2,000pts tournament - opinions please! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

2,000pts tournament - opinions please!

greetings-greetings my fellow brothers & sisters of the night!
    i'm trying to polish off my army list i plan on using for an annual tournament this year, but i can't decide on what to add with my final few pts...

i'm trying to decide between adding black knights, blood knights or a black coach... so far, my list is thus;

Lords:
    Neferata, Queen of Mysteries. Vampire Lord w/Hand weapon. Level 3 Wizard.
    Master of the Black Arts, Forbidden Lore, Lord of the Dead.
    Sword of Battle, Nightshroud, Skull Staff.
    Cost; 455 pts

Heroes:
    Grand Vizier Nher’ra, Vampire w/Hand weapon. Level 2* Wizard.
    Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death w/Heavy armour, Shield.
    Staff of Damnation.
    Cost; 190 pts

Jolinar the Acolyte, Vampire w/Hand weapon. Level 2* Wizard.
    Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death w/Heavy armour, Additional Hand weapon.
    Book of Arkhan.
    Cost; 185 pts

Ladon the Damned One, Wight King w/Hand weapon, Great weapon, Shield, Heavy armour.
    The Accursed Armour, Gem of Blood.
    Cost; 135 pts

Core Units:
    The Falcon’s Host; 15 Skeleton Warriors w/Hand weapon, Light armour, Shield.
    Champion.
    Standard Bearer w/Icon of Vengeance.
    Cost; 161 pts

The Hawk-God’s Legion; 14 Skeleton Warriors w/Hand weapon, Light armour, Shield.
    Champion.
    Standard Bearer w/War Banner.
    Cost; 153 pts

Ptra’s Golden Cohort; 14 Skeleton Warriors w/Hand weapon, Light armour, Spear, Shield.
    Champion.
    Standard Bearer w/Banner of Hellfire.
    Cost; 152 pts

7 Dire Wolves w/Doom Wolf.
    Cost; 66 pts

Special Units:
    The Horus Guard; 19 Royal Crypt Guard w/Hand weapon, Heavy armour, Great weapon.
    Champion.
    Standard Bearer w/Banner of the Barrows.
    Cost; 316 pts

so basically, i have about 185'ish pts left to play with... i'm realy torn between trying to squeeze the blood knight in... (because they simply steamroll everything!) but i also know that there's going to be alot of armies like dark/high elves, some empire, a few lizzies and chaos warriors + beastmen armies at the tournament... (not expecting alot of daemons to turn up...) thus, i was thinking that the coach, powered-up could prove quite effective since there's not going to be a huge amount of S7 in every army?!?

any help is much-much welcomed!
    thanks,
    cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Well, you definitialy better have a ton of skeleton models. Even with your chances of rolling up dance and the book your army is still very slow. As a HE player prepping for a 2k whose primary antagonist is VC player I can tell you opt for the coach, especially with the amount of power dice you have flying around. You should have the coach powered up quickly and it isn't difficult to hide from non artillery str7s. A single scroll will help your army, even with you r7 dispel dice and +1 to dispel attempts.

How about swap black knights for the grave guard, and add the coach with maybe a small unit of fell bats.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Zagman View Post
    Well, you definitialy better have a ton of skeleton models. Even with your chances of rolling up dance and the book your army is still very slow. As a HE player prepping for a 2k whose primary antagonist is VC player I can tell you opt for the coach, especially with the amount of power dice you have flying around. You should have the coach powered up quickly and it isn't difficult to hide from non artillery str7s. A single scroll will help your army, even with you r7 dispel dice and +1 to dispel attempts.

How about swap black knights for the grave guard, and add the coach with maybe a small unit of fell bats.
    - if there's one thing i've been bulking out on, it's skellie models!!! (i'm at 110 total... should hopefully be enough?!)
    the lack of danse macabre is a bit disconcerting, but typically the book is the very last thing i'll play each phase... thus, if i can pick the right lore for my general, my opponent's got a pretty difficult choice on their hands: let my general go nuts and cast spells aimed at raping their army and save-up to stop the book, or let the book go through...
    careful play of forbidden lore is what's made my vamps very deadly! (provided i don't blow-up my general yet again through miscasting...)

- the coach i think is what would synergise best with this current set-up... (oh well, blood knight conversions might just have to wait a bit then!)

- i really don't want to lose the grave guard though, since they form the best possible bodyguard for neferata... (skellis being far too squishy to rely on)
    might drop them down to 15 though? a bit less combat res, but with a champ to answer challenges, and the nightshroud to allow my vamp to go a bit nuts, hopefully they can weather some combats?!?

any other ideas?
    cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take out the dire Wolves and add some ghouls, They are amzing at taking down trolls and other monsters. Other than that good list. Personaly i love the names of the units.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Webber View Post
    Take out the dire Wolves and add some ghouls, They are amzing at taking down trolls and other monsters. Other than that good list. Personaly i love the names of the units.
    i'm not taking ghouls - they're ikky and gross and have no place in the beautiful, gleaming host of a lahmian lady!

at 2k i'm definately going to see some dragons/griffons/manticores and such... the 7 wolves w/doom wolf is our classic 'doggy dragon trap'. it stays!!! basically i can bog down any character who's riding a monster by simply challenging them with the doom wolf. even at max combat res, you have 1 wolf left and thus the killy character of 'uberness stays put for a turn! (plenty of time to deal with them properly!)

i'm actually redoing the entire list at the moment... way too many combos i can pull right now, i just have to make up my mind!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Just getting into fantasy myself, but i'm 90% certain that wight lords can't take the VC specific magic armor, as it specifically says at the top of the Magic Armor section that "Vampires" can take magic armor, which Wight Lords are not.

Not a terribly huge fan of the Gem of Blood or Staff of Damnation either but if their your cup of tea then go for it I suppose.

Lastly, I would also suggest making room for at least one unit of ghouls, and the Black Coach is definately a good idea with your respectible amount of dice.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabe View Post
    i'm 90% certain that wight lords can't take the VC specific magic armor
    Nope. The Wight King can take the Accursed armor.

I would go with a unit of Black Knights. In a game based around movement the ability to ignore terrain is priceless. Also, I would drop your graveguard to a unit of 17, leaving them as 6x3 with a character. If you're going greatweapons you're going to want them killing through instead of bunkering down. The wider frontage should help get the wounds in. This also gives you a few more points to put into something else.

I am biased against the black coach. It has only ever failed me. I'll leave my opinions of it to someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x3)

Nope. The Wight King can take the Accursed armor.
    I'm sorry, maybe my codex is an older printing, but in mine the Accursed Armor has no tagline in it saying that Wight Lords can take it, was this FAQ'd?
    Cause if it hasn't or if it hasn't been fixed by a later printing then he actually cannot, as he is not a Vampire and it specifically state that only Vampires can take VC specific Magic Armor(save for the Nightshroud, which Necromancers can take too).
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabe View Post
    Just getting into fantasy myself, but i'm 90% certain that wight lords can't take the VC specific magic armor, as it specifically says at the top of the Magic Armor section that "Vampires" can take magic armor, which Wight Lords are not.
    it states that "All Vampires may given Magic Armour, (including the Enchanted Shield)..."

what this rule actually means is that vampires are not required to take either the dread knight or avatar of death powers in order to 'unlock' the ability to get magic armour.

normally, you must have 2 requirements in order to gain access to magic armour:
    a) the ability to take mundane armour as basic upgrades.
    b) not have the 'wizard' rule.
    magic weapons & armour are 'upgrades' for the mundane versions. everyone can always take a magic weapon because every model comes with a 'mundane' hand weapon! the problem for vamps is, we don't get the regular options for mundane armour like other characters do - we have to spend vampire powers to get it!
    the rule above allows us to give our characters magical armour without have to spend additional pts on a (fairly redundant) power first! (i mean, it's just unfair if i have to spend 50+pts to give my vampire basic heavy armour, only to replace it with the magical armour i wanted in the first place!)

wight kings can always take magical armour because they have the mundane version as basic equipment...

cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x3)

Kudos for spelling that out for the new guy . Will make a probable difference in some future lists.
    Peace

+ Reply to Thread