Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Please help fellow lords of the dead. I’m going blind looking at my book and think i’ve painted myself into a corner.
Vampire Lord (General)
+Magic Level, master of black arts, summon ghouls, Helm of commandment, the book of arkhan, flayed hauberk.
410 Points (Hidden in small CG unit behind main line)
+Magic Level, Forbidden lore (metal), creatures of the night, Avatar of death, Skull Staff.
390 points (in GG unit raining merry armour melting hell)
Summon ghouls, dark acolyte, accursed armour, sword of might
185 (in ghoul unit on side with most action)
Dread Knight, Walking death
150 (with blood knights)
Sword of kings, BSB, Dakenhof Banner
250 (in GG)
18 x CG with Ghast (3 rows of 6)
152 (Flank of GG - set back)
18 x CG with Ghast (3 rows of 6)
152 (Other Flank of GG - Set back)
10 x CG (2 rows of 5)
80 (With General behind main line)
10 x CG (2 rows of 5)
80 (Towards side with most action behind main line)
2 x Corpse carts with balefire
200 (Sat behind GG but within 6” of CG either side)
3 x Fell Bats
60 (Screen for BK or March blockers)
21 x GG, FC, Banner of Barrows
374 (Front and centre)
175 (Hangs back if fliers are about but otherwise working with BK)
Blood Knights, FC, Strigos (or Hellfire)
340 (Looking for blood)
13 PD (+1 staff)
8DD (+1 Staff)
3 Bound Spells
My opponent is running WOC (and will probably choose IMTP). We tend to play to slaughter rather than 6 turns and VP (only get to play a couple of times a year and it’s more fun)
He’s in love with big units of Knights, blocks of warriors, Archeon the ever broken and Festus (and I’ll die of shock if he changes the routine). I couldn’t hate WOC more!!
Anyway my tactics will be melting him from distance while owning the magic phase (with the balefire and staff) as he marches forward. Then as he gets close get the jump on him with vanhels and grind him down. Not sure whether to try the Blood knights on Archeon (he’ll be the main focus of the melting) was thinking of wiping out his second unit of knights and then going after festus and his warriors (if i take hellfire).
If I get curse of the years I’ll rock that but otherwise will be making my ghouls huge.
Anyway that’s the plan, wont be the most fun and will rely on magic and the gods of dice as tactically he’ll walk forward and I’ll let him.
Can't think of anything to kill his general so will hopefully melt the unit and let CR do that.
Any advice or re-writes of my list/tactics would be welcome!!
Actually what would people think is more useful the Vamp in BK or a vamp Forbidden Law, Power stone and cadaverous cuirass i'd drop a GG or two to make up for the points. Thinking this would increase my chances of melting stuff and be worth it vs possible wounds caused with BK.
Last edited by Stumbling Kastellan; January 30th, 2010 at 00:06.
- give both vamp lords forbidden lore, MofBA's, summon power + magic tools. have 1 lord take lore of metal, the other take lore of beasts. give your general the following magic items: skull staff & nightshroud. hit him with bear's anger when the enemy gets close and watch him go-go! (that's a total of 7, S7 attacks & T6!)
or else you could get the age old fighty lord 'o doom w/red fury + dreadlance on a hellsteed w/wristbands of black gold. he'll single-handedly chew a unit of knights when he hits their flank...
- your BSB cannot have a magic banner and a magic sword... if you take a banner, you may not choose any other magical gear.
- the vampire with the blood knights would like to have the blood drinker... it will help immensely towards keeping the knights alive! as long as you charge, you'll likely win since blood knights are easily the game's most rocking heavy cav!
as an additional help, keep in mind that 'the wolf hunts' spell from lore of beasts can stack on top of a vanhel's movment! thus, you can magically move your unit twice, then hit them against w/vanhel's for the re-rolls to-hit!
- your ghouls should run 7-wide in order to fully max their BtB frontage.
- drop the vargulf... his usefullness against warriors is limited at best since he tends to bounce off of their armour. (and it's not like you really need help killing marauders!)
as far as your strategy goes:
- don't even bother trying to magic archaon to death. he's got magic res IIRC, plus all his nifty magical gear that helps protect him from heavy hitting stuffs... instead, hit him with the worlds largest zombie tarpit! (especially if he's unleashed uhzul's power!!!) just keep him fighting those deadhead's and eventually he'll kill himself with his daemon sword! (seriously, archaon always dies to his sword in the end!)
if you really want a good laugh, hit archaon's unit with a heavy casting of 'the beast cowers'. if it gets through, then he's out of the picture for a turn!
- always remember to bring your great weapons. vamps can hit S7 with them, and that will indeed sort out those warriors...
- i'd up your bats a bit too, as it will make them a more effective screen since they'll cover more lines of sight and last a bit longer against any magical barages.
anyways, i hope this helps and good luck!
Cheers for that, I'll re work the list. Just a quick question. Can a Lord combine powers from the same archetype (arkayne - motba and forbidden lore)??? The book says he can combine from different archetypes which is the reason I didn't do this in the first place.
Any Vampire can use a combination of bloodlines.
There are some potent units that can really ruin a Warrior's day:
Rather than give your Blood Knight Vamp the Blooddrinker, do this instead-
VLord w/ Infinite Hatred, Red Fury, Flayed Hauberk, Blood Drinker, Book of Arkhan.
He now boasts 4, S5 attacks, rerolling to hit, then more attacks for any successful wounds, all of which add to...
27 Grave Guard w/ full command, halberds, Banner of the Barrows
WightKing BSB w/ Banner of Drakenhof, Greatweapon, Barded Steed
This together will build a US30 regiment. With the Banner of the Barrows, everyone except the vampire will hit on 3's (2's if you helm them). If they manage ASF (not hard considering the built-in Book), use Halberds to give them all S5. With Regen and the Blood Drinker, there's little need to turtle behind your shields.
I'd get rid of the Varghulf in favor of Black Coaches. With your amount of magic, a pair of Black Coaches placed in the midst of your lines will quickly power-up into a pair of killing machines unlike any other. Imagine- Ethereal, Flying, Killing Blow, Impact-hit-causing, Terror causing, Hatred chariots smashing their way across the battlefield. Oh yes, it's as hideously fun as it sounds.
Necromancers for your Corpse Carts can be fun, if you have room in your character section. That allows them to join other units... like ghouls. A cart takes up a massive amount of space, which frees up ghouls to form ranks.
Magic Items are key, look for boundspells. I would also grab the Black Periapt to store unused dice. You probably already have enough dice to send more spells through than he could ever hope to block, so just pour on the sauce and hit him with everything in the book.
Smaller regiments are fine. He lacks shooting, so just sit back and start the boosting. It's easier to spend 15pts on rasing more ghouls, than it is to spend 16pts and only buy 2 ghouls. This will free up points for you to include more knights and other fun toys.
Big games with vampires are fun. I'll be expecting a battle report of course.
Thanks for all the advice. There are some really good units there.
I'll work on my list and put it up tommorrow.
Just found out my opponent is remodelling his kitchen so the battle report may take a while as his wife isn't letting him out to play!!