2k Carsteins Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2k Carsteins Tournament

Edit: Some point totals removed. ~DavidVC04

Vampire count lv2 - carstein ring, nightmare, great weapon
    (358 )

Wight lord - sword of kings, hvy armour, enchanted shield
    (99)

Necromancer lv2 - 2x dispel scroll, nightmare, barding
    (162)

Necromancer lv 2- power familiar
    (150)

20 Skellys - full command, spears
    (205)

20 zombies

11 black knights - full command, barding
    (315)

(315)

3 fell bats

3 fell bats

Banshee
    _____
    Total

Lots of strong knights and enough magic to raise them skellys. Do ya think it'd work? I've a carstein vamp cos I wanted a list with the ring in, you recon it's worth the points?

Please rip the list to bits! I doubt it'd compete at a tourny level, but I'd like it ripped up asif I was going to try

Stee

Last edited by DavidWC09; December 10th, 2006 at 07:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Vampire count lv2 - carstein ring, nightmare, great weapon
    Necromancer lv2 - 2x dispel scroll, nightmare, barding
    Necromancer lv 2- power familiar

20 Skellys - full command, spears
    20 zombies

3 fell bats
    3 fell bats

Banshee

Lots of strong knights and enough magic to raise them skellys. Do ya think it'd work? I've a carstein vamp cos I wanted a list with the ring in, you recon it's worth the points?

Please rip the list to bits! I doubt it'd compete at a tourny level, but I'd like it ripped up asif I was going to try

Stee
    First off, welcome to LO, Steve.

As for the ring, I think it's worth it if keeping your general alive is your main concern, and there's no doubt that keeping the bossman around for the duration of the battle is of the utmost importance to a VC general. Even so, there are other ways to keep him alive and with his high toughness he's hard too wound as it is.

If you really want the ring, then you should give him a great weapon, unless he's mounted, in which case he needs a lance.

It's not that the item is over-priced. It's that the points could be better spent. You've already got the Invocation of Nehek to restore your general's lost wounds, assuming he doesn't die in a single round of combat. To prevent dying in one round of fighting and to ensure a chance at IoN if you need it, give him the ring of the night.

With the points that remain you can take Aura of Dark Majesty, a fantastic bloodline power that extends the general's march range, and you'll need that extra marching ability if you're using knights, as they'll move far beyond the general's influence quickly if you're not careful.

Then you have some points left to play with, maybe for a good weapon or arcane item.

The wight lord and necros are dead-on IMO.

I'd drop the spears and just go with light armor, shields, and a hand weapon. Over time, I've come to find the armor save more useful.

I'd increase the starting size of the zombies to at least 25 if not 30. Killing zombies is like popping bubble wrap. The more you start with, the less you have to worry about using IoN on them when you'd rather use it to start a new unit or heal a character.

Myself, I like a third infantry unit, if nothing else because characters need somewhere to go. I try to spread out my magic users so that the enemy can't negate my magic phase by concentrating on one or two units where all my casters are housed.

The knight units are really big and really ominous, but I think you should drop the size of them. I take six or seven so that I can lose a couple before they get into combat. I like the war banner on my BKs, too. It's a no-nonsense way to get combat res.

The fell bats are great. Some people like two units of three, but I'm of the camp that one unit of four can do the trick just as well. It's really personal preference and how much value you think you want from flying units. Two units will be great when you face war machines and troops that need marchblocking.

Banshees are a lot of fun, though you'll find them nigh-useless against certain troops: high leadership, ItP, and so on.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, not sure if my count not having a great weapon was a typo or an oversight. By making those changes to my list I've got 331 points to spend. That's more than enough for 20 grave guard with command and a war banner on a unit of knights. That sounds like a pretty safe bet to me. Any thoughts? I see grave guard and I naturally want to squeese a banner of barrows in somehow.

Stee

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

GG are a good edition, and the banner of the barrows is as good as the warbanner, potentially better, for generating combat res (unless the dice really conk out).
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    GG are a good edition, and the banner of the barrows is as good as the warbanner, potentially better, for generating combat res (unless the dice really conk out).
    The Banner of the barrows works well with knights, or grave guard with halberds. In my experience, I have been very aggressive with halberds, and they've usually done very well. The higher strength combined with the banner gives out a good pay off on the charge, and a very casted hellish vigor on the next turn makes them a threat for everyone.

The power familiar is nice, but I'd rather a book of arkhan or the staff of damnation formost. Especially if you field a grave guard, you'll like to always have at least an hellsih vigor somewhere.

Lastly, you only have 2 core units, 3 is the minimum at 2000 pts. So wolves would see to that, at minimal cost.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humm, that's a bit odd - I've got wolves in my army builder list. Either I forgot them or they accidently got edited out when I messed up on including their points costs. Second go as is follows

Vampire count lv2 - nightmare, great weapon, aura of dark majesty, ring of the night
    (313)

(99)

Necromancer lv2 - 2x dispel scroll, nightmare
    (15

Necromancer lv 2- staff of damnation
    (140)

6 Dire wolves

20 Skellys - full command, light armour, shields
    (225)

30 zombies

20 Grave guard - full command, shields
    (290)

7 black knights - full command, barding, war banner
    (240)

7 black knights - full command, barding
    (215)

4 fell bats

That's 2k exactly. Yet to playtest it, but it seems quite nice so far

Stee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

thats a good list youve got there.

look, IMO, great weapons suck now for anything mounted (only +1 strength, strikes last in the revision unless on foot). for that reason, give your general a lance. s7 on the charge is brutal, and you can pop chariots in one go for some easy VPs (not sure how a lance would do it tho in real life....funny eh?)

Also, you should know that those knights are gonna be in 1 row of 8 (including 1 character) since you need 5 for a rank. Should work, but 2 units about 12inches wide is long.

youll have no problem with this list, once you get used to it

tim
    Last edited by timk1111; December 30th, 2006 at 23:55.

+ Reply to Thread