3 spirit host

24 grave gard w/ shields
musician
standerd bearar
crypt keeper
banner of the barrows

black coach

total 2246

this is intended to be for a tornament. but this like all my lists is fluff driven, i am open to sugestion to make it more competive

edit: thinking of swaping the 8 dire wolves for 4 fell bats

See less See more
#2 ·
My only issue with the list is the winged nightmare. A master necro is soft and squishy no matter what he's riding. If I were up against that list, I'd go for him with all I had, even if it meant sacrificing my own hero or units. Plus, you need him near your ranked units to help them march. And why put him up on a large target where every spell or gun can shoot at him?

Otherwise, I think it's a solid list.

#3 ·
now that you say it it makes sence, i was thinking teror would keep him safe. though i think that ould be a stupid thing to rely on. so my modified list

master necro
4th levle
staff of damnation
cloak of mist and shadow

wraith
nightmare
rod of flaming death

necro
2nd levle
black periapt
nightmare

necro
2nd levle
nightmare

20 skeletons w/ spears
musician
standerd

20 skeletons w/ spears
musician
standerd

20 zombies
musician
standerd

7 fell bats

3 spirit host

25 grave gard w/ shields
musician
standerd bearar
crypt keeper
banner of the barrows

banshee

black coach

it is very much the same, but a new unit of zombies and a reduced body count of skeletons. plus a banshee whom i think is a neet unit if not an efective one.

#5 ·
the grave grard... the unit i have 6 wide comand and banner of the barrows is a very powerfule close combat unit, while meat grinder would fit better than hammer. granted its speed is lack luster but it is not intended for that puropse.

the hammer most commonly used to refer to a unit of knights that smash a flank adding to combat res thrugh kills intending to break in one turn. undead do not require this sort of stratigy, the hammer concept is very usefule for empire, both types of elves, lizerdmen (some what), and orcs. due to the potential of losing in a unit vs unit combat. granted undead crumble but thay never flee.

#6 ·
The cloak of mist and shadows and the obsidian amulet make for a very durable necromancer.

As to the hammer notion:

One thing vampire armies can benefit from can be either a hammer unit or character. I don't think it's necessary, but it certainly can help troops with really poor WS, like undead. A wight lord would do more for your army than a wraith in my opinion. The sword of kings can rack up kills when paired with the banner of the barrows.

#7 · (Edited)
ok major modified list

master necro
4th levle
staff of damnation
cloak of mist and shadow

wraith
nightmare
rod of flaming death

necro
2nd levle
black periapt
nightmare

necro
2nd levle
nightmare

36 zombies
musician
standerd

35 zombies
musician
standerd

35 zombies
musician
standerd

7 dire wolves

7 dire wolves

4 fell bats

4 fell bats

4 fell bats

5 spirit host

banshee

banshee

after playing a few games with the old list and changing it every time i final came up with this, it doesn't really look like much but their is a major Gestalt factor at work.

with all the fell bats i can march block and shut down shooting really fast, the zombie blocks are like huge rocks that never budge, the wraith is so good with his rod of death more often than not my mvp just due to the fact that he can screw with battle formations so well allowing flank charges up the wazou, dire wolves do a good job if i get the timing right, spirit host best screen ever and once shooting is gone amazing at tying up the heavy hitters. one banshee is nice but two working in tandem is grate, much better than the black coach, my magic is better than most but not as good as some.

i have my work cut out for me when i come up agenst a horde of dwarves, some slanesh, the shooty skaven, and other undead. but other than that i fare very well.

what do you think. this is for a tournament in september, i don't plan to win, but i do plan on doing well.

if you have a criticism please explain your self as i very well may change this for a play test.

edit: i should note that more often than not i hang back with the blocks and wolves, beffing up the units. while the bats fly and perch behind cover till charge, banshee do the same without charg. of corse tactics change with each new oponit, but generly thats how it works.

#8 ·
i would be tempted to just drop the wraith or killy char altogethor and take another level 2 necro on foot, so you domintae the magic phase. You dont need a hammer or anything of the like to win with undead, you need numbers. Good luck, DE.

#9 ·
master necro
4th level
staff of damnation
cloak of mist and shadow

wraith
nightmare
rod of flaming death

necro
2nd level
black parapet
nightmare
barding

necro
2nd level
book of arkhan
nightmare
barding

30 zombies
musician
standard

29 zombies
musician
standard

29 zombies
musician
standard

7 dire wolves

7 dire wolves

5 fell bats

5 fell bats

5 spirit host

banshee

dogs of war giant

the list was feeling week and on a whim i added the giant, it worked. more terror and now things like steam tanks and lords on monstrous mounts are not as big a threat. i plan to module it to look like a huge walking pile of corpses, like the idea of a thing that gathers up the dead from fields of battle for latter use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.