Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I’m looking to go into my first tournament using my vampire counts. I have a pretty “standard” list I guess. I did very well against a tough Dark Elf army the other night as well.
Any feedback on this list would be greatly appreciated. The list needs to be 2,200 points and meet the following requirements:
- Special, named, or unique characters (including any army lists that require special characters) are not allowed.
- A maximum of 3 identical core choices may be taken (regardless of equipment and other upgrades).
- Units cannot be more than 40 models nor 450 points (including all command, upgrades, magic items/banners). This restriction applies during the creation of the roster - unit size/cost may be increased during the game (for example - by joining characters to the unit). This restriction does not apply to characters.
- Vampire Counts: Cairn Wraiths and the Varghulf are each 0-1 choices. Maximum 5 model Cairn Wraith unit. Army may have a maximum of two units (total) of: Cairn Wraiths, the Black Coach or Spirit Hosts. Army may include a maximum of two of the following: Helm of Commandment, Master of the Black Arts, Drakenhoff Banner.
2200 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster
Vampire Lord, 450 pts (General; Vampire; Level 3 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead)
- Casting Lore of Metal or Heavens (Not sure yet)
- Will go in Graveguard
The Flayed Hauberk
Helm of Commandment
Lord of the Dead
Invocation of Nehek
Wight King (Battle Standard Bearer)
-Will go in Graveguard
The Drakenhof Banner
Grave Guard -28
The Banner of the Barrows
- Goes with Skeletons
Invocation of Nehek
Vanhel's Danse Macabre
Skeleton Warriors -39
Banner of Hellfire
40 Zombie Horde
25 Zombie Horde
Cairn Wraith - 5
1 Tomb Banshee
I would drop the helm and see if you can swap it for the crown of the damned, since he is likely to be in combat, it's not going to see much use.
You could then get a thrall in there with the helm and forbidden lore. Will set you back 170.
You could also look at this vampire built, lvl 3 upgrade, red fury, infinite hatred, lord of the dead, orge blade, flayed hauberk, crown of the damned. Comes to about 445 and pretty much kills anything it touches.
You could also take two necromancers with a single spell each for 5 points more and gets you an extra channel roll.
Skellies are cool and they really fit the look & feel of what a VC should be about, but sadly, you need 2-3 augment spells to make them do anything. Not impossible, but ghouls are a safer bet and will preform better.
Zombies need never apply - they're really that awful!
VC's sadly have 1 build for competitive play, and you can't deviate too much from it otherwise you're looking at a massive uphill fight because most of our book is hugely over-costed and/or just doesn't work in 8th...
Thanks for the reply and feedback. Sadly this army reflects what I have for a force. Is there any competitive build that you could suggest or of the one build you speak of?
Skellies will work some core or as a tarpit, that's about it. I like 30 skeletons, full command and the warbanner. Always use skellies just 5 wide and try to outrank and out CR the opponent, because you can't rely on getting kills with their measly attacks, also stick to hw/s, spears look cooler but you want to prevent CR and an extra rank of attacks isn't worth the points or loss of parry save.
Other than that I agree with what 626 said, keep the necro to a minimum. The most I'd give him is invo, vanhel's and an arcane item like a scroll, book of arkhan or black periapt.
Most Notable Achievements:
Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.