1500pts Strigoi for friendly -- comments? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    London, England, UK, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pts Strigoi for friendly -- comments?

General:
    L2 Necromancer, Nightmare w/ barding, Book of Arkhan, Dispel Scroll

Heroes:
    L2 Necromancer, Nightmare w/ barding, Rod of Flaming Death
    Strigoi Thrall, Bat Form

Troops:
    20 Ghouls
    20 Ghouls
    15 Skeletons, light armour, musician, std. bearer
    16 Skeletons, light armour, musician, std. bearer
    10 Dire Wolves
    10 Dire Wolves
    5 Fell Bats
    Banshee

1499pts

Theme: Fast, manoeuvrable army that hits in two waves.

EDIT: The following is illegal, thanks skilett!

The thrall hides in one pack of ghouls; the general rides behind or near them and uses the Book to give them extra marching or charging distance, backed up with the wolves and bats as outriders/flankers. The bat wings let the thrall do surprise charges out of the unit into e.g. artillery (I'm fighting empire). If he wins a combat in one turn the general might even be able to spirit him back to his unit with the Book.

The second wave consists of the skeletons and the other ghouls. Hopefully the skeletons' numbers will have swelled a bit by the time they reach combat. The banshee is for tactically out-manoeuvring and generally irritating small units on the other side.

How does that sound? Never played VCs before (I used to play Undead back in, like, 2nd or 3rd edition...). BTW we are still using the 6th Ed. rules because, well, we're lazy and cheap.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Last edited by operon; November 10th, 2006 at 10:32.
    "Cheese is anything that your army can do that mine can't.

Or else anything that kills my Marines really well.

Sad fact of life." - Skyth on WarSeer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, the ghouls can't be joined by characters, although I think it would be fluffy if Strigoi could. So keep your thrall in skeletons until you charge out. Another option could be to put him with the wolves, but it ruins the nice 20-inch-charge surprise. :ninja:

As for the wolves, i regularly take 20 of those guys, but always in 3 or 4 groups, meaning units of 5-7. They aren't real killers, but superb for supporting charges. If you do put your thrall with wolves I would say maybe a unit of 10, to outnumber, but otherwise I would keep them smaller. That also gives you a few small throwaway units to annoy and distract your enemy's big units, without losing more than 50 points. I've kept a unit of 10 chaos knights pretty much out of a game, by placing 2 5-wolf units in their path, forcing him to charge and be turned away from battle by the wolves angle, or go around, and face the same problem again next turn.

Also, against Empire, be careful keeping your necro's out of units, as artillery can pick them out even without line of sight, he just has to shoot at whatever is in front of your necro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skilett View Post
    Firstly, the ghouls can't be joined by characters, although I think it would be fluffy if Strigoi could. So keep your thrall in skeletons until you charge out. Another option could be to put him with the wolves, but it ruins the nice 20-inch-charge surprise. :ninja:
    Whoops, thanks. Could do the skeleton thing instead then, and it would make my skelly units equal sizes (they're 15 & 16 simply due to points saving).

As for the wolves, i regularly take 20 of those guys, but always in 3 or 4 groups, meaning units of 5-7. They aren't real killers, but superb for supporting charges. If you do put your thrall with wolves I would say maybe a unit of 10, to outnumber, but otherwise I would keep them smaller. That also gives you a few small throwaway units to annoy and distract your enemy's big units, without losing more than 50 points. I've kept a unit of 10 chaos knights pretty much out of a game, by placing 2 5-wolf units in their path, forcing him to charge and be turned away from battle by the wolves angle, or go around, and face the same problem again next turn.
    I'll think about splitting them then.

Also, against Empire, be careful keeping your necro's out of units, as artillery can pick them out even without line of sight, he just has to shoot at whatever is in front of your necro.
    Hmm, good point. Where would you put them?

Thanks for the tips.

Andrew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually put my necro's in a small unit of zombies behind my main line, bought for that purpose. But in this case I would just put them in with the skeletons until right before they get into combat. By that time it should be possible to position them so they can't get shot, especially with the thrall (hopefully) flying around taking out artillery. Of course be careful about the skeletons getting charged befor the necro's get a chance to get out of the way.
    Another option could be to hide them in or behind terrain, but that's dependant on terrain placement, and could leave them too far away from the battle.
    EDIT: Oops, also, hiding them would render your Rod of Flaming Death completely useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another option could be to hide them in or behind terrain, but that's dependant on terrain placement, and could leave them too far away from the battle.
    EDIT: Oops, also, hiding them would render your Rod of Flaming Death completely useless.
    Yep, and I don't want the general to get too far from the troops. Is it legal for a mounted character to join an infantry unit? Thus keeping their fast movement for when they want to get away from the combat later. Or should I ditch the horses and get more skeletons instead?

EDIT: Should have checked -- I could keep them mounted but lose the Look Out! save. Will put them on foot then.

Andrew.
    Last edited by operon; November 10th, 2006 at 11:24.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I have a couple of quick suggestions:

1) Give your general the cloak of mists and shadows. It will protect him against most attacks, and allow him to be at the front of a unit on foot.
    2) I would recommend giving your Thrall Infinite Hatred and Iron Sinews. That at the front of a unit of skeletons or Zombies gives you a firm killing base.
    3) I agree about splitting the dire wolves and ghouls. Ghouls in units of 10 and dire wolves in groups of 5 or 6.
    4) Get rid of the rod of flaming death for the book of arkhan and dispel scroll.

Apart from that it looks good :ninja:
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gingerninja,

The Cloak is very tempting -- just as long as I avoid challenges from tooled-up heroes. I do like the idea of the fly-out thrall for going after his hellcannon crew and similar annoyances, unless maybe the five fell bats will cover that? Hmmm.

Andrew.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

At 1500pts he can't field a Hellcannon. It requires 2 rare choices. Fell bats should be able to deal with any threats war machine crew pose.

:ninja:
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet! That's good to know.

Andrew.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

In 6th ed, characters on mounts could be picked out from infantry units, but that's changed with 7th ed. So adding a barded nightmare gives your necro an armor save, something rare for them. My mounted necro model will see a lot more use nowadays.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast