using their magic for gaze of nagash, curse of years, or wind of undeath.
    I completely agree. Except for the dropping the Ghoul part . I've already played my 1000 and 1250 pts games and have 2 units of Ghouls as well as a unit of Zombies
    ----------
    So here is the updated list, showing the 1250 pts that are locked in and the 1500 and 1750 games to come this weekend and the next:

Heroes
    • Vampire (General)
      -Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
      -Flayed Hauberk, Black Periapt
    • Vampire
      -Forbidden Lore, Summon Ghouls
      -2 Power Stones

Core
    • 14 Ghouls
      -Ghast
    • 14 Ghouls
      -Ghast
    • Corpse Cart
      -Unholy Loadstone
    • 20 Zombies
    • 5 Dire Wolves
    • 5 Dire Wolves

Special
    • 5 Black Knights
    • 4 Fell Bats

Rare
    • Varghulf

Total Points: 1250
    PD: 5-6 + Bound + 2 Power Stones
    DD: 4-5

239 Addition
    • Wight King
      -BSB, Sword of Kings, Enchanted Shield
      -Barded Skeletal Steed
    • +1 Fell Bat
    • +7 Ghouls

Pts 1489

261 Addition
    • 24 Skeletons
      -Full Command
      -War Banner
      -Spears

Pts 1750

I've changed it around a bit. I've gone 2-0 in the league so far and 3-1 in the gaming group. I really don't need to have 3 Vampires to power the magic phase and get the results I want. As an aside, over those 4 games my general miscast 3 times. Is the miscast table that bad, or is it really the fear of the double 1's? So instead of another Vampire, I've brought a Wight King BSB as I want to test him out before I bring him in higher point levels. Right now I've got him tooled up for combat offensively and defensively as I really couldn't miss out on a 1+ AS and 5+ killing blow. I really want to see how he does as an offensive tool, while being combined with the cart to make an effective +2 bodies as well as +1 CR.

I've decided to do away with a second unit of Black Knights because of the Fell Bats. The Fell Bats are somewhat cheaper and I really want to have a flying unit for warmachine hunting/ harassment duties.

The Skeleton unit can be used offensively, defensively or just plain lock something up. I plan to run them 6 wide and have the BSB in it. With Vanhel's on them they put out 13 attacks ASF, re-roll misses (usually 4's) with S3 isn't terrible, not to mention the Wight with 3 Killing Blow 5+ attacks. Sure they're not Graveguard, but even this unit is cheaper than a equiped unit of Graveguard either so the trade isn't that bad with a static combat res of 6 and the potential number of dice I can roll with an effective magic phase.

The Zombies run interference, I'm now thinking of running them 8 wide as with one casting of Vanhel's I'll have 4 ranks. After that I'm just beefing them up from shooting or the eventual combat. This way they won't be a deep unit, pushing back other units of mine, and can effectivlely tar pit 2 units at the same time as their frontage is that wide. If they could engage 2 opponents from the front they would take heavy casualties, but still have the +3 rank bonus as long as I throw 3 dice at them a turn as well as some other nasty magic.
    Last edited by Blood_Blade; November 17th, 2009 at 19:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

+ Reply to Thread