1000+1500VC Campaign Army (friendly) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000+1500VC Campaign Army (friendly)

Hello there,
    I'm going to be playing a campaign game arround christmas. The competens being:
    Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Bretonnians and Lizardmen. I'll be playing two Bulk Skeleton + Fast Cavalary armies in an attempt to conquer the campaign map. I really like the vampire counts and I'm thinking of getting an army for myselves, so these series of games will also be the test of my army so that I can decide what I'll buy if I'm going to collect Vampire counts. For now I'm going to use my friends Vampire Counts.
    Anyway, these are the two armies I'll be playing:

1,000 Point Army:

Vampire 165
    -Dark Acolyte
    -Lord of the Dead
    -Powerstone

Vampire 145
    -Dark Acolyte
    -Lord of the Dead

10 Skeleton Warrios 106
    -Spears
    -Standard Bearer
    -Champion

10 Skeleton Warrios 106
    -Spears
    -Standard Bearer
    -Champion

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight

Strategy: My two Vampire Necromancers will stay behind the skeleton warriors while they spam skeleton warriors. The army will advance with the Skeleton Warriors in the middle and the Black Knights on the right flank. When my Skeletons reach enemy ranks they shall keep them distracted while my black knights hammer into the flanks.

1,500 Point Army

Vampire 145
    -Dark Acolyte
    -Lord of the Dead

Vampire 165
    -Dark Acolyte
    -Lord of the Dead
    -Powerstone

Wight King 152
    -Lance
    -Skeletal Steed
    -Barding
    -Walachs Bloody Hauberk

10 Skeleton Warrios 106
    -Standard Bearer
    -Champion
    -Spears

10 Skeleton Warrios 106
    -Standard Bearer
    -Champion
    -Spears

6 Black Knights 211
    -Hell Knight
    -Standard Bearer
    -Royal Standard of Strigos

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight

5 Blood Knights 295
    -Kastellan

Strategy: My Wightking (my general) shall reside in the unit of Black Knights with the Royal Standard of Strigos (Granting the unit Hatred). And shall lead the cavalary to charge into the flanks of my enemies while my Skeletons stall the attack. So pretty much the same tactic as the 1,000 point army.

Will these armies work? Or will they just lead me into a crushing defeat. I fear being defeated by the Bretonnians and the Wood Elves, since the Bretonnians are cavalary-heavy themselves and their cavalary will probably be better then mine. I fear the Wood Elves for they'll probably shoot my men before I get there.

I'd also like to know what would be good to add to these armies? We will be able to add up to a max of 500 points to each army by capturing lands on the campaign map. What would enhance these armies for 500 points?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinpanic View Post
    Hello there,

1,000 Point Army:

Vampire 165
    -Dark Acolyte
    -Lord of the Dead
    -Powerstone

Vampire 145
    -Dark Acolyte
    -Lord of the Dead
    +++ your army is doomed to failure because your vampires (including your genereal) are NAKED!!! unarmoured vamps die very, very fast... you honestly really have no choice but to invest in some armour - at least for your general since if he dies, your army goes with him...

also, i'd get something beyound a single powerstone in terms of magical gear... you really should never leave the crypt without the book of arkhan. (vanhel's is our most important spell). also, one of your vamps could do quite well with perhaps the flayed hauberk + sword of battle/might combo, or you could plump for the sword of kings instead! or if you prefer the magical approch, then don't underestimate what the staff of flaming death can achieve! it's especially brutal at lower pts games where every panic test is a crucial one since numbers are so low!
    if enemy magic scares you, then give your genereal the enchanted shield + staff of sorcery of a fairly good save and some dispel help.+++

10 Skeleton Warrios 106
    -Spears
    -Standard Bearer
    -Champion

10 Skeleton Warrios 106
    -Spears
    -Standard Bearer
    -Champion
    +++ lose the spears for now... i'd also up each unit to 15 strong since bretonnian & wood elf archery, chaos & lizardmen magic missile spam can easily take out a 10 strong unit in a single turn, while the dark elves can play both shooty and zappy!+++

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight
    +++ drop 1 unit compleatly. use the pts to upgrade your vamps with some armour/magic items and bulk out your skeletons.
    actually, considering that all three of these units will be opperating far from your vamps, i'd drop 2 units and add some variety to the army in form of units like;
    - corpse cart (handy for aiding in your summoning and/or fiddling enemy magics
    - fell bats, outstanding for countering shooty armies, screening knights, chasing fast cav about, hunting missile troops/war machines and such.
    - dire wolves, the cheaper alternative to fell bats! solid for screening your cavalry.+++

Strategy: My two Vampire Necromancers will stay behind the skeleton warriors while they spam skeleton warriors. The army will advance with the Skeleton Warriors in the middle and the Black Knights on the right flank. When my Skeletons reach enemy ranks they shall keep them distracted while my black knights hammer into the flanks.

+++ invo spam is boring as sin, and this army doesn't do it very well either... your vampires are naked, and sitting in the open. a single unit on a hill can shoot them down and then you're dust...
    your units are small and can be easily wiped out with concentrated fire should you lose first turn...
    your black knight flankers are likely going to be more than 6" from any vampire, and thus unable to make march moves... (which can leave them to being easily outmanovered, especially by elves & brets!)

to fix this;
    - get armour on your vamps and stick them into a skellie unit each!
    - start your skellies off at 15 strong so heavy missile fire doesn't kill them before you start raising more.
    - drop 2 units of black knights, add a vargulf!!! if you have pts left over, some dire wolves or fell bats for screening wouldn't go amiss either.+++

1,500 Point Army

Vampire 145
    -Dark Acolyte
    -Lord of the Dead

Vampire 165
    -Dark Acolyte
    -Lord of the Dead
    -Powerstone
    +++ see above comments about why this won't ever work...+++

Wight King 152
    -Lance
    -Skeletal Steed
    -Barding
    -Walachs Bloody Hauberk
    +++ don't ever give him barding as it's only slowing him down... remember that skeletal steeds move like other ethereal creatures, so terrain doesn't slow you down! use terrain wisely to mask your approch (just stay out of forests when fighting against wood elves!)
    a better magic item combo would be the sword of kings + nightshroud. turns him into a simply terrifying character slayer!+++

10 Skeleton Warrios 106
    -Standard Bearer
    -Champion
    -Spears

10 Skeleton Warrios 106
    -Standard Bearer
    -Champion
    -Spears
    +++ same comments as above about these guys...+++

6 Black Knights 211
    -Hell Knight
    -Standard Bearer
    -Royal Standard of Strigos

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight

6 Black Knights 160
    -Hell Knight
    +++ with only minimal core, i don't think you need this many knights... lose some and bulk out your core infantry units!+++

5 Blood Knights 295
    -Kastellan

Strategy: My Wightking (my general) shall reside in the unit of Black Knights with the Royal Standard of Strigos (Granting the unit Hatred). And shall lead the cavalary to charge into the flanks of my enemies while my Skeletons stall the attack. So pretty much the same tactic as the 1,000 point army.
    +++ a wight king can never be your general... only a vampire or vampire lord can be the general. (see pg88 of the army book)+++

Will these armies work? Or will they just lead me into a crushing defeat. I fear being defeated by the Bretonnians and the Wood Elves, since the Bretonnians are cavalary-heavy themselves and their cavalary will probably be better then mine. I fear the Wood Elves for they'll probably shoot my men before I get there.

I'd also like to know what would be good to add to these armies? We will be able to add up to a max of 500 points to each army by capturing lands on the campaign map. What would enhance these armies for 500 points?
    your main problems;
    - naked, wandering general... he'll be a pincushin before you can say dead-undead!
    - min sized starting units. with all the missile troops about, i'd be surprised if at least 1 unit isn't totally wiped out if your lose first turn...
    - complete lack of tactical flexability. your plan is reliant upon, a) you being able to spam invocation before your skellies get shot to bitz. b) your slower knights not being out manovered by a much faster foe... not the most epic plan out there! if your knights get charged (very likely since they're stuck at M your skellies will be left unsupported and likely outflanked themselves!

so to fix this, i suggest;
    - getting better gear/powers for your vampires.
    - dropping most of your knights.
    - bulking up your skellie units and adding some helpful magic banners
    - adding in a vargulf + fell bats or if the pts are too tight, at least a screening unit of dire wolves.

as for adding on with another 500pts, well, a vampire lord! also, if you plan to use blood knights, then they *must* have a screening unit! as frenzied troops, they're likely to be led about by the nose if you're not careful...

hope this helps,
    good luck!

+ Reply to Thread