Vlad and friends in 'Ard Boyz question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x2)

Vlad and friends in 'Ard Boyz question

I've decided that since the new Deamons won't be 'Ard Boyz worthy at the moment, I shall postpone them and focus on my very first army the Vampire Counts. I've skimmed the new Army Book and plan to pick up a Spearhead and a few other mini's next week.

In this tournament I am told you try to make the cheesiest list you can, then battle it out with other similar cheesy lists. All great fun I suppose, my real goal right now is trying to strike a fine balance between cheese and theme.

I'm big on theme, every army I take has some history behind it, and I do limit myself from time to time. I finished the Vampire Trilogy novels last year and since then I've been a big fan of Vlad and his stable of vampires. Skimming the book Vlad and friends don't seem bad, and Konrad I have seen put to great use many times.

Would Vlad, Konrad, Mannfred, and Isabella be feasible to use in this tournament? It's 3500 points, and I don't think Vlad would be such a waste at that level.

Also it seems Vlad's force mainly consisted of Skellies and Zombies, not a lot of the more flashy unit types. Ghouls were abundant, and Blood Knights could represent the Black Hand, or w.e that Vampire and his minions were called.

Basically from a cheese stand point would valid and a (Legal) amount of his themed children be a powerful choice on the tabletop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Doesn't GW have rules online?

EDIT: Here they are...

Events

http://us.games-workshop.com/news/ev...dBoyzRules.pdf
    Last edited by DavidWC09; March 16th, 2008 at 07:10.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

If you like the theme, run with it. I personally like the idea of lots of casting dice and HUGE hordes of Zombies. keep a Corpse cart and BSB with Helm of Commandment near by and your golden.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x2)

Thank you for that David, but my question wasn't a rules one, it was whether taking Vlad and friends would be feasible game wise, not rule wise. Though I need these, I thought this was a one day event, not something totally major. I believe I can place top three, but semi and finals I'll probably lose hardcore lol. Oh well, I've lived a good gaming life

-K

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stunted_Merc View Post
    Thank you for that David, but my question wasn't a rules one, it was whether taking Vlad and friends would be feasible game wise, not rule wise. Though I need these, I thought this was a one day event, not something totally major. I believe I can place top three, but semi and finals I'll probably lose hardcore lol. Oh well, I've lived a good gaming life

-K
    Level 3 wizard. +1 to combat, beguile not so great

Eh, he's okay. You have other options.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x2)

I'll have to give the book a good read when I buy it and see exactly what I want to do, wasn't try to be douchy or anything David with that. Looking back I sounded like a jerk lol, sorry about that buddy.

I think my main problem will be High Elves, the player is very skilled tactical wise. I am almost sure he is bringing Teclis and the Sun Mage on dragon or w.e, so magic defense is something I need.

Other forces I expect to face: Dark Elves, Dwarfs (Two here), High Elves(possibly two), Skaven, Empire (Possibly two).

About three members are experienced vets, a few are new but well off, and one or two are completely new and think they have the end all be all of armies lol. One happens to be the TK player, I will enjoy taking that ego down a peg :happy:

-K

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

You didn't sound like a jerk. You meant one thing, I meant another thing, and the perils of online miscommunication strike again.

I still think you can do better for a character choice. Whyare you interested in Vlad?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x2)

Fluff wise he is very interesting, and I made it a goal a while back to make a themed army around Vlad and his Vampire minions. I was curious if game wise it could be effective enough to win some 'Ard Boyz matches, but it seems he has a few flaws that I can't get over, like the lack of armour, when he clearly does wear armour (Though not enough to impede his casting).

Might just make my own Vampire and do a force on him, I've named him Richter Von Carstein so far, about all I got lol.

-K

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

What units do you have ready for Ard Boyz?

I'm playing WEs and expect to face Skaven. Blech.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x2)

Just my old army stuff, few blocks of Skellies and Zombies, about 15-20 old Ghouls. 3 Necro's, one mounted, two Vamps and a Wight King. I had a lot more but the store was broken into one day and my stuff was stolen mid game lol.

I plan to get a Spearhead, Blood Knights box and some more Skellies next Thursday. I'll work on a mock list that night and post it up for some help.

Skaven is like the polar opposite of WE's lol, you will have a tough time my friend. We had like two WE players pop on up so I quit them. I decided to shelf my DE's when we got a new player, was getting stale with them.

Got any Glade Guard? I think they would do rather well at holding Skaven blocks for Dryads or Wardancers to get the flank and end it, Treeman as well should wreck some units up good, but I've never actually faced Skaven with my WE's so this is theory for me lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast