A New Challenger Approaches! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A New Challenger Approaches!

So I've been trying to get back in to fantasy for some time now (used to play BoC) and for awhile it looked like high elves were it for me. ive started collecting some but unfortunately it seems their models arent nearly as cool as their fluff. The cost of all the special units is also kind of infuriating. SO im abandoning the whole high elf thing.

The new VC models have definately caught my eye, and ive been reading some of the fluff for them. I've never played against em, or seen someone play them or anything though. So I would like to know what are they like in terms of functionality and play style?

Music must give birth to orgasm and revolution
    Latest LO Blog Post
    <+Tarnag> Who could help but love a name like Ultramoose, I think of a Moose with a rocket strapped to it breathing fire and wailing on a guitar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well with the new rules all is just speculation, but with the old rules they are the most predictable force in the game. in that you could figure out the sway of the individual unit combats pretty consistently. their magic is support based, and the core units rocked. the main problem was the lack of armour busters other than lords and heroes.

the new list looks very good, with magic being downgraded just a bit, and the inclusion of some new can openers that you need to pay out the nose for (cash and points). but over all i think they made the force more unique in play style rather than just a power flux. personal opinion of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Well, Vampires are one of the most competative armies out their in my humble opinion. As for playstyle, usually you can do two things.

The Anvil of Doom *copyright Dwarf*

This is a mostly infantry list, consisting of about four blocks of undead infantry. These house your vampires, and they make a solid anvil, which, backed with magic an usually take any charge. Then they hit back. Hard (vampires). However to help the anvil win combats, a solid magic phase, flankers (Black Knights and Dire Wolves) are necessary. These usually lurk about then charge units in the side, after the infantry take the charge.

The Hammer of Death

This is a vampire list that focuses on hammering the enemy to the dust. Units such as wights, black knights, blood knights, vampires, and the odd black coach usually feature regularly in this kind of list. They run to the enemy, and dont leave anything standing.

Those are my two personal favourite playstyles, but there are many more. That wasnt very detailed, but its the jist of it
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting.

What kind of support is their magic? buff? debuff?
    Latest LO Blog Post
    <+Tarnag> Who could help but love a name like Ultramoose, I think of a Moose with a rocket strapped to it breathing fire and wailing on a guitar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultramoose View Post
    interesting.

Well, you could say aggressive for everything barring raising. As it makes the undead faster/more hitty etc. And the damage spells are nice. But support most likely. They have a good mix the undead, one of the best lores
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the current magic: has one spell that adds models to existing units, summons new units or heals multi wound models, it has three forms that improve in power along with the casting values. a move spell, and a strike first and re-role to hit. then on the offense their is a good magic missile, a very iffy close combat spell, and an offensive remains in play that can really grind a whole unit to dust... if you get it to go off and the other player doesn't dispel. all in all the offensive spells are harder to cast and lack luster compared to the support.

in the new rules things get spun around and shaken up, but the feel is largely the same. the lore is now the lore of the vampires and it contains a sub category of spells called necromancy, necromancy contains the support based spells, and apparently spells of this type can be cast multiple times by the same mage. other than that the end result of the spells are largely the same, lots of tweaks and prods, for example the summon is split into two spells a heal current unit and raise new unit spell.

for more in depth info check out the rumor section, some very good threads on the new book.

and bound spells, the current magic is greatly boosted by bound spells, and that aspect seams only to get stronger in the new book.

so in short the magic is not only support (my other post was misleading) but that witch is, is buff like.
    Last edited by murphy; February 21st, 2008 at 21:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampire Counts are playstyle about psychological warfare. Your focus is on fear, panic tests and routing the enemy automatically. Likewise, you are about immovable and unbreakable units but of relatively weak and poor fighters. This is an army tailored to support strong characters.

By contrast, take HE which are an army of magic flexibility and elite infantry that strikes first. They can't absorb damage. Lizardmen play like a roman army marching forwards with great skirmishing harrassers and the ability to dominate the magic phase. But at the cost of not having artillery, much troop selection or extremely fast movement (flyers, fast cavalry or knights). Brettonians apeeal to chivalry and the glorious charge of knights but then lack great magic, war machines or infantry. And the Empire is about versatility and having every option available but little superlative. They are the most coordinated attack army (even the detachment system begs for coordination).

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

so far, the magic lore has increased in utility. To me it has been upgraded, not downgraded. The fact that any vampire can be made into a magic user is also a plus. I think the new VC magic will be one of the best in the game. They have tons of bound spells, the corpse carts work to help defense, the spells got easier to cast and can be cast more often, so they are bound to make more of an impact in my opinion.

Skellies and dire wolves got cheaper, there are some new, flashy units, but I think skeletons and black knights are the way to go. Fell bats are still good. Spirit hosts are still useful, and the vampires are really good and can be customized however you want. This will be one of the strongest books in the new edition, just like the VC were strong in the last edition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultramoose View Post
    interesting.

There's already a decent summary of the Vampire specific lore of magic a few posts ago, the only thing to add is that the 3 core spells (the Necromantic spells) of Invocation of Nehek (raise models into a unit), Raise Dead (make a new nit of zombies) and Vanhels Danse macabre (move an unengaged unit OR cast on an engaged unit for strike first and re-roll misses) can be cast as many times as you like, not limited to once per caster.

Vampire work like other wizards, but allways know Invocation of Nehek on top of their randomly generated spells, so a level 1 Vampire knows Invocation and another spell. However there is a reasonably priced blood line power that lets you replace randomly generating spells with knowing an entire Lore of magic (choose from Lore of Vampires or any Lore from the BRB apart from Life), which gives you an amazing amount of magical flexibility.

Necromancers are only ever lvl 1 wizards, but they get to select the 1 spell they want from the 3 aforementioned Necromantic spells (notice I say select, not randomly choose). They can also cheaply pay to upgrade to know extra spells. So while they're limited to choosing from just 3 spells, it means you can choose what role he will play, you don't have to rely on the dice to give you good spells.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool. i was thinking of going more blood dragon style with less magic but maybe i wont do that now. hmmmm.
    Latest LO Blog Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast