Questions from a New Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions from a New Player

I am new to VC and have only played Warhammer for about 1/2 a year as Lizardmen. I will have the VC Codex very soon and I have some questioins about VC.
    1. How and in what point battle do you use Spirit Hosts? (I'm asking this question because I love the models and the fact that they are Ethreal):yes:
    2. For my army I would like to raise a lot of Zombies and some Skeletons while using fast units to bide time and weaken the foe, what Bloodline/Back of Book Army do you reccomend to fit my playing style?

The Rep Thumb is to the left of my post, in case you didn't see it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for question 1;

i usually use them as a missile screen for my core units or my main blocks of troops as they can't be hurt by non magic missiles.

You can have a necromancer near the main block of troops (grave guard for example) so you would move the G/guard up behind the spirits, then let the spirits move aside at the last moment or when you are near the enemy. Since you moved normally, you can't charge (you should know that lol) so that's where your necromancer comes in. If you are lucky enough to get dance macabre (a movement spell) you can move the G/guard into combat! or even more sneaky, you can buy the necromancer the book of arkhan (a book that lets you cast the movement spell as a bound spell - so your ok if you didn't roll the spell!)
    Xbox Live gamertag: baby pigeon , if you want to add me and have a game of gears or something, send me a friend request and put librarium online in the message.
    You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules. You are not your post count. You are not you rep. You are not your title

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

1. I use spirit hosts at 1000 pt up. At 1500 up, I use three bases, never less. They're one of the best units, bar none, for VC IMO.

2. The trick is to bog the enemy down with your skeletons and zombies and then smack them in the side or rear, taking advantage of numbers and fear. Always start with some units of zombies/skeletons on the table, always.

Back of the book armies aren't "legal" and require opponent permission to field. Some people may not care, but then again, who really wants to face a fear-causing, unbreakable Bretonian like army that has killing blow?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

1 - 1000points or over, but then I don't play many less than 1,000 so they might be effective in small games.

2 - Nechrach or an all Necromancer list. Or take all but 1 of your characters as necromancers necromancers and just pick a really good fighting bloodline for the one vampire you have.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3. Should I use 1 Necromancer on a Nightmare and leave it out of a regiment or should it be in one (is it legal to be in an infantry reiment?)? Another is in the infantry regiment, on foot. --- FOR 500 POINTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

In the last edition of the rulebook, it was a disadvantage to put a character on a nightmare and then to include that character in a unit of foot troops because the mounted character could be singled out.

But in the newest edition, it's different. The character on a mount can no longer be singled out of an infantry unit, so yes, it's a good way to get an armor save on a necromancer, as well as one more attack. With barding on the mount, a necro has a 5+ armor save, something you couldn't accomplish in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    In the last edition of the rulebook, it was a disadvantage to put a character on a nightmare and then to include that character in a unit of foot troops because the mounted character could be singled out.

But in the newest edition, it's different. The character on a mount can no longer be singled out of an infantry unit, so yes, it's a good way to get an armor save on a necromancer, as well as one more attack. With barding on the mount, a necro has a 5+ armor save, something you couldn't accomplish in the past.
    He doesn't get 'look out sir' when he's mounted though does he? Which means you have to look out for sniper cannons.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4. What units support a raising army well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 500 points that is... I was thinking Dire Wolves and Gh ouls. Have 318 points left in list. 10 Dire Wolves and 9 Ghouls? P.S. I only want two new regiments because of the $ involved.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

My 500 pt list has two lvl 1 necromancers, some zombies, and then lots of dire wolves. I find dire wolves in numbers hard for people to deal with in small pt level games.

If you're looking to have units that will eventually be part of a larger force, then ghouls are great, too. They're not the most cost affordable, though, being metal and sold in blisters.

The cheapest way to get dire wolves is to either buy a box of goblin riders or bitz order the wolves by themselves.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast