<2000 New army book: first list 2000pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New army book: first list 2000pts

Had played around with squeezing a Master Nec and Vamp Lord in at 2000pts but instead settled on this.

Lord 416 (21%)
    Vampire Lord- 416
    -Red Fury
    -Quick Blood
    -Sword of Bloodshed
    -Enchanted Shield
    -Talisman of Preservation
    -Heavy Armour

Heroes 220 (11%)
    Necromancer lvl 2- 120
    -Master of the Dead

Necromancer lvl 2- 10*

Core 574 (29%)
    18 Skeletons S&S FC- 120

30 Ghouls Ghast- 310

10 Dire Wolves- 80

18 Zombies Musc & Std.- 64

Special 549 (27%)
    19 Grave Guard FC GW Banner of Barrows- 327

2 Bat Swarms- 7*

4 Crypt Horrors- 76slaves

Rare 240 (12%)

Mortis Engine Blasphemous Tome- 240

Idea behind the list is that I do have some punch in the form of Ghouls & Grave Guard, and looking top get flanks with the faster units and/or the Crypt Horrors. Who in paticular will be benifiting from added durablity thanks to the Mortis Engine, which makes up for the slightly smaller unit size than I was fielding prior to the new book (min 25GG 40 horde ghouls.The Necromancers will be looking to grow the skeleton/ zombie bunkers asap and I think at lvl 2 with the boost from Mortis Engine they should be suprisingly cost effective.

My main opponents are Skaven & High Elves so any comments with regards to opposing those two armies would be great. For example would making some roo for The Night Shroud on my Lord be worth it if I'm going to be taking on a Prince, that way I won't be wasting my ASF and will get my Re-roll to Hit.

Last edited by leebrown19; January 29th, 2012 at 14:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it should do alright. Have you considered putting summon creatures of the night on your vamp lord? you could throw 1 die attempts at invo to not risk a miscast and with a +3 to cast you'll only need 3s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zombies have a minimum unit size of 20 models.
    Yes people i know that my spelling and punctuation is awful but I am product of British teaching pollicies so what can I do about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khazad varn View Post
    Zombies have a minimum unit size of 20 models.
    Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocco View Post
    I think it should do alright. Have you considered putting summon creatures of the night on your vamp lord? you could throw 1 die attempts at invo to not risk a miscast and with a +3 to cast you'll only need 3s.
    I realy wish people would not sugest one dice casting. I think you must be thinking of the old magic rules where a misscast is on a double 1. In 8th eddition you get irrisistable force on a double 6 AND roll on the miscast table. But, to stop once dice casting, you must now score a minumum natural dice roll of 3+. If you do not role 3+ you will "Loose Concentraion", meaning your wizard cannot cast anymore spells that turn. If you start casting with single dice you risk a 1 in 3 chance of your wizard not being able to cast for the rest of the turn.

I wouldnt waste points on creatures of the night. you will have wished that dice you threw at those units had been used elsewhere at the end of the game.

First thing i would change is boost the size of that skeleton unit. You want to be starting at about 25-30 without a shawdow of doubt. Anything smaller is riskey considering you probably have at least one necromancer in there, a bunker needs to be big, even if your going to raise into it.

Zombies, okay. more skeletons would be better but zombies can help out being risen to rediculous numbers and being able to raise lots back fast. Saying that you need at least 20, and i wouldnt leave home without 30 starting.

Not sure i would bother with wolves. Remember you can only march within 12" of the General. Are you using them as a screen? to guard flanks from skirmishers etc? I would just suggest dont use them tp win combats on thier own as they arent good enough, and arent realy fast enough to go war machine hunting.

The problem with Ghouls is that they are alot of effort and points which i think are best diverted elsewhere. Everyone used to have ghoul hordes which is a massive reason they are now arguably over pointed, to encourage people to buy different units. (GW isnt stupid, just evil.) They have poison and 2 attacks each with T4, but you have no standard option, and no musician, so you cant make fast reform, and rely soley upon doing damage for combat at a large cost. The biggest hit is you can no longer raise them above thier starting unit size so you cant even cover the cost by buying small and raising big. I personaly wouldnt take them in anything but themed ghoul armies.

Grave Gaurd could do with being several models larger.

Bat swarms i take it your taking so you can hope to redirect enemies, just remember you still need to be in 12" of the general to march with them.

