Vampire Counts: 1250pt Necrarch (friendly play) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampire Counts: 1250pt Necrarch (friendly play)

Fairly new player, have gotten a few games in, but none with this exact army list, so I dunno yet how successful this army would be. Obviously my intent is to be very magic heavy.

Characters
    Vampire Thrall - 125 pts
    -Necrarch: Nehekara's Noble Blood

Necromancer - 150 pts
    -Level 2 Wizard
    -Book of Arkhan
    -Dispel Scroll

Necromancer - 152 pts
    -Level 2 Wizard
    -Staff of Damnation
    -Mount: Barded

Core
    Skeletons (x20) - 220 pts
    -Light Armor
    -Champion
    -Standard Bearer

Skeletons (x20) - 200 pts
    -Spears
    -Champion
    -Standard Bearer

Special
    Black Knights (x5) - 202 pts
    -Champion
    -Standard Bearer
    -Magic Standard: Banner of the Barrows
    -Mounts: Barded

Rare
    Black Coach - 200 pts

Total: 1249 pts.

I also have an alternate army that is essentially identical to this army list, however, I replace the Black Coach with a Banshee. With the extra points, I take out the spears from the one regiment of skeletons, leaving it with just a Champion and a Standard Bearer, and I add in a 20 count Zombie regiment with a Standard Bearer.

Obviously, with my character choices, I am going for heavy magic and summoning. And I know that a lot of people have said using the Black Coach is not smart for a <2000 pts game, but I've actually had decent success when I've used it.

With this army, my plan is to pretty much surround their units through summoning, while my faster units (Knights and Coach) can get in and ambuse them from the flanks / rear.

Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts | Wood Elves | Chaos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I'd drop the coach. Way too expensive in a 1250 pt list. Add ghouls, wolves, or fell bats for added flexibility and tactical versatility.

A necrarch thrall?! They're widely seen as the least useful thrall out there. 45 pts for a level one magic user? No way. And as you can't equip them with armor or weapons, they simply aren't worth it. You're better off with a wight lord, which is cheaper to boot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said, I know most people will say to drop the coach in such a low points game, which is why I do have the alternate list with the Banshee and added regiment of Zombies.

However, the times I have used the Black Coach, it has come in very handy, and my armies have been more efficient with it around than without it.

As far as the Thrall vs. Wight Lord arguement, I like the Wight, I've used him as well, but again, haven't had enough success with it to warrant keeping him in. He might be 45 points for a Level 1 Wizard, yes, on paper, but the Thrall also provides combat ability that a 3rd Necro could not, and also has the +1 to the roll when casting, so I'll have a better chance at success. I've used the Wight Lord and the Necrarch Vampire Thrall both about twice each, and I felt like I was much closer to success in my battles in which I used the Thrall than when I used my Wight Lord.

Of course, a lot of this is also still experimenting. To be honest, I don't think that I've ever used the exact same army list twice thus far, because each time I play a game, I find something else that I wanna change in here or there or whatever. Dire Wolves are actually a unit I'm looking into buying, but currently my funds are pretty low, so I can't go out and buy any new units. What I have to choose from is 3 Skeleton regiments (2 of 20, 1 of 24), 1 Zombie regiment (20), Wraith, Wight Lord, 2 Necros (1 foot, 1 mounted), Necrarch Vampire, Black Coach, Banshee, and a unit of 5 Black Knights.

My next 2 units that I wanna get are some Dire Wolves and some Spirit Hosts.

And I'll keep the Wight Lord in mind. Perhaps I've just had a couple bad go's with him. I definatley don't plan to not use him again though. His lower point cost is definatley appealing. I'll see how my Vampire Thrall works out, and I'll also work on assembling some army lists that utilize the Wight Lord instead of the Thrall.

In fact, I know one opponent that I'll probably be playing regularly in the not too distant future where I'm probably not going to be as interested in dominating the magic phase as I am right now, and the added combat of the Wight Lord will be tons more useful than what a Level 1 Vampire Thrall could give me.

Back to the taking out the Black Coach issue though, what do you think about Banshee's in <2000 pt games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, thus far, I've used this exact army list twice, and my record is 1-1 with it.

The first time I used it, I totally dominated. I lost only some random summoned Zombies, and 2 Black Knights.

My opponent, playing Skaven, tried to be slick, and used his Assassin's scout ability to place him right behind a hill infront of my units. Well, I just had my Black Coach come around to the other side of the hill, Assassin failed the terror test, and ran right in front of my unit of Black Knights, which proceeded to chase the Assassin up another hill and take him out on the 2nd turn. From there it was all me. I ran most all of his units off the board with my fear and terror.

In my 2nd game with the same list, I was playing the same player, same race, and he slightly tweaked his army list a bit, to counter everything I had done against him the first time. He won, and on paper (victory point-wise) it looked like total domination on his end, but even on his own admition, he was starting to get a bit worried towards the end, because even without my general, who had been killed earlier in the game, I started making a comeback, killing off some of his units and thinning his #'s. Unfortunatley, he just took out way too much, and all I was left with was my Black Coach, with 1 wound remaining, that just absolutley refused to get hit. It survived 2 blasts from his Warpfire Thrower, tons of Jezzail shots, some Warpfire Lightnight spells, etc... and on the final turn, survived a shot with it's 5+ ward save.

