<2000 New to VC and warhammer in general need help with list! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to VC and warhammer in general need help with list!

So a buddy of mine who plays 40k with me offered to sell me some VC's he had for a really cheap price compared to buying them new. Now I am a solid 40k player and never considered playing warhammer but I always loved the way the VC's looked so I jumped on the opportunity. Now the items I got im sure by no means will make up an army or maybe they will I have no idea lol. So with that said the items I have are as follows;

1x Terrorgeihst
    1x Corpsecart
    50x skeleton warriors musician, banner, champion or leader
    1x wight king
    1x necromancer (the one slumped over with a weird staff)
    1x mortis engine thing

He also supposedly ordered 10 wolves and two vamps that are waiting for him at the game shop we go to.

So long story short I have no idea what im doing I heard VC's can be pretty competative and no idea what or how to build an army let alone how to even play warhammer. So I am turning to all of you to help with what to buy, and how to build them. Any tips suggestions and overall anything at all is greatly appriciated! Thanks a ton for the help! Also no idea what the usually point limit is for a warhammer tourney or game.

Last edited by Brother Captain Tom; April 3rd, 2012 at 09:38.
    Ultramarines 12W/7L/2D 4000points Waaagh! Whut 9W/5L/1D 18000points
    Blood Angels Razorspam 2W/1L 2500points Vampire Counts Never played No idea lol!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well welcome to fantasy! It's definitely more fun than 40k! haha jk

Anyway, do you have the rule book and/or the army book? This is definitely the place to start. You should get your hands on the army book at least and read through it, certain units will catch your eye. Once you do that, throw together a list of 2000 or 2500 points using this guide:

Lords - up to 25%
    Heroes - up to 25%
    Core - atleast 25%
    Special - up to 50%
    Rare - up to 25%

There are items that you can give your heroes and lords in the back of the rule book, which for lords is up to 100 points and heroes up to 50 points. Other than that you should be able to throw a list together with units that interest you(or what you have!) and we can help you from there! May I suggest looking over a few of the list on this forum as they may be a good guideline. Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The models you have and will get are good ones. Winning tournament armies have those models. (Black coaches, bat swarms, and fell bats are seen more rarely.)

You need more core troops, mainly zombies or ghouls.

Most people will advise you collect a unit of blood knights, black knights, grave guard, or vargheists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a ton for the tips everyone! I have the army book but not the rulebook yet I was thinking of getting a squad of blood knights and unsure if I should do more skellies or zombies or ghouls for the rest of the main force also unsure if I want a generic vamp or a named one to lead my army since I have no idea how they all play out.
    Blood Angels Razorspam 2W/1L 2500points Vampire Counts Never played No idea lol!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest a generic vampire, you can play with his powers and gear from game to game to see how you like to play him. They are VERY customizable. I prefer to run him as a melee lord with the support of a couple level 2 hero necromancers. I also take the mortis engine with the blasphemous tome to help with casting. For core I like a big block of skeletons in horde formation (10 frontage and 5 deep) Then fill up the points on zombies, or sometimes take a unit of 20 ghouls for hitting power. For special, grave guard are always a good choice, they hit hard and are fairly easy to ressurect. Just make sure you have enough of them, 25 is a good number. Blood knights can be good, but I find there are to few combats that I am willing to throw them into.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow you guys are helping me out like crazy! I think I will pick up 50 zombies and 30 ghouls to see which ones run better and will try a generic vamp I liked the story behind vlad but he is crazy expensive to put into an army. I am guessing from what you said grave guard are a little more survivable and better at combat than blood knights?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well dont get me wrong, blood knights are very good in combat and will break a lot of units. You will only have a few of them and so losing even 1 or 2 will cripple their combat ability. Anyway you can make them work but I personally dont like using them. Grave guard dont hit quite as hard as blood knights, but they do pack a punch with str 6 especially when you use the banner of the barrows to give them +1 to hit.

I like using zombies as they are very easy to res, but be wary! If you don't like painting, they can be veryyyyy annoying. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I was checking them both out in the army book and realized they are two different groups and I don't think I could take the blood knights since I already have a mortis engine and it seems everyone runs theirs so probably just do some grave guards and put my Wight king in with them and the master necromancer in with my skeletons I was also looking around and a lot of people seem to think zombies are a waist of time is there really any justification to that? If I run a corpse cart will that affect my choices for core units?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the grammatical errors in my posts I am using a phone app most of the time and grammer isn't a strong suit when using thumbs lol. As far as a vampire Lord how does everyone usually kite them out for war? What seems to usually work the best with equipment and magic? I am thinking more of a take all vamp to use in multiple battles against different armies. Thanks a ton for the help to everyone you have all been extremely helpful in my extension into fantasy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well with the mortis engine, I like to put the seed of rebirth on my vampire (item that gives a 6+ regen save, engine buffs it to 5+) and give him the dragonhelm for a 2+ ward vs flaming attacks. But another good option is either the 4+ ward armor or talisman. you dont want to skimp on protection. Then give him either a +strength or + attacks sword. The reason I go for the seed of rebirth is because it leaves me room to take a +3 str sword and the other trickster's shard.

As for powers Red fury is veryyy good and quickblood is a nice addition because a vamp has high inititive and often benefits from rerolls to hit when he has ASF. Dread knight can be nice but it comes down to preference.

As for giving him additionall wizard levels, it can work and some people do like it, but others (myself included) think its too many 'eggs in one basket'.

It seems to be a general consensus that running a vampire kited for melee is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

12. LikeTerrainosaur liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast