<3000 2000 - Returning to Vampires - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 - Returning to Vampires

Vampire Lord - (445 pts)
    Gear
    - Talisman of Preservation
    - Cadaverous Curiass (our DE player uses Executioners and our demon player likes Skulltaker)
    - Ogre Blade (might trade for +2 attacks instead of this for red fury)
    Vampiric Powers
    - Summon Ghouls
    - Infinite Hatred
    - Red Fury

Necromancer (70 pts)
    - 2 spells

Wight King (105 pts)
    - Great Weapon
    - Skeletal Steed w/ Barding

Units

Ghouls * 20 (168 pts)
    - Ghast

Skeleton Warriors * 39 (371 pts)
    - Full cmd
    - Spear

Black Knights *5 (180 pts)
    - Full cmd
    - Barding

Dire Wolves *5 (40 pts)
    Dire Wolves *5 (40 pts)

Vargulf

Vargulf

Cairn Wraiths *3 (150)

Total (if i didn't miss something) 1994 pts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things I'm thinking of changing
    - Knights become a unit of grave guard, wight king goes on foot w/ axe of krell (probably lose the dogs too for the cost)
    - vargulf + cairn wraiths could become a black coach

Any assistance would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenKnight2001 View Post
    Vampire Lord - (445 pts)
    Gear
    - Talisman of Preservation
    - Cadaverous Curiass (our DE player uses Executioners and our demon player likes Skulltaker)
    - Ogre Blade (might trade for +2 attacks instead of this for red fury)
    Vampiric Powers
    - Summon Ghouls
    - Infinite Hatred
    - Red Fury

I like the Ogre blade better, for the simple reason that it allows you to take on enemy heroes, monsters and elite units much more effectively which is what your list ultimately lacks.

Necromancer (70 pts)
    - 2 spells

Wight King (105 pts)
    - Great Weapon
    - Skeletal Steed w/ Barding

These guys aren't too bad. But some magic items could go a long way. Black periapt or book of arkhan, and you already mentioned the black axe, its much more useful now that there are monsters everywhere

Units

Ghouls * 20 (168 pts)
    - Ghast

Skeleton Warriors * 39 (371 pts)
    - Full cmd
    - Spear

Skeletons shouldn't be relied on to kill anything besides empire state troops really. And even then they're not to great. I think a horde is wasted on them. I'd go 30 of them with a warbanner

Black Knights *5 (180 pts)
    - Full cmd
    - Barding

Grave guard or black knights are both good. They fill very different roles though. The grave guard would be a great mainstay of your army and is an awesome place to put your general. Black knights go really well with your varghulfs however. Looking at your current list though, with the cairn wraiths and dire wolves (see below on my thoughts on them) you should probably go with grave guard though. Dropping the dire wolves will allow you to fill out a bigger unit and still have a formidable flank support in 2 varghulfs and 3 cairn wraiths

Dire Wolves *5 (40 pts)
    Dire Wolves *5 (40 pts)

Drop these guys. They're not very useful now a days since they can't deny ranks. And they're so weak even missile troops can take them on normally. If you're looking for something to harass warmachines and missile troops and support the varghulf I'd go with fell bats. But 2 varghulfs and 3 cairn wraiths along one flank can more or less support themselves if you keep them together

Vargulf

Vargulf

Cairn Wraiths *3 (150)

Total (if i didn't miss something) 1994 pts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things I'm thinking of changing
    - Knights become a unit of grave guard, wight king goes on foot w/ axe of krell (probably lose the dogs too for the cost)
    - vargulf + cairn wraiths could become a black coach

With only a level 2 wizard, a black coach could really help your magic defense. Just a thought, varghul + cairn wraiths could become a terrorgheist + extra magic level

Any assistance would be appreciated
    Hope I've been helpful
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments. First game with them since the new rules came out will be this Monday. I'll take your advice into consideration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoops, the Vampire has lvl 3 magic as well, forgot to put that up. Points didn't look quite right.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Skeletons can work as a frontline unit, but you need to;
    a) support them with either the lore/s of Fire, Beasts, Metal or Light from the BRB. Or else you need a couple of Shadow wizards who can drop the enemies stats.
    This means you need to look ahead with your casters. Abilities like Master of the Black Arts & obviously Forbidden Lore are mandetory to get the power dice & spell lore/s you'll need. Magic items like the Helm of Commandment and Staff of Damnation really work wonders too. And never doubt the power of Vanhel's Danse on a unit in combat!

b) Add in a fighty character. A Wight King or Wraith is the cheapest bet, along with perhaps a Banshee for screaming!
    A Vampire Thrall is expensive pts wise, and less survivable overall, but you can really tailor them to fit.

c) A magic banner. It's the one significant advantage the boneheads have... Regen problems? Take the Hellfire Banner and you've got magical attacks as a bonus! Want extra static combat res? War Banner gives you +1, or the Banner of the Dead Legion allows you to claim a 4th rank... Cursed Banner of Mousillon means you can get a bit of revenge if/when your unit dies (and is really good vs elves!) Lichbone Banner gets you some magic resistance, or else the Icon of Vengeance means your unit won't crumble if your general bites the dust...
    Alot of usefull choices there overall, and you should *always* invest the upto 25pts to at least help (slightly) buff your already over-priced skeletons.

Most VC players leave the skeletons at home though, because it's very difficult to get them to work decently, especially for their obnoxiously high pts cost.
    Ghouls are simply much easier to use, and don't rely on a decent magic phase and added character support...

Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread