A couple very silly questions: - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

A couple very silly questions:

I'm new to WFB (quite a bit of experience with 40k, though) and Vampire Counts, having just played my first game yesterday. I have a couple questions:

What is a "bound spell"?

My friend mentioned something along the lines of a rule that prohibits things like Necromancers from summoning things worth more points than the original points limit of an army... for instance, summoning 20 zombies when none of the original ones have died would be illegal. Is this true?

Also, generally, would having a Master Necromancer and 2-3 Necromancer heroes in a 1700-2000pt game be considered overkill? What about adding a zombie giant as a Dogs of War choice? I kind of want to do that.

Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

My friend mentioned something along the lines of a rule that prohibits things like Necromancers from summoning things worth more points than the original points limit of an army... for instance, summoning 20 zombies when none of the original ones have died would be illegal. Is this true?
    Never seen nor heard of it, and nothing in the FAQ either.

Also, generally, would having a Master Necromancer and 2-3 Necromancer heroes in a 1700-2000pt game be considered overkill? What about adding a zombie giant as a Dogs of War choice? I kind of want to do that.
    Underkill, you'd generally want at least one hard hitting character in the army, generally a vampire to dish out the pain that our normal units cannot.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by The Salmon Thief View Post
    I'm new to WFB (quite a bit of experience with 40k, though) and Vampire Counts, having just played my first game yesterday. I have a couple questions:

What is a "bound spell"?
    A bound spell is a magic item that automatically casts a spell at a certain power level. Check out the Book of Arkhan and the Staff of Damnation in the VC magic items for examples. It can be also be dispelled just like a normal spell, your opponent just needs to roll better than the power level with his dispel dice

This is the difference between VC and Tomb Kings. In a Tomb King list this is correct, however VC necromancers can summon as much as they want, which means they can increase unit sizes past what they started at, and they can start new units (providing they summon at least 5 models to start the new unit). They actually mention both of these instances specifically in the Invocation of Nehek spell.

Well you cant have a Master Necromancer in anything under 2k since it is a lord. Magic heavy lists such as the one you suggest have pro's and con's. On the one hand you dominate the magic phase and can summon TONS of zombies and skeletons. On the other you miss out on a Vampire, which is awesome in CC and can still cast spells. As for the Giant, from what I can tell they make good additions to a VC list.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all necro isnt overkill, ur just missing out on a tough-ass vampire... just dont do sumthing obnoxious like 200+ zombies w/ 4 necro mancers... i thnk zombie giant would be a kewl idea, it sounds interesting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

just some advice get a necrarch vampire count he is a level 3 wizard if you give the right upgrades and stick with your 3 necromansers you need at lest 2000 points and you lose 1 level of magic from not having a master necromancer but you get a vampire

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Necromancer heavy lists are for core heavy lists. Loads of Zombies and Skeletons that you can res like no tomorrow. It makes for a boring game. The typical tactic I've seen is to use two nercros to revitalize units, and two necros to raise units. You're looking at adding another 500pts by the time you hit their lines. And once you're there, you are winning not be actual kills, but by causing fear and outnumbering them (immediate break check)

On the other hand, a vampire is awesome in armies that go for variation. When you've only got 2 or 3 units that benefit from resurections, there's no point having so many necros. The rest of the army is probably filled with Wights and so forth.
    Necrach vampires are NOT good. VonCarstiens are better. Necrarchs are not as good as a necromancer, and are barely even Vampires. It's best to just take a necromancer or a vampire, since the necrach tries to be both and fails at both equally.

A giant is a good add for any army, lots of extra hitting power. VC and TK would definently benefit from him, since he's going to attract alot of fire that would be better allocated against the shambling hordes coming to eat your face off.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Hmm, I see.

Another question: in the army book it says Invocation of Nehek may only be used once per turn, but people seem to be suggesting that I can have multiple Necromancers use it in one turn for super revitalizing and raising powers... what's the reality?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Each necromancer can only use it once per turn. But if you have 4 necromancers that all know the spell then they can all cast it once per turn.

I also beg to differ on all necro armies being core heavy to start out with. I have seen a couple lists that had lots of stuff like black knights and graveguard and all that stuff. Then they had several minimal squads of skellies/zombies. Then as the army moves towards the enemy the necros mass IoN the zombie/skellie units into big blocks. Then once the big blocks get stuck in the necros start summoning units behind the enemy battle line for rear charges.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I would go for a Necrach Count and 3 Necromancers. The Bloodline powers I think make up for his slight lack power dice.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there!

Like Demandred mentioned, you can't cast the same spell twice with the same mage, even if it fails. But you can cast the same spell more than once if, and only if, you have at least one other mage with the same spell.

As for the "heavy core"-lists, I'm not a big fan of them. I like to use units like Grave Guard, Black Knights, Spirit Hosts and the like. Since taking 2-3 Necros in addition to the Vampire, like I do, I have lots of Invocations to use on raising more models to existing Zombie and Skeleton regiments or completely new regiments.

And I don't suggest using a Necro as a general if you can avoid it. They die way too easily, and when the general is gone... Well, give it a couple of turns and you don't have a lot on the table

- Loran

+ Reply to Thread