<3000 3000 Vampire Counts list for Ard Boyz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3000 Vampire Counts list for Ard Boyz

So ive been working on some different lists for 2500(our new standard around here) and 3000 point lists for the upcoming Ard Boyz. Here is the current 3000.

Vampire Lord - 435
    -Master of the Black Arts
    -Forbidden Lore(light)
    -Magic Level
    -Flayed Hauberk
    -Helm of Command
    -Fencers Blades
    -Luckstone (or something like that)

Vampire - 180
    -Forbidden Lore (prolly beasts)
    - Common Magic Armor 2+

Wight King - 145
    -Battle Standard Bearer
    -+1 to hit banner for GG and Wight kings

Wight King - 125
    -Common Sword of +2 A
    -Dragon Helm

Wight King

Skeletons x40 - 405
    -Spears
    -Full Command
    -War Banner

Skeletons x 20 -180
    -Full Command

Skeletons x 20 - 180
    -Full Command

Grave Guard x 20 - 290
    -Great Weapons
    -Full Command

Grave Guard x 20 - 270
    -Full Command

Blood Knights x 5 - 340
    -Champion
    -Standard Bearer
    -Royal Standard of Stirgos

Black Coach

Vargulf

Percentages -
    Lord - 14.5%
    Hero - 17.5%
    Core - 25.5%
    Special - 18.6%
    Rare - 23.8%

So im fairly sure this list comes to 3000 exactly, sorry about the names of some magic items, i do not have my rulebook on me. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Tear this list up so to speak. Im going to be doing more playtesting with it of course. So far with this new edition Grave Guard have been my MVP almost every game, so i decided to take two of them over the one I normally use.. The rare choices are around to keep my army marching and to get flank charges/support the block units. As these days even the Blood Knights have a tough time breaking infantry unsupported.
    Two of the rares combo charging will most likely be fine as well.
    Basically the army is 4 block units (Skelly horde, Skelly anvil,Grave guard hammer, Grave Guard anvil) and a bunker unit in the back for my general. General sits back tosses out buffs via lore of light and helm. Ill raise when i can after buff spells and i have the other vamp as backup for raise if i fail on the main.
    Thats pretty much the battle plan. Wight kings will be placed in units as needed based on enemy placement. BSB will most likely be in the centermost GG unit. The Hero Vampire will either be in Lords Bunker unit or in a flank unit to ensure marching, depending on terrain and such.

Now some things i have already been thinking about are:
    -Switch the banner from BSB to a GG unit so he can be placed more easily.
    -Drop some magic item in order to up my Skeleton or grave guard counts to 25 or so.
    -Drop Vargulf (i do really like him though, with 5s on all the good stats and thunderstomp)
    -Drop 3rd Wight king(to bump troops to units of 25)
    -Add flaming attacks of some sort
    -Maybe add a drakenhoff banner again

Id also like to say I usually run GG 7 wide for extra attacks, and the giant skeleton unit is of course 10 wide, everything else is 5 wide.

Last edited by baynexilos; July 21st, 2010 at 17:04.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the strigos banner is nice but with only 5 knights in 3000 they won't last long without the Flag of Blood Keep. I also highly recommend a musician over the champion.

Black Coach makes your random PD generated even more random, im not saying this is bad or that the Coach is not a good unit but a second Varghulf instead would be a more reliable unit.

Varghulf is very good with its thunderstomp allowing you to generate much needed combat res and charging flanks allows you to avoid supporting attacks.

Drakenhof banner is still good for your great sword unit as it gives you a good save against most things.

Grave Guard units don't need a wight king unless its to add something like the Drakenhof banner or character killer.
    I would consider putting the screaming banner on the Hand weapon/Shield Grave Guard unit.
    Last edited by apbevan; July 22nd, 2010 at 17:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by apbevan View Post
    I understand the strigos banner is nice but with only 5 knights in 3000 they won't last long without the Flag of Blood Keep. I also highly recommend a musician over the champion.
    I have in the past used the Flag of the Blood keep but the points were not working out very well. That puts me over the 750 rare i can have (though switching to vargulf would solve that). I dont think the musician is worth it for this unit, as they are fast enough that quick reform is not usually nessesary. So it would be 10 points to win ties, which with blood knights i hope wont happen. That and leadership 7 means that quick reform will happen barely most of the time.Also my knights in the past have had a bad case of rubber lance syndrome that I hope the banner will fix.

Black Coach makes your random PD generated even more random, im not saying this is bad or that the Coach is not a good unit but a second Varghulf instead would be a more reliable unit.

Varghulf is very good with its thunderstomp allowing you to generate much needed combat res and charging flanks allows you to avoid supporting attacks.
    You prolly right here, ima test out it once or twice and see what happens. The sad thing is that i think vargulfs are great but mine get gibbed every time i play them. Usually by skinks poison attacks, fire magic, stone throwers and one time a daemon prince. I just fail at regen saves i guess.

