<1000 8th ed 1k VC list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8th ed 1k VC list

Well after buying a new VC army on mantics games (cost me £55 + a AoW vampire) this is what i have come up with keeping in mind the possible rumours of 8th ed (25% characters etc)

Characters

Vampire
    - Flayed Hauberk
    - Sword of Might
    - Dark Acolyte
    - Lord of dead
    Total 185pts

Necromancer
    Total 55pts

Core

15 Skeleton Warriors
    - Full command
    Total 140pts

15 Skeleton Warriors
    - Full command
    Total 140pts

Special

15 Grave Guard
    - Fullcommand
    - Royal Standard of Strigos
    Total 245pts

Rare

4 Wraiths
    - Tomb Banshee
    Total 225pts

Any Suggestions welcome

Last edited by HappyJim; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the plan?
    seems a bit static with the three units and wraiths squad floating around.
    id go with a varghulf and unit of wolves at 1k pts, every time ive used one in small games he scares the bejeezus out of my opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since u want a list for 8th ed just put those 2 units of skellies in one unit. No restrictions (that i've read so far) about minimum number of core units. It's just points now. So have one unit of 30.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the replies, well i think im going to make some rather drastic changes to list now anyways, originally i wanted wraith because of how cheap i bought them from Mantic games, now i have a few extra models i can certainly change it about abit.

Characters

Vampire
    - Flayed Hauberk
    - Sword of Might
    - Dark Acolyte
    - Lord of dead
    Total 190pts

Necromancer
    Total 55pts

Core

15 Skeleton Warriors
    - Full command
    Total 140pts

15 Skeleton Warriors
    - Full command
    Total 140pts

7 Dire wolves
    Total 56pts

Special

14 Grave Guard
    - Fullcommand
    Total 242pts

Rare

Varghulf
    Total 175pts

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJim View Post
    Characters

Vampire
    - Flayed Hauberk
    - Sword of Might
    - Dark Acolyte
    - Lord of dead
    Total 190pts
    +++ i'd actually swap out acolyte for forbidden lore... you're still +2 for your invo castings on the skellies, but now you can either have the entire vampire lore, or better yet, all the lore of light spells!!! (trust me, lore of light is our newfound best drinking buddy!)
    light magic has lots of WS/I boosting spells, that go off at fairly low casting values. it'll really shine once you start casting spells like speed of light on your grave guard! (WS/I10 wights w/banner of the barrows? yes please!) plus there's also a spell, birona's timewarp, that gives 2x movement & +1A to your unit/s!

also a big reminder; you must say in your list what lores your wizards are using now - no picking your magic on the spot once you've seen what you're up against!+++

Necromancer
    Total 55pts
    +++ i take it he has vanhel's? remember, you need to put that into your list...+++

Core

15 Skeleton Warriors
    - Full command
    Total 140pts

15 Skeleton Warriors
    - Full command
    Total 140pts
    +++ i'd make this into 1 giant unit w/spears. it'll give you a solid tarpit - especially if you then rank it 10 wide to take advantage of the new hoard rule! (imagine, 4 ranks striking at WS/I10 with light magic!O.O not bad for dead guys...)
    plus, i think my new favorite banner is going to be the cheap lichebone banner. MR1 is quite handy since it'll lessen the impact of enemy magic missiles as you'll have a 6+/6+ save... alot of our current 25pts or under banners seem less usefull now anyways. warbanner, hellfire standard & endless nightmare are probably the tops alongside the new lichbone...+++

7 Dire wolves
    Total 56pts
    +++ the dires really suck even more so now... they're fast cav without the extra attacks and no missile fire... plus, they can't negate enemy ranks with flank/rear charges, and will get face-punched even more harshly now... leave 'em i say! a corpse cart would be a much better investment - especially if you can combine the area effects of miasma of deathly vigor with an area casting of speed of light!!! (imagine your entire battleline with WS/I10 & re-rolling all missed to-hit rolls?!!)+++

Special

14 Grave Guard
    - Fullcommand
    Total 242pts
    +++ royal banner is no longer such a great choice here. barrows is all round better, and the screaming banner just became made of win! we can get the re-rolls so many other ways, the hatred is better left to our cav now... (who like all other cav, are much more of a glass cannon now)
    i'd go for the screaming banner personally - it'll really make your fear that much better, or else maybe try out the new razor standard for armour piercing attacks?! otherwise, barrows banner for the potential to hit on 2's should the enemy secumb to fear...+++

Rare

Varghulf
    Total 175pts
    +++ now these guys are really nasty! their 50mm base means they're true monsters, and thus they get thunderstomp! (the D6 'always strikes last' auto-hits!)
    well, i hope this helps,
    cheers!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the help, i have tried to apply that to the larger list

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Ghouls are going to be a lot better than skeletons. Fear no longer autobreaks- instead, the enemy must take a LD test at the start of each round of combat, and if they fail, fight at WS1 for the round. Now, skeletons like this because they'll be hitting on 3's, but their WS is too low for the enemy to hit on 5's. Ghouls however, will do a bit better, with the enemy hitting on 5s and the ghouls hitting on 6s. Furthermore, with 2A each, the first rank will fight with 2A, and the second will fight with 1. If you're deadset on fighting in a 'Horde' formation (10 wide, for an extra rank of attacks) then you'll fight with 3 ranks and have 40 poisoned attacks coming from 30 models. Skeletons with spears are going to cost a point more, and only generate 40 attacks if they use spears and horde and fight with 40 models. Simply put- Ghouls do more damage, with fewer models, and don't need to have a full 4 ranks just to do damage.

Swap the Skeletons for Ghouls, and put them into a regiment of 30, or two regiments of 18 (6x3)

Definitely swap out the Wraiths for the Varghulf, for the reasons given by the others.

Give your Graveguard some Great Weapons. All attacks are at Initiative now, so you may as well accept that you're striking last. The +2 strength will do better than the 6+ wardsave anyways. Just be prepared to resurrect this unit as often as possible.

DO NOT CAST with your General. Use him for a combat role. Casting has just become the most lethal thing in the game, and you don't want to run the risk of your general miscasting and annihilating himself in a puff of pink mist. Try to sneak another Necromancer into the list and cast with him. At 1k, you shouldn't be casting with a vampire (hell, you shouldn't even be using one, but we have to). Give your vampire the Flayed Hauberk, and Avatar of Death (hw+s), and Hem of Commandment.

I'd go with Banner of the Barrows on your Graveguard as well, and stick to the common tactic of Helming them from a remote location, and then hitting the enemy on a 2+. It's nasty, and with GWs, you're wounding on a 2+ as well. Things these guys hit are going to drop like flies.

Vampire Counts are the perfect army for going wide. Stubborn does nothing for us, so other than the basic Rank Bonus (which we will need) our actual damage regiments should try for a horde formation of 30 models if we can spare the points. Not in 1k, but in larger games for certain.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok well i doubt i will this list much now as i just bought the rest of the bits to make my list up to 2k, as great as it sounds to just swap my skeletons for ghouls sadly i happen to own 60 skeletons and 30 ghouls so im going with what i have

I dont also dont know if i agree that great weapons are the best choice now, not everything is I4+ and besides again my unit (the mantic ones) are armed with HW+SH, still it isnt that bad, 4+ save and 6+ ward isnt that bad really (maybe im just syaing that so i feel better about having HW+SH )

I also know the most of the changes now, i have been posting alot of the rumour updates from warseer

At the end of the day its very hard to know which advice is the best to follow, i mean sue i know magic is very risky and all but you just have to be smart about how you use it

Characters

Vampire
    - Flayed Hauberk
    - Sword of Might
    - Fobidden Lore
    - Lord of dead
    Total 195pts

Necromancer
    - Van Hels Dance
    Total 55pts

Core

16 Skeleton Warriors
    - Full command
    Total 148pts

16 Skeleton Warriors
    - Full command
    Total 148pts

Special

17 Grave Guard
    - Fullcommand
    - Banner of The Barrows
    Total 279pts

Rare

Varghulf
    Total 175pts
    Last edited by HappyJim; June 18th, 2010 at 10:28.

+ Reply to Thread