How to beat vampire counts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to beat vampire counts?

Hi,
    I read many articles about new vampire counts army imba. This hysteria is typical for every new armybook. So please post tips and tricks how to beat them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Here's the lowdown on how to beat Vampire Counts.

Kill the General.

Seriously, that's it . . . target every gun, every magic spell and your hardest hitting unit all at the same time and shoot him to hell, then smash him to bits with CR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this general sits at the back of the army in a big fat unit of skeletons and raises units to block anyone foolish enough to get close to him, how might one destroy him?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Depends what army you are using. There's always a way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

To beat undead, kill the magic phase and then kill the general.

Take out necros, units, characters with bound spells, and you'll negate that magic phase. At the same time, you're looking for opporunities to take out the vampire leading the army.

Meanwhile, look for other high point opportunities. Take out ethereal units. They're expensive and highly vulnerable to magic.

When I play against VC, I work to eliminate bats and wolves, anything that moves fast and slows down my units.

And I always, always save one or two dispel dice for the book of arkhan.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll second what others have said here. As for the Book of Ahrkan: save two dice unless you don't care if your opponent moves. 1/3 chance of taking an unexpected charge just isn't worth it. Movement magic will cost you games, especially against VC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I agree with David. From the games i've lost, those are the exact tactics a successful opponent uses (or someone who knows what he's doing), which allows for a solid victory to the opponent. An army with a weak magic phase and few dispel scrolls/dispel dice is going to struggle abit more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you can hit hard and fast you have the advantage. this requires (as those above have stated) killing their magic phase.

i find that if you can take an item that just stops one phase of magic its worth it.

also charter assassination (again perviously stated) is a good idea, so many points get warped up their for most people. challenges are ok if you can keep the vampire from clearing out the front rank you might do enough kills to the unit to stay in combat a turn longer, still a protracted battle will be a loosing battle but a small advantage is still an advantage. and who knows you might do some damage in the process.

fighting unbreakable with unbreakable seams like a good idea at first but vampires pay less for it so on a cost benefit analysis it does not work so well.

like any army only fight the battles you want to. one of the strengths of undead is that you can predict the outcome pretty soundly between two units, it was that way in the old edition and it is still that way now (more tricks now must be considerd, granted).

my point is this only fight if you think you can win, the army that works together as a whole going to have the advantage verses any and all opponents.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

High elves make a good choice i think. They are up against core untis weaker than them. Plus they are masters at shutting down an oppnents magic phase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Hashulaman View Post
    High elves make a good choice i think. They are up against core untis weaker than them. Plus they are masters at shutting down an oppnents magic phase.
    You're right, i played 2 high elf opponents, both new what they were doing, both tried desperately to pull of Drain Magic, which really damages mass IoN attempts. Both armies had lots of dispel scrolls. Both games were hard, although i managed to win one because his magic phase wasn't particulary strong and he was on the offensive. Where as the other army was shooty and magic heavy which ruined my slow army. Missile and magic heavy lists are anti-VC.