A couple character questions from a rookie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple character questions from a rookie

I've been reading the tactics articles and going through the army lists to help me, but I'm confused about a couple things. I hope someone can steer me in the right direction, I'm trying to draft my first army list.

1. Necromancers:
    -Where do you put them? Do you keep them alone and sneak them around your units, or do you put them in a unit. If you like to put them in a unit, which units are best and how do you protect them?
    -I plan on taking two Necromancers for everything on up to 2000 points. One I intend to give the Staff of Damnation, as I have heard nothing but glowing reviews of the item. The other I'm not sure. I hear alot about 'scroll caddies,' and have considered that option. I also consider the Book of Arkhan and a dispel scroll. I just don't have the experience to know how much dispelling power I'm going to need, and I don't know prevailing opinion on the book.

2. Standard Bearers:
    -Do you find an army battle standard bearer necessary, or even useful? If so, is it always recommended to give a magic standard? I had thought of perhaps giving the bearer the flayed hauberk if on foot to provide some defense (since he can't have a shield). Or do you think it's more valuable to just kit out a Vampire Thrall or Wight Lord for combat and leave the standard bearer at home?

3. Magic Weapons:
    -Sword of Unholy Power: Do you like this thing? I'm going with either Von Carsteins or Blood Dragons for my first army. I assume in the hands of a count it can rack up some dice, but do you find it worthwhile or would you rather go with a more direct weapon? Also, I'm slightly confused about the way it works. If I charge in and kill some things on my own turn, I only get those wounds as dispel dice in my opponent's following magic phase? Conversely, if I kill those models during my opponent's attack, I only gain those wounds as power dice in my next magic phase? Like I said, I'm very new and could have all this wrong
    -Tomb Blade: I saw a blurb about this as being akin to a free invocation. My intent would be to stick a vampire thrall or count with this in a unit of armored skeletons (to get the most benefit). If I'm targeting 1 wound infantry specifically, will this weapon be worthwhile, fall short, or be superfluous given that I'll have the two necromancers and a count casting spells?

I appreciate any help, I know that's alot of stuff to read through

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

1. Against an army with no scouts or magic that can reach a necro, you can leave them roaming free behind the lines, but it's still risky. A lot of players use a zombie bunker: 10 or so zombies behind the main lines where one or even two necros hide out. The prevailing opinion on the Book of Arkhan is that it's indispensable, and I agree.

2. Most players don't use a BSB. I rarely do, but someone has recently noted on here that a BSB near the Black Coach or a Banshee can mean a lot. It'd also help a lot for Grave Guard and Black Knights. Still, most people would rather use the hero slot for a hard-hitting thrall.

3. Not many people like the Sword of Unholy Power, and again I agree. I think you can get better return off some more basic magic weapon, like the Sword of Battle or Striking. My games with the Tomb Blade haven't proven it worthwhile to me. Again, I'd skip it for something more.

What bloodline are you thinking?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the information

Right now I'm thinking either Blood Dragon or Von Carstein. I'd like to do them all eventually, but these two seem to fit my style better for the moment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

The big advantage to Blood Dragon's, obviously, is having armor on a wizard. Still, you can take a nice ward save on a Von Carstein and get some better bloodline powers in my opinion. Like the Aura of Dark Majesty and Walking Death. Von Carsteins are still deadly.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

You need to have both the book of arkhan and the staff of damnation, they are both amazing magic items. I prefer Blood Dragons to Van Carstiens for combat power and casting in armor. The only time a Carstien is worth it is when you have a big list over 2000 points so the can use their 18" leadership range to its full effect.

Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Wight lord BSB can be useful to put with either Grave Guard or Black Knights as you can the put two Magic standards in one unit. Give the Wight Lord the 'Bannner of the Barrows' and give the unit the 'Banner of Doom' to protect against shooting. Also a BSB is the only way to take the 'Hell Banner' which is quite cool when you have many other terror causing units.

+ Reply to Thread