Crypt Horrors boost these guys to 6 models and consider the champion if you have points left over. Wounds are important here as this is a stopping unit so the more you have, the better they will be. you dont need to worry too much about manouverability as long as you close enough to the Meninge to boost your regen. If you were going to take the flying vargheists i would say 4 is fine, but with horrors you want 6-8.

High elves i can see you facing maybe lore of light on multiple mages to whittle you down or lores which will burn taking away regen or lores which will make you take Initiative tests or die, due to your low Int. Big blocks will help save you from a punishing barage of bolt throwers and magic before coming to large blocks of spearmen, and possibly greatswords with lots of attacks. A corpse cart would be hand to give you ASF but im not sure if you strike at the same time or Int order in that case so im not sure it would make much of a difference. You may find dominating magic difficult in this game and should expect a Mage with +4 to cast and dispel.

Skaven, once again expect a lvl 4 to lead them. The big thing here will be dealing with block units if they have stubborn from having more ranks, as they will no doubt have a bsb and a ld of 9-10 due to thier special rules. War machine tema could be a pain with mortas and warp fire throwers so these are good targets for your bats, a banshee if she was in a unit close enough could also do the trick at taking them down. Outnumber skaven and make them take break tests and you will win. It is one reason you need bigger units to start with. you can expect skaven to take severl units at least 40 strong if not 50-60 with spears, maybe in horde formation. That may attacks before combat res could destroy your units in 2 turns of combat. Another thing to wathc out for is many of the weapons and spells are flaming and magical which will get rid of your regen.

Both armies are likely to take the banner giving a unit flaming attacks, common practice with most armies now so they have a unit to deal with regen and etheral units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lord 416 (21%)
    Vampire Lord- 416

-Red Fury
    -Quick Blood
    -Sword of Bloodshed
    -Enchanted Shield
    -Talisman of Preservation
    -Heavy Armour
    I would just like to point out you have spent too many points in magic items on your vamp lord
    6th Ed record w/d/l
    CSM - 3/1/1

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

Which sword is bloodshed? +3 attacks? If so, then yes overpointed, as Talisman of Protection and Enchanted Shield use up over 50pts of the 100pts limit, and i believe the the sword giving +3 attacks is also over 50pts.

If you want a good vampire lord build i sugest taking a look at this Lord build stolen from Petrocco's army list. It is arguably the best build i have seen so far for a vampire lord.

Vampire lord TOTAL = 414
    -Red Fury
    -Quickblood
    -Dread Knight
    -Heavy Armour
    -Sheild
    -Giant Blade
    -Dragonhelm
    -Seed Of Rebirth
    -Other Trickster's Shard

Now i would be tempted to drop Dreadknight (which gives you +2 ws but you always have to issue and except challenges), but he has enough high strength attacks with asf to see most people off. He also has regen 6+ (boosted to 5+ with Mengine), and incase you come across flaming attacks he gains a 2+ward save. The main thing to watch out for here is killing blow, which has the potential to ruin your day, and if the Meninge pops the that regen doesnt look quite so healthy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltrock36 View Post
    I realy wish people would not sugest one dice casting. I think you must be thinking of the old magic rules where a misscast is on a double 1. In 8th eddition you get irrisistable force on a double 6 AND roll on the miscast table. But, to stop once dice casting, you must now score a minumum natural dice roll of 3+. If you do not role 3+ you will "Loose Concentraion", meaning your wizard cannot cast anymore spells that turn. If you start casting with single dice you risk a 1 in 3 chance of your wizard not being able to cast for the rest of the turn.
    Hi there! your post was full of good information, no doubt. I would just like to say that 1 die casting can be your best bet. If you are casting with your level 1 vampire lord, he will only have one spell. When he casts it with one die, sure he risks not being able to cast for the rest of the phase but he has no more spells anyway. I prefer that risk over gaining a miscast which could change the game.

ps glad you like my lord build ( makes me happy hahaha)
    Last edited by Petrocco; January 30th, 2012 at 18:48.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

No problem, it is a very strong build.

I only commented on the one die casting because alot of people have sugested buying lots of necros and pumping out 1 die casting. Just didint want leebrown19 to take this as the way to always cast invocation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltrock36 View Post
    I only commented on the one die casting because alot of people have sugested buying lots of necros and pumping out 1 die casting. Just didint want leebrown19 to take this as the way to always cast invocation.
    Yeah, it isn't always the best way. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but if you are in a challange with the vampire lord and you kill your opponent with his base attacks, do you make the red fury attacks in an attempt to count them towards the overkill bonus? or are the attacks wasted?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast