Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Used to play 40K Imperial Guard and decided to move into fantasy battles due to my massive addiction to D&D and Blood Bowl. Decided on Vampire Counts as always played good guys and fancy being something a bit more evil.
This is my basic outline for a straight forward 1000pt army just to get me started and learning the basics. Is 87 pts short of 1000pts, was thinking of adding some wolves or another squad of crypt ghouls.
Help and opinions welcome for first time army builder.
Vampire - 200pts
Master of Black Arts, Flayed Hauberk and Dispell Scroll
Necromancer - 180pts
Corpse Cart, Unholy Lodestone and Sceptre De Noirot
Skeletons - 178pts
20 with full command group, shields and swords
Zombie - 88pts
20, only upgrade is standard, no musician
Crypt Ghouls - 88pts
10 with Crypt Ghast
Grave Guard - 150pts
full command and Banner of Barrows
Hi, here's some tips:
- I'd increase the unit size of the graveguards to 20 or 21 depending on if a character goes in it, then use em 7 wide (7x3) so 14 can strike
- Zombies are rlly bad in 8th I wouldn't field them
- I think corspe cart and sceptre de noirot aren't worth it (btw ur over 25% heroes)
- I would really like to see a rare unit in there like wraiths + banshee or a black coach, vampire counts has amazing rare units
i collect the same army and ill add some changes i would do personally
1. The vampire should have flying horror depending on your play style
i use it because i have a varghulf and he can chomp empireal for breaky so the vamp has to keep up
personally i would use the sword of kings aswell as the instant kill on a 6 is nice unless they have a jammy ward save
avatar of death is also nice
2. skeletons should have spears
all of them because cavalry chop you up if you use swords
for 1 point a model its not 2 bad
3. corpse cart dont upgrade the necro its pointless have another necro because you can have 3 heros if youre under 2000 points
also use balefire it helps
4. get rid of grave gaurds and slap in a varghulf trust me they can kill anything with 1 wound very fast
5. if you want your vampire to be a caster give him the ability to raise zombies because they provide great help if your been charged by horses because you just keep spawning more for free!!!
otherwise good choices
2) Ditch the zombies and pump up either the ghouls or the skeleton unit, I'm not sure how big your GG unit is but I would take a min of 14 at this level.
3) Either spend your points to make the units bigger so they can survive harassment or invest in something that can take out skirmishers and light cav, fell bats, etcActually I would ditch one of the core units so long as you stay over 25% min and pump up the Grave guard, they are the only block unit worth taking in the list for there cost. Also saying the vargulf can kill anything with 1 wound very fast is kind of redundant, a 3x unit of fell bats can kill a 1 wound wizzard just as fast, move faster, and are 1/3 the cost.get rid of grave gaurds and slap in a varghulf trust me they can kill anything with 1 wound very fast
Also warmachines will finish off a varg quite fast, so they are good just not godly. A single dwarf cannon with flaming upgrade for about half the points cost will finish that off in a single shot.
What about the following ?
Vampire, Ghoul kin, Summon ghouls, flayed, BsB. 190
Necro with Van'hels. 55
28 Ghouls. 224
10 Ghouls. 80
30 Grave Guards, GW, Full command, Strigoi. 445
you must have a vampire general to lead your army so it wouldnt be alegal list
there is a vamire there :/
and @bladesuit: its all well and good to put up a list but your just posting your own list, not giving advice on the list or saying why your list is a better idea.
Personally i would change a few things about character choices,
you can only have 1 hero unless you really tool down on your upgrades you cant afford your tooled up vamp and even a naked necro is 5 points over your limit, i would focus of having just the vamp, dont use master of the black arts, coz for 1 caster you wont need tonnes of power dice, i like the combo of Infinite hatred, beguile, sword of kings and armor of night, total costs you 195point character who if he challanges will allways attack first, rerolling misses and possibly rolls to wound esp at 1000 points you usually cant afford a ld10 character, and killing blow to boot.
right thats saved you 75 points, -the 8 you were over leaves 67
even if you drop all the zombies you still have a legal core so another 88 gives you 155 spare, easily enough to add another 10 GG to current unit and equip the current ones with GW or shields.
thats my advice, i hope it helps =]
Fantasy : Empire, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, Vampire Counts, Beastmen, High Elves, Lizardmen( but i have opinions on every army just not the money)
40k: Black Templars, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Tau (thinking of Eldar)
the only army where the BSB can be the general is Lizzard men with a slannmage so it is still not a legal list im afraid although it does look good i must say
First thing, at 1000 pts, aren't allowed 250 pts of heroes ? I have 245 pts.
Second, I only have 55 pts left into my specials, so no room for 10 GG.
Third, we have the obligation to field 3 units, excluding heroes and lords, that's why I have a smaller unit.
Fourth ? I double checked and I've found no where that our general must be a vampire, can you point the page for me ? Because in this current list I'm using the Necro as my general. If I truly can't, simply remove the BsB status from my Vamp and put 2 more Ghouls (as I believe I'm 8 pts over).
Fifth, I prefer a caster over a dueler at this point level A) he gives me such much needed speed on the first turn, if I manage to get good magic pool rolls, Ill be more than happy to buff my ghoul units, more buddies, more attacks, more kills, more fun.
If I'm 8 point over, remove a single ghoul from the list.
@Collins, srry, I thought your critique was about my list, nevermind. Use my post as comments for my own list
Last edited by Bladesuit; December 4th, 2010 at 17:45.