von Carstein List - New Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

von Carstein List - New Player

Hi, I've been playing 40k for a while now but I'm just getting into fantasy, I haven't bought any minis yet so feel free to tear this apart if I'm making any glaring errors and please add any tips that you think might help me.

3000 pts (2992, i'm not entirely certain we'll be using this point amount)

Vampire Lord (General) (Magic Level 2)
    -Carstein Ring

Vampire Count (Magic Level 2)
    -Walking Death
    -Sword of Battle
    -Crown of the Damned

thinking this count would be paired with:
    9 Grave Guard
    1 Crypt Keeper
    -Shield
    -Musician
    -Standard

Vampire Thrall
    -Nightmare w/Barding
    -Heavy Armor
    -Sword of Unholy Power

mixed into:
    5 Black Knights
    1 Hell Knight
    -Standard
    -Musician
    -Barding

Vampire Thrall
    -Wolf Form
    -Sword of Striking

mixed with:
    9 Dire Wolves
    1 Doom Wolf

Necromancer (Magic Level 2)
    -Cloak of Mist and Shadow

5 Black Knights
    1 Hell Knight
    -Standard
    -Musician
    -Barding

2 Groups:
    19 Skeleton Warrior
    1 Skeleton Captain
    -Light Armor
    -Spear
    -Musician
    -Standard

3 Spirit Hosts

1 Banshee

3 Bat Swarms

1 Black Coach

Again, thanks for looking over this list and feel free to point out newbie mistakes sine I haven't played FB before. Any suggestions on breaking down this list into a 2000pt or even a 1000pt army would also be appreciated.

Last edited by thysalyx; November 29th, 2005 at 01:23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

If I where you, I would start off with 2000 at most, then build on from there with your gaming experience.

You will need way more than 10 grave guard to keep your unit from getting shot to bits, shoot for 16-20, this also allows you to capitalise on fear.

If you want to save up big points in an undead army, forgo the unit champions. they are cost nearly another model, and in some cases you could get an small unit of wolves or bats for theier price.

2 bat swarms should be fine, they'll make a great speed bump.

How about this for 2000 pts:

Lords & Heroes

Von Carstein Vampire Count @ 336 pts
    Lv 2 Caster, Walking Death, Ring Of Night,
    Book Of Arkham, Great Weapon

Necromancer @ 150 pts
    Lv 2 Caster, Power Familiar
    Von Carstein Vampire Thrall @ 140 pts
    Heavy Armour, Cursed Book,
    Great Weapon

Von Carstein Vampire Thrall 140 @ pts
    Heavy Armour, Great Weapon,
    Cursed Book

Core

20 Skeleton Warriors @ 215 pts
    Light Armour & Shield
    Standard, Musician

Light Armour & Shield
    Standard, Musician

Light Armour & Shield
    Standard, Musician

2 Bat Swarms @ 120 pts

6 Dire Wolves @ 60 pts

Special

5 Black Knights @174 pts
    Barding
    Standard, Musician
    Warbanner

3 Spirit Hosts @ 195 pts

4 Fell Bats @ 80 pts

Rare

1 Banshee @ 90 pts

Total 1990 pts
    models 84
    Power Dice 7+ book Of Arkham
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by thysalyx
    Hi, I've been playing 40k for a while now but I'm just getting into fantasy, I haven't bought any minis yet so feel free to tear this apart if I'm making any glaring errors and please add any tips that you think might help me.

3000 pts (2992, i'm not entirely certain we'll be using this point amount)

Vampire Lord (General) (Magic Level 2)
    -Carstein Ring

Its almost always better to take combinations of items, they allow more variety

Vampire Count (Magic Level 2)
    -Walking Death
    -Sword of Battle
    -Crown of the Damned

Vampires are generally better with mundane weapons, second hand weapon or great weapon. Its cheaper and deals death greatly. I suggest the crown on your general to keep him safe

thinking this count would be paired with:
    9 Grave Guard
    1 Crypt Keeper
    -Shield
    -Musician
    -Standard

They need a larger unit. 20 models, because they need the combat resolution of ranks and hopefully outnumbering

Vampire Thrall
    -Nightmare w/Barding
    -Heavy Armor
    -Sword of Unholy Power

mixed into:
    5 Black Knights
    1 Hell Knight
    -Standard
    -Musician
    -Barding

Lance would probably be better for the thrall, decent unit though

Vampire Thrall
    -Wolf Form
    -Sword of Striking

Flayed hauberk and great weapon instead of the sword and this guy rocks

mixed with:
    9 Dire Wolves
    1 Doom Wolf

Ditch the doom wolf, for the same points you get an extra wolf rather than just an extra attack

Necromancer (Magic Level 2)
    -Cloak of Mist and Shadow

He'd be better off with bound items, book of arkhan is great

5 Black Knights
    1 Hell Knight
    -Standard
    -Musician
    -Barding

One unit of these guys is probably enough, but if you want 2 its a good enough unit size and all

2 Groups:
    19 Skeleton Warrior
    1 Skeleton Captain
    -Light Armor
    -Spear
    -Musician
    -Standard

Ditch the spears, they won't kill anything anyway. Save points and have a better save in combat with hand weapon and shield so you last longer. If theres no character in here the unit champ is useless too, use them to block dangerous challenges

3 Spirit Hosts

1 Banshee

3 Bat Swarms

1 Black Coach

Al these are good

Again, thanks for looking over this list and feel free to point out newbie mistakes sine I haven't played FB before. Any suggestions on breaking down this list into a 2000pt or even a 1000pt army would also be appreciated.

In general, you probably want to be a bit more magic heavy. VC really do rely on a lot of magic to win. Hope that helps.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolf Pack, I come up with 2130 points for your list but it seems like an agreeable composition.

Stewart, so you would suggest the Crown on the General even though the ring has the same Ward save, minus the stupidity, PLUS Regeneration? It just makes it seem like he would be pretty hard to kill. I appreciate the other advice as I can see where you're coming from.

Thanks to both of you and any other advice that anyone comes up with would still be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind on that total, in the list you typed there is a duplicated Vampire Thrall thats hidden right by the Necro that I included but was probably just a duplicate. That fixed it.
    Last edited by thysalyx; November 29th, 2005 at 06:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Wolf Pack, I come up with 2130 points for your list but it seems like an agreeable composition.

Stewart, so you would suggest the Crown on the General even though the ring has the same Ward save, minus the stupidity, PLUS Regeneration? It just makes it seem like he would be pretty hard to kill. I appreciate the other advice as I can see where you're coming from.

Thanks to both of you and any other advice that anyone comes up with would still be appreciated.
    That's odd, I just built it with Amry builder!

The ring is very nice and in other armies I would kill to have somthing like that, but a Von Carstein vampire's goal is not to be indestructible, but to support is army. Most VC players will make sure thier vampires feed on easy pickings, or not see combat at all with other caracters. That's why you might want to take only a 5+ ward, but have a nice item like the cursed book, book of arkham or even the staff of torment.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Stewart, so you would suggest the Crown on the General even though the ring has the same Ward save, minus the stupidity, PLUS Regeneration?
    The difference is the crown leaves lots of points for other items/bloodline powers and the ring doesn't. As Wolf_pack said, you want your vampire to support your army not be indestructable. Though from personal experience they're pretty indestructable anyway, very little wants to get into a fight with them. My vampire lord has never died in a battle, nor has my count who goes without even a ward save. T5 and the ability to heal wounds is great.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I'd make some major changes if this were my list.

First, 10 grave guard is pointless. They'll be blasted to pieces by magic, war machines, archeres, whatever the enemy can throw at you. That unit in a list that size should be no less than 20. Remember, you can't resurrect GG.

You need no less than two necromancers. VC need two things to win: magic and character support. THe latter come in the form of necromancers for the magic phase and vampires for the combat phase.

Two infantry blocks of skeletons is not much for 3000 pts. I'd want a third, or at least a unit of zombies.

You could drop the batswarm to two bases and get the same effect of an unbreakable swarm unit to tangle up knights, skirmishers, or whatever else you need to get at.

Drop the doom wolf for another dire wolf. The extra model with another wound and an attack of its own will make more of a difference.

Drop the spears and go with hws on at least one unit of skeletons. They'll have more lasting power that way.

Your general might benefit from the extended march range bloodline power. In big games, your units can easily get outside his influence. With the extra wound for being a lord, he's pretty survivable and you could give him a 5+ ward save for much cheaper. You can always use IoN to power him back up, especially if you have enough necros to make it that much more likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mkay thanks . If anyone has any suggestions for a decent 1-1.5k list I would appreciate that as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Mkay thanks . If anyone has any suggestions for a decent 1-1.5k list I would appreciate that as well.
    You might start with searching some of the previously posted lists in the VC army list forum. There are lots of good ones there, with plenty of suggestions to boot. Go into your user CP and set it to display older posts as well as the newer ones to reveal a lot more.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; November 30th, 2005 at 00:42.

+ Reply to Thread