<3000 2500 pts calvary heavy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

2500 pts calvary heavy

I know cavalry took a nerf, but they're still really cool IMO so here's my list.

I'm deciding between a staff of damnation knight or a Drakenhoff Wight to give the black knights more survivability.

Vampire Lord (Blood Knights)
    Ogre Blade, Nightshroud, Crown of the Damned
    Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Dreadknight
    -400-

Wight King
    Sword of Kings, Dragon Helm, Other tricksters shard, Skeletal Steed
    -140-

Vampire (Skeles or ghouls)
    Forbidden Lore (Beasts)
    Gambler's armor, Helm of Commandment
    BSB
    -210-

Vampire Counts
    Staff of Damnation, Balefire Spike
    Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred
    -200-

Skeletons x32
    Full Command, Warbanner
    -301-

Ghouls x40
    Ghast
    -328-

Black Knights x11
    Full Command, Banner of the Barrows
    -349-

Black Coach
    -200-

Blood Knights x5
    Standard: Blood Keep
    -370-

Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Think I'm going to try this first. Otherwise I feel like the black knights are too fragile. It's a potent unit now and a character killer forcing everyone to reroll ward saves but maintaining their regen save. Meanwhile the blood knights are also a high priority target. The cavalry should hit the lines first so the vampire will hopefully be able to lend his WS for hitting on 2's and wounding on 2's allowing for 2 potent hammers and the skeles and ghouls should be decent anvils.

Standard deployment would be coach in center with infantry on either side with cavalry flanking them. Vampire will be in the block closest to the black knights.

-400-

Wight King (Black Knights)
    Sword of Kings, Dragon Helm, Other tricksters shard, Skeletal Steed
    -140-

Wight King (Black Knights)
    BSB: Drakenhoff, Skeletal Steed, Lance
    -252-

Vampire (Skeles or ghouls)
    Forbidden Lore (Vampires)
    Gambler's armor, Helm of Commandment
    -180-

Skeletons x32
    Full Command, Warbanner
    -301-

Ghouls x40
    Ghast
    -328-

Black Knights x10
    Full Command, Banner of the Barrows
    -325-

Black Coach
    -200-

Blood Knights x5
    Standard: Blood Keep
    -370-

2496 Total

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks good, opponent's magic phase is gonna be scary though when u rely on 2 units without having a dispell scroll, good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like this list was put up a while ago but ill shoot anyway.

Have you had a chance to test it? Hows it play?

I disagree with your opening comment - That Knights have been nerfed. Their usage has changed certainly, but they still do point for point the same damage if not more if used correctly.

Re your vampire - Why have you got the ogre blade and infinite hatred for a unit of Blood Knights, i would strongly suggest Dread Lance - does the same job, better, for less points. It loses effectiveness on turn 2, but you shouldnt be fightning combat in round 2 with Blood Knights so this isnt an issue. 4 Auto hits at St 7 with Red Fury is nasty.

Additionally you say its cavalry heavy but have two very small cavalry units. I understand the size of the Blood Knights - not cheap.

Have you considered a unit of 30 strong Black knights? All 30 would fight in horde formation, and while magic would be a problem your opponent isnt going to take out the entire unit in a single phase, before you bring them straight back. 30 knights ASF, rerolling to hit (with magic), str 6 with 2 characters ?!?. And unlike other smaller knight units, these guys could take the hits.
    - Put a vampire in the background somewhere with the Helm of commandment or whatever its call.... lol.

Knights rock in 8th, you just have to spend more points
    --Gero--
    40k - Orks // Fantasy - Tomb kings
    (And eternal Mordheim addict)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

thanks for the response!

lol never even thought of thirty knights, that would run me an extra 480 points, so no blood knights or coach. Sounds interesting but seems a little too much invested in one unit for my tastes. Might have to try in a 'ard boyz list, or a list just for fun though.

While it's only 2 cav units, with VC only having foot core count its about as much as I can get in there. I could drop the coach for another unit of black knights or blood knights, but again in key moments the extra magic defense can be crucial (or crushing since it happens to me! but I still like the risk)

I used to run the dread lance, but there's been too many times where i've been counter charged, or off on the charge by 1/2" and got charged by a big nasty. The loss on the chance of missing an attack is worth it to me to ensure that he fights every round at maximum strength.

I've only been able to get 2 games in, against o&c and skaven. I've found target priority on who to charge to be crucial when playing with cavalry. The black knights wrecks shop against the enemy's elite units and the blood knights owned elite and horde alike.

Having 2 units capable of destruction put some doubts in my enemy on who to shoot/magic. While 30 black knights will take a while to whittle down, with everything firing at it. I did have some trouble getting spells off though since my mages are only level 2 and I went up against at least one level 4 each time.

Although it hasn't happened to me yet with this list, I like the independence of the black knights. If I lose my lord the wights have high enough Ld that I have a decently easy crumble test to make and they have the speed to be able to get where they need to go. I had a game once where I lost my lord and my graveguard weren't crumbling because of the wight lord, but they're just so slow when you can't magic them around that they didn't have as much impact as I would like.

After playing this list, I agree with you. Knights are still awesome, they just take a little more care to play with target selection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool man

Couple of quick questions then.

Re countercharging etc, You should have the edge with such a large charge range as well as magic movement. Also Dreadlance, even at S5, would still work being counter charged wouldnt it?

Have you considered the +attacks rather than +str on your lord then given red fury? I would think S5 would be fine for most armies especially supporte by the blood knights. Additionally, have you considered bumping the lord to lvl 3 to help with the magic issue?

And also - how does the black coach run? not an issue for your already limited magic phase sucking up all the power dice? (well, not all :p)
    --Gero--
    40k - Orks // Fantasy - Tomb kings
    (And eternal Mordheim addict)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

another note:- if you could squeze in a lore of shadows vamp that unit of 30 BG +2 heros would be S10 due okrims mindrazo 30+ attacks ASF with re-roll KB and S10 now that would scare the shit out of me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

black coach runs really well. It meshes with the infantry elements of the list quite well, a dual charge usually resulting in winning the first round against most infantry. There has been times where it may have been annoying when it sucked up my dice, but its worth it when it ends up turning your enemy's pool from 8 dice to 5 on a good roll.

The dreadlance does indeed work if being charged. If I did swap it out I'd take beguile instead of infinite hatred just in case. But what I also like about the ogreblade is it allows me to have nightshroud to protect against assassins and the like. While they do have impressive charge range, with charge distances being random there has been times where I fluffed the roll and got charged by a stegadon/dragon, in those cases I really prefer the S7. Although I have been considering the extra attack swords, if would turn him from a nut cracker to a chainsaw though, and with the blood knights I have enough chainsaws.

Have consider the extra magic level, not sure where to find the 50 points though as I like the upgrades on the other characters better.

draghkar, that does sounds frightening, but I can't really afford it as the only thing I can think to replace is the hero vamp, and the lore of vampires has so much synergy and its perfect for level 1 wizards that I really need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-400-

*shivers*
    u want your lord dead?
    your lord will be dead after turn 1
    he just shoots his helblaster volley gun and you are MASHED at ur lord
    i NEVER advise hvy cav forces
    they crumble FAR to fast and they got nerved HARD in 8th becoming nearly useless cause the main role (outflanking) has been modified (at least 1 rank/10 models) it has become shitty to take heavy cav cus they will ALWAYS face steadfast units and mostly crumble
    and becus u cant heal em good u dead anyways.....
    oh and the HoC is by far the best item of the vampires so TAKE IT XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Lokyar pretty much everything you said were my concerns while building this list. After a few playtests though I've found ways to mitigate those problems through deployment/maneuvering. Played a few more games, here's whats happened

never lost the lord to mundane missiles. 5 blood knights will protect him from the opening salvo and after that allocating, T5 and 4++ helps. Combined with using terrain to my advantage to limit the number of shooters I usually hit the enemy with min 3+ blood knights and thats if I don't raise them.

Just because your pretty much boned if your lord goes down doesn't mean you should always bunker him. Granted there will be situations (against empire gunlines with heavy magic probably) where I'll put him with the black knights instead, a lot more cushions. But honestly I'm not too worried about shooting, was more worried about facing steadfast all the time but in the games I've played recently its kind of worked to my advantage. A lot of the times I end up killing/breaking a unit in their combat phase if I get the charge off.

I have been on a hot streak as far as luck concerned (once a dwarf shot handgunners to kill a blood knight then tried to cannon ball my general several times. Missed the first one, the second cannon misfired. 2nd turn I was in his lines), but so far it hasn't been a problem, did fine against skaven versus 10+ jezzails, 2 warp lightning cannons, wind globadiers and the poison mortar things. Vanhel's definitely helps ALOT

And I agree on the helm of commandment, soooo good. before this list I've rarely used it. Now I can't imagine not having that tactical flexibility. Normally I use it on the black guards, but its range is long enough to use on other units as well. Ghouls do awesome at WS 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast