<3000 3000pts vampire counts army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3000pts vampire counts army

hello dudes
    I used to play the fantasy system and vampire counts a time ago but have come back to the game with 8th ed, so i'm not sure of the mechanics of it yet, so i wrote up this list for some comment and advice to wheather i am heading in the right direction but i may be stuck in the mind set of 7th ed.

Vampire lord
    Zombie dragon
    Lance
    Heavy Armour
    Shield
    Lore of vampires
    Sword +2 attacks
    Red fury
    Total = 571

Heroes
    Vampire
    Hand weapon
    Red fury

Vampire
    Hand weapon
    Red fury

Vampire
    Hand weapon
    Red fury

hero Total = 474

* each sit in a skeleton units

Troops
    20x skeleton warriors
    Command

20x skeleton warriors
    Command

20x skeleton warriors
    Command

20x skeleton warriors = 100
    Command = 30

20x ghouls

core Total = 720

Special
    20 x grave guard
    Command
    Banner of burrows

5 Hex wraiths
    hell wraith

3x vargheist
    Vargoyle

Total = 608

RARE
    Terror heist

5x blood knights
    Flag of blood keep
    Command
    Book of arkan

Total = 610

any good? thanks for viewing

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

The lord seems fine to me, but if you are using a dragon, going for higher Str weapon might be a more effective strategy in comparison to going for multiple attacks. Dragonbreath will take care all, or at least most if the infantry you'll be going up against so I dont think you will need that many attacks to finish off an already weakened unit. Instead if you give him an Ogre blade or something along those lines, you could turn him into a MC killer as well.

Hero vamps look a little squishy to me, vampires are expensive as they are and when they are not properly armored they tend to die very quickly(T4) so any kind of heavy armor or at least a talisman of some kind is better than nothing. You also dont have a mage, so thats something to think about.

Core is where I see the most problem. In 8th edition, fielding larger stronger blocks of infantry is a lot more effective so if I were you I'd take 2 units of 40 skeletons, and keep the ghouls on a side for flanking. Alternatively you can use wolves to either add or replace the ghouls. They are only 90 pts for a unit of 10, and are pretty good flankers. Grave guard I see the same problem, for a 3k game 20 is too few. I'd add at least 5 more. You could also consider taking a wight king in addition to the vamps, or switch one of the vamps for a king in order to give him a standard and stick him with the grave guard. The order of loss here is going to be dragon/blood knights then grave guard.

Special looks fine, but I dont know how the hex wraiths fit in here. 5 is too few to make a difference in a gave of this size.

Rare looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also in a 3000 point game you need 750 pts in core.... the way you added it up (i dont have my book on me) you say you have 720. so you would need to add a few more points into core. toher than that i agree with WraithGuardian

Cheers
    What do you do if Glade Guard are sitting in some woods with a Treeman nearby? You can't do anything to the Treeman, and if you charge the Glade Guard, all kinds of Elven woodiness will get to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can drop the lance on your lord, as he'll never get to use it. if you have a magic weapon, you have to use that magic weapon. you can never choose to use the lance instead. And the +2 Strength bonus from the lance won't carry over to the +2 attacks from your magic sword, so you might as well get rid of one or the other.

I'm of a different opinion than the above two posters, in regards to high strength vs high number of attacks. a S2 breath weapon won't do much. we're talking 2d6 hits, 5s to wound... you'll average about 3 kills. that's not weakened in my mind. I don't use a Z.Dragon much, but when i do i make sure to tool the vampire out to carve as much combat res as he can. Extra attacks are usually the way to go. If the opponent challenges with his champion, you have to accept (unless you have another unit in the fight). You kill him with the vampire easy, but the dragon never gets to attack, and never gets his thunderstomp. you lose a LOT of combat res that way. then he wins with static res and you take wounds. But if you give yourself +3 attacks (combined with red fury), you should have no problem getting max overkill. Depending who charged, you might not WIN combat, but you won't lose the dragon to combat res either. In subsequent rounds, you'd be free to wail on the unit.

Simply put, i like my dragon to actually be a dragon, and be able to take on units without support. More attacks (i.e. more combat res) is more important to me than nailing some T3 elf with S7.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

Skeleton units are too small. Expect to loose 2 units to concentrated missile fire before they see combat if your unlucky. 30 skeletons i would say is the bare minimum just to be safe.

Generaly for the points you are playing all your units are on the small size. Unless you had magic dominance, which you wont with this build, and a necromancer who could raise skeletons above starting size, even with a vampire in each unit, the combined combat res from a massive enemy infantry block is going to wipe out any of those skeleton units through crumble and weight of attacks.

Basicaly, necromancers are now the bread and butter of any raising in your army, and you want at LEAST 1 for every 1000pts. You might even be able to squeeze a naked necro lord lvl3 into your ist to help raising and magic defence. Vampires are now less magic, and there more to make sure you get some wounds caused as most of vc troops cant be relied upon to get the job done themselves.

Grave gaurd you need to be looking at least 25 and could do with character support. A must for GG is great weapons. They dont need to be bunkers anymore as this is the job of cheap skeletons, you need these guys to do damage and having S6 even if you strike last is the way to go. With BoB and GW most cases your hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s (if its still +1 to hit). Much better than taking sword and board.

Hexwraiths may make your oppnent worry, but im not a fan. I would certainly increase the unit size, and only use them for attacking lone war machines or running through people. against large units even if you hit and wound with everything a unit of 5 will die.

Vargheists need to be double that size if you want to use them for anything more than war machine harrassment. You only gain 1 wound back on them when raising and the will be far from your wizards range most of the time so they need to hold there own. Use only against small units, or prefferably in the flank of units engaged with your skeleton blocks.

Think BLood knight Champion can only take magic weapons now. Will have to check, but means no book of arkhan. At a close to 3000pts limit this unit needs to be 7 models, idealy with a vampire character who can throw a raise if you absolutly need to.

Terrorgheist when out of 12" of your general will only move 10" a turn, not fly 20" as it wont be able to march. May be worth rethinking as without the general constantly neaby it is very vulnerable, and running round a zombie draong and terrorghesit is dificult to get them both cover from war machines.

If you didnt already know, vampire spam will not let your whole are march now. You can only march within 12" of the general, not 6" of any model with the vampire rule, so when your lord flys off, your troops are at 4" movement per turn.

Hope this helps.

-Saltrock-

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Finchht09 View Post
    you can drop the lance on your lord, as he'll never get to use it. if you have a magic weapon, you have to use that magic weapon. you can never choose to use the lance instead. And the +2 Strength bonus from the lance won't carry over to the +2 attacks from your magic sword, so you might as well get rid of one or the other.

I'm of a different opinion than the above two posters, in regards to high strength vs high number of attacks. a S2 breath weapon won't do much. we're talking 2d6 hits, 5s to wound... you'll average about 3 kills. that's not weakened in my mind. I don't use a Z.Dragon much, but when i do i make sure to tool the vampire out to carve as much combat res as he can. Extra attacks are usually the way to go. If the opponent challenges with his champion, you have to accept (unless you have another unit in the fight). You kill him with the vampire easy, but the dragon never gets to attack, and never gets his thunderstomp. you lose a LOT of combat res that way. then he wins with static res and you take wounds. But if you give yourself +3 attacks (combined with red fury), you should have no problem getting max overkill. Depending who charged, you might not WIN combat, but you won't lose the dragon to combat res either. In subsequent rounds, you'd be free to wail on the unit.

Simply put, i like my dragon to actually be a dragon, and be able to take on units without support. More attacks (i.e. more combat res) is more important to me than nailing some T3 elf with S7.
    You cant really go wrong on this. More attacks means you'll demolish anything empire, elves and skavens throw at you. High Str attacks will rape anything chaos, Ogres, Beastmen and orks throw at you. I tend to play a lot of chaos players so I'll obviously want more bang for the buck. But when fighting lower T armies, I just stuck the lord on abyssal terror and gave him a +3A sword and turn the whole model into a Str5 whirlwind. Plus its a much smaller and cheaper target in comparison to a dragon, so for me my lord survived a lot longer because people are not afraid of the terror as much as of the dragon whcih is not smart, cause the model hits just as hard in CC.

+ Reply to Thread