Starter vampire army/ warband - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starter vampire army/ warband

1 Vampire
    General; Magic Level 1
    Summon Ghouls
    Goulkin

9 Crypt Ghouls
    1 Ghast

9 Crypt Ghouls
    1 Ghast

9 Grave Guard
    Musician
    1 Seneschal

5 Dire Wolves

Total Army Cost: 494

The basic idea is to get into combat as soon as I can with the ghouls, leaving my grave guard and doom wolves to make a flank hit. Any thoughts are appreciated. This is following the warband rules of 1 hero 150 points max.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

well, keep in mind that at 500pts there's very, very little that vamps can do... the warband rules hamper you even further by capping your most important model too!
    as for what to take, here's a few things i'd look at;

- your vamp is naked! that's never a good thing, especially when it's also your general!!! i'd swap out ghoulkin for avatar of death so you can get the heavy armour + shield for a solid 3+ save in combat...

- the graveguard i find are still fairly relyant on static combat res to win, unless you can afford to go the 'fighty' option. (which at 500pts you simply can't!) to be truely offensive, the graveguard need to run about 17-20 strong w/great weapons and include the magical banner of the barrows or royal banner of strigois... run that unit 7 wide and throw a wight king or vampire in there to give the added boost and that unit can chop through most things!
    right now, i'd actually consider swaping them for 5-6 black knights w/hell knight. (no banner or musician though). they'll form a nice, solid hitting unit with their S6 on the charge, and they're one of the most manouverable units you can have in vampire army! (remember to take advantage of their ethereal movement rules!)

- i'd drop the ghast from the unit your vampire won't be hiding in - just get another ghoul instead! (so you'll have a unit of 10 and a unit of 11) or else get a 6th dire wolf to keep your US5 a bit longer...

hope this helps,
    cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input. A unit of black knights does sound like a good idea. I'm hoping to expand this army to the 1000pt range soon. Do you think using Zomibes is a good idea? For their points they seem a bit week, but then again the ability to bring them to great numbers seems like a great tatical advantage.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

i wouldn't being with zombies - those pts can be better spent getting your main core units upto 13-15 strong to start with and/or investing in a magic banner for a skellies unit for example...
    you can always raise zombies right where you need them most! (which is infinitely easier than trying to manouver them into the right place!) if you really like zombies alot, then give a Lv2 vampire the scepter de noirot to help raise them faster... a few aplications of invocation later, and you've got a nice, solid hoard!

the zombies are great for tarpiting hard units into place (like high elf sword masters, chaos warriors/knights and similar). you'll need at least a unit of about 25-30 or so since you will lose combat! but you can tip the scale a bit in your favour by raising the unit by the enemy's flank and then dancing them in with van hal's... now you'll at least get a +1 combat bonus and negate the enemy's 2-3 ranks...
    the other use would be to raise small units in order to bait charge the enemy... angle the unit a bit so that the chargers will expose their flank when they commit to combat. at worst, you'll give away 50VP's and have set the enemy up for a favourable counter-charge! at best you may make him rethink his plan and he stubbornly won't charge! this is also a great tactic to employ against any frenzied units since they'll be forced into the bad charge!

cheers!

+ Reply to Thread