[4000] Vampire Counts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[4000] Vampire Counts

I will be playing in a campaign soon with 4 of my friends who feild Orc and Goblins, Dwarf Slayers, Tzeetch and Khorne armies. One of the main rules in the campaign is that we get 2000points to spend on troops and 2000points to spend on Lords. This is my army list -

First 2000 points

Core Units

2 units of 20 skeletons with spears, captains , musicians and standard bearers
    2 units of 20 zombies with standard bearers
    2 units of 5 dire wolves
    1 unit of 12 ghouls with ghast

Special Units

1 unit of 18 grave guards with standard bearer, crypt keeper, musician and banner of the barrows
    1 unit of 4 fell bats
    1 unit of 5 black knights with screaming banner and barding

Rare Units

2 banshees

Heros

1 Necromancer - level 2 with a power familiar
    1 Necromancer - level 2 with a power stone and a spell familiar
    1 Necromancer - level 2 book of Arkhan and casket of the ages

Second 2000 points

Lords

Zacharias the Everliving with Zombie Dragon
    Heinrich Kemmler
    Krell
    Necrach Vampire Lord - gem of blood and forbidden lore

Any comments would be appreciated and also any tactics against my 4 opponents.

EDIT: Please read the rules about appropriate locations for posting army lists, and also how to title them. Aun.

Last edited by Hard A**; October 21st, 2005 at 16:05.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Wow, 4000 points! That's a whopper!

Well, I'm a VC list junkie, so I can't help myself.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of core units. Core units win games, and you've got a tough row to hoe with Slayers, Tzeentch, and Khorne. And O&G are likely to vastly outnumber you. I'd want many more skeletons on the table. Keep the one unit of zombies to serve as a tarpit, but add some skeletons.

To accomplish this, I'd drop Zacharias, awe-inspiring though he might be. This would allow you to accomplish a whole lot in addition to the skeletons. You could add more dire wolves. Units of five won't last long. Also, how about some spirit hosts? Those are excellent and would really help against frenzied units of Khorne and unbreakable slayers.

The grave guard should be beefed up. At least 20 if you have the models.

The banshees are pointless against units immune to psychology, which includes unbreakable slayers, any demons you face, and anything that has a nice mark or banner from a demon lord. They'd really only be useful against O&G. Now a black coach, that'd threaten all your foes and if you have the model, and is worth considering.

As for Zacaharias, Kemmler will insure you a strong magic phase, and Krell can stand up to almost any fighting hero, excepting demon lords and such.

Three necros are good, as is Kemmler and the Necrarch. You'll need all you can get against Khorne and Tzeentch, and maybe slayers. I don't know how their magic defense compares to other dwarfs, which we all know is pretty darned good.

With Zacharias gone, you'd also have more points for knights. Heck, you'd have more points for everything, a bonanza of points. I don't know how willing you are to consider dropping him for another Necrarch lord or count, but I think it'd make your army much more playable.

Survivor's coming on, gotta go!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Looking back at the list, you might have another problem, the amount of character slots you've taken.

Zacharias is one lord and three heroes.
    Kemmler is a lord and if I remember correctly a hero.
    Then you have krell, another hero.
    The Necrarch lord is a lord and a hero.

So you have three lords (okay at 4000, I think) and so far 6 heroes.

Then add three necromancers, and you're up to 9 heroes and 3 lords.

I don't have the codex with me, but are that many okay?

And
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

nope.. in 4000 pts games you can have 3 lords and 5 heroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Hell, I even just copied the name from And - so it's all his fault! :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04
    Wow, 4000 points! That's a whopper!

Well, I'm a VC list junkie, so I can't help myself.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of core units. Core units win games, and you've got a tough row to hoe with Slayers, Tzeentch, and Khorne. And O&G are likely to vastly outnumber you. I'd want many more skeletons on the table. Keep the one unit of zombies to serve as a tarpit, but add some skeletons.

To accomplish this, I'd drop Zacharias, awe-inspiring though he might be. This would allow you to accomplish a whole lot in addition to the skeletons. You could add more dire wolves. Units of five won't last long. Also, how about some spirit hosts? Those are excellent and would really help against frenzied units of Khorne and unbreakable slayers.

The grave guard should be beefed up. At least 20 if you have the models.

The banshees are pointless against units immune to psychology, which includes unbreakable slayers, any demons you face, and anything that has a nice mark or banner from a demon lord. They'd really only be useful against O&G. Now a black coach, that'd threaten all your foes and if you have the model, and is worth considering.

As for Zacaharias, Kemmler will insure you a strong magic phase, and Krell can stand up to almost any fighting hero, excepting demon lords and such.

Three necros are good, as is Kemmler and the Necrarch. You'll need all you can get against Khorne and Tzeentch, and maybe slayers. I don't know how their magic defense compares to other dwarfs, which we all know is pretty darned good.

With Zacharias gone, you'd also have more points for knights. Heck, you'd have more points for everything, a bonanza of points. I don't know how willing you are to consider dropping him for another Necrarch lord or count, but I think it'd make your army much more playable.

Survivor's coming on, gotta go!

Like I said it is the army list for a campaign where the main rule is that we must use 2k of troops and 2k of Lords (or special characters thus why Krell is the Lords list and why characters like Borgut Facebeater from my friends O&G army is in the Lords list) to make up a 4k list so I can't drop Zacharias for more troops. As for the character limits I would need to ask the campaign organiser if we have to follow them but I suspect not as we are allowed 2k Lords and not every army has Lords that are really high points values. That is why I have so few core units as well although I am considering dropping a unit of zombies (which I will use invocation of nehek to resurrect anyway) and taking some more Black Knights or a few Bat Swarms.

And about Slayers their magic resistance is greater than normal dwarfs
    Last edited by davidr149; October 21st, 2005 at 22:18.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Okay, I wasn't sure how closely you had to follow the normal restrictions. It sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you'll post the results.

+ Reply to Thread