The 2nd game I played, I definatley saw some weakness in it. A lot of it was also just horrible rolls. But I am looking at my list to try to tweak it to add in some Ghouls in place of the Black Coach.

In my limited experience though, I still don't see the problems with the Necrarch Vampire Thrall. I'm really liking the extra magic I get with him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Skaven are an ideal army for us to play when it comes to LD. But all that warpfire is a pain in the ethereal neck.

My main sticking point with the coach is what else could be done with teh same points. And would those same points get more "win-ability" into the list?

But the coach can be devastating and it's fun to play with. Not to mention, it usually scares the bejeezus out of opponents. "Is that the thing that gains wounds? And it does impact hits, right? Did you just say a ward save!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04
    Skaven are an ideal army for us to play when it comes to LD. But all that warpfire is a pain in the ethereal neck.

My main sticking point with the coach is what else could be done with teh same points. And would those same points get more "win-ability" into the list?

But the coach can be devastating and it's fun to play with. Not to mention, it usually scares the bejeezus out of opponents. "Is that the thing that gains wounds? And it does impact hits, right? Did you just say a ward save!"
    Oh no, I definatley understand that. It's definatley an "all eggs in one basket" type deal, and that's not always a good thing. I am trying to make an army list that will put other things in place of the Black Coach. Like I said, I do have a nearly identical army list that replaces the Black Coach with a Banshee and a regiment of Zombies. I'm also working on one that will give me a couple units of Ghouls, to see how those guys work out. I just need to actually buy some Ghouls before I get to using that army list.

I'm just really trying to figure out if the Banshee is worth it at all. I mean, the ability of her's is totally awesome. But I've never really been able to cause much devistation with it yet. I've used her about twice, and gotten to use her ability twice. On the boards I've played on, there hasn't been a place for me to hide her while she does her Ghostly Howl, and with her short 8" range on the Howl, usually putting her into position to use it puts her in prime position to get charged and put into close combat, which combat resolution will usually kill her in the first turn, and that's w/o magical weapons.

Maybe I should use her, just to practice, and see if I just need to work on utilizing her better.

And
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I'm just really trying to figure out if the Banshee is worth it at all. I mean, the ability of her's is totally awesome. But I've never really been able to cause much devistation with it yet. I've used her about twice, and gotten to use her ability twice. On the boards I've played on, there hasn't been a place for me to hide her while she does her Ghostly Howl, and with her short 8" range on the Howl, usually putting her into position to use it puts her in prime position to get charged and put into close combat, which combat resolution will usually kill her in the first turn, and that's w/o magical weapons.
    yeah, the banshee is a tough one to play and might be a total loss of points, but i use her whenever i can, because i LOVE the models, their abilities and fluff.

when you for the first time roll a 9, a 11 in total for the ghostly howl, thereby killing 5 high elf spearmen or the like, i promise you, that she will be well payed with respect, all my opponents: bretonnia, dark elves, empire, high elves, wood elves, lizardmen fear her so much that taking her will eventually change the flow of battle.

i use the banshee as often as possible and i've even made a "familiar base" for her. a big stick with seals and medals, for each time i roll 11+ :yes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Hell, I even just copied the name from And - so it's all his fault! :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by And
    i use the banshee as often as possible and i've even made a "familiar base" for her. a big stick with seals and medals, for each time i roll 11+ :yes:
    lol, sweet

Well the couple times I've used her, I have had success with it.

Like I said, I've used her twice.

The first time, I used her Ethereal ability to move through a wall that put her into a building (glued on the board, made from painted styrophome), unfortunatley with an entire wall missing, leaving a huge open gap. I used her Ghostly Howl on my friend's Skaven Assassin, and killed it off, but the next turn she got charged by a skirmisher unit he had right there, and she got killed off.

2nd time I used her, again same friend using Skaven, I had to push her in front of all of my units to get her into position, and I used it on his Warpfire Thrower or whatever that dude is. I rolled a pretty good roll and dealt like 3 wounds to it, killing it.

My friend's reaction was great. He was just like "So it's dead, just like that?" and I'm like "Yup! "

But again, getting her into position to use it left her in position to get charged and demolished.

But all this talk of the Banshee is making me wanna use her again. I love the ability, I just need to find a better way to utilize it, to let her get her ability off, but keep her alive to do it again. Because I know I could potentially cause some devistation with it.

And
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Because I know I could potentially cause some devistation with it.
    you always can

the few times i used her with GREAT effect my friends went: how does that work? did you just say 2D6?
    and i go like: indeed:shifty: - just looking forward to tell them about the +2 to the roll
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Hell, I even just copied the name from And - so it's all his fault! :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Banshees can be great. They can also go a whole game without having any effect, which has happened to me, too. But it sure is great wen she's rolling well and you start picking knights off the table.

+ Reply to Thread