Drakenhof banner is still good for your great sword unit as it gives you a good save against most things.

Grave Guard units don't need a wight king unless its to add something like the Drakenhof banner or character killer.
    I would consider putting the screaming banner on the Hand weapon/Shield Grave Guard unit.
    Ill crank a list out with the banner and see what the points look like then. So the hand weapon and shield would have screaming banner and the great weapons would have drakenhoff and barrows? Seems pretty solid, alot of points in banners but eh. Im still unsure about the screaming banner as I play daemons pretty often but it would be good against most other(save for the mirror as well).
    Ill repost the list with some changes and we can go from there.
    Last edited by baynexilos; July 22nd, 2010 at 21:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampire Lord - 430
    -Master of the Black Arts
    -Forbidden Lore(light)
    -Magic Level
    -Flayed Hauberk
    -Helm of Command
    -Fencers Blades

Vampire - 180
    -Forbidden Lore (prolly beasts)
    - Common Magic Armor 2+

Wight King - 225
    -Battle Standard Bearer
    -Drakenhoff

Skeletons x40 - 405
    -Spears
    -Full Command
    -War Banner

Skeletons x 20 -180
    -Full Command

Skeletons x 20 - 180
    -Full Command

Grave Guard x 20 - 335
    -Great Weapons
    -Full Command
    -Banner of the Barrows

Grave Guard x 20 - 310
    -Full Command
    -Screaming Banner

Blood Knights x 5 - 370
    -Standard Bearer
    -Banner of the Blood Keep

Black Coach

Vargulf

Percentages -
    Lord - 14.3%
    Hero - 07.5%
    Core - 25.5%
    Special - 21.5%
    Rare - 24.8%

I have 20 points left over, but im still wondering if all those magical standards are worth the graveguard or skellies i could get instead, especially as i only have 20x units mostly in 3000 points. Also ideas for those remaining 20 points would be swell. There is options of flaming attack banner in a skelly unit or something.
    Last edited by baynexilos; July 22nd, 2010 at 22:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screaming banner is better now that fear is tested every combat round and because they have to roll 3 and remove the lowest its pretty good. If your strapped for points or play alot of high Ld or ItP units leave it out.

Between the Varghulf and Blood Knights something is going to gibbed and if you add another varghulf it adds another target your opponent has to choose between. If you play against war machines often adding 3-6 Fel Bats gives them another target to choose between

The main reason I like the drakenhof banner is it allows my vampires to babysit the weaker troops longer. The 125 points is pretty expensive but the time it buys my vampires is worth it.
    Last edited by apbevan; July 22nd, 2010 at 22:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 6 or so felbats, and could play 3 or so of them if i dropped that other banner, I dont think ill be playing and daemons this saterday, so the banner will be useful. Where else could i juggle points to get some felbats you think? (assume im playing black coach for now, till after ive played it a bit).
    Or do i even need them? I mean between knights, varghulf and the coach i should be able to get them, especially as fast as the coach powers up these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now ive been toying with the idea of having two lords, I Lose the screaming banner, and the drakenhoff banner and my second vamp. Everything else is the same. But here are the new lords:
    Vampire Lord (430, the same really)
    Master of the Black arts
    Forbidden Lore
    Helm of Command
    Fencers Blades
    Flayed Hauberk
    Magic Level

Vampire Lord(320 )
    Red Fury
    Dread Knight
    Sword of +2 Attacks

Wight king -100
    BSB

I have 36 points left to spend and am not sure where to put them. Now the other question is am i crazy for even considering this? Does this new lord bring the value of what was lost? Should i save two lords for 3500 or 4k?

Also if i dont do this change do you think dropping the screaming banner and adding 3 felbats is good? (had 20 remainder points).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your second lord going into the Blood Knight unit? if so I would recommend Blood drinker over the +2 attacks. If he is going into an infantry unit he does not get a look out sir so he will be picked off by artillery.

A second lord especially if used for combat is not crazy as his stats all round are better suited for combat than a hero vampire.

At the top you list that you are dropping the screaming banner then at the bottom you say you still have it, im confused.
    The Fel Bats add flexibility to your list while the Banner makes the one unit stronger, your choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya blood drinker is not a bad option, and yes he is going in the knights, though one dying will lose him lookout sir. Though 2 extra attacks could be 4 extra attacks...lol

At the bottom of the list I was implying if i didnt make any of the aforementioned changes.
    I guess ill prolly stick with the standard as ive had good luck lately with it.
    Last edited by baynexilos; July 28th, 2010 at 02:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Coaches don't help and you would be hard pressed to lvl them up. When more than 1 coach is present you divide equally the PD between them an then roll so your not getting 4 attempts at at each PD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast