Shielding mounted Generals - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shielding mounted Generals

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone can help me on this, Ive just started building my VC army and I want the General to be flying about causing mayhem on an Abyssal terror!
    Im a little concerned with him being cut down out there on his own and the army crumbling to dust though.

Im wondering, as a flyer could an Abyssal terror join a unit of Fell bats and would that provide good shielding for him? Any problems to this.
    The other alternative would be just having a unit of Fell bats or two flying about infront of him to shield him from fire and protect his flanks, can flyers do this though?

Any other good ideas on how to protect a general on an flying mount while still getting the best out of his gnarly combat abilities is appreciated
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

k im not an expert as i dont play too often but they can shield him and i actually think they get -1 to shooting against the bats,i have that impression,others will tell you for sure hehe

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

You can never join a character to a unit of flyers regardless of your own ability to fly. It wouldn't afford him too much protection anyway, as the Abyssal Terror has too many wounds, you'd be ineligible for Look Out Sir!

They do screen like any other unit, but, again, the Abyssal Terror is a large target, so no hiding for him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way of shielding a General on an Abyssal terror is to use.... Another Abyssal Terror!!!

Just put the cheaper/non-General between any cannons/bolt throwers etc. and your set..... To have your cheaper abbysal terror shot to shreds then next turn the general goes down.

The best place for a uber expensive combat general is in a huge block of Skellies/Grave Guard. It is really tempting to put him in with the Blood Knights but its a small unit and can be brought down...
    -- Promotions/Public Officer --
    Dandenong Wargamers And Roleplayers Federation.

LINK - Meetup D.W.A.R.F.

LINK - D.W.A.R.F. Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

If you want to sacrifice some fighting ability to protect against crumbling then you could give him the Carstein Ring. Have him fly around, do as much damage as possible, then when he 'dies' have him pop up back in the main battle line.

Also remember that even if you take absolutely no magical upgrades for him you can still use 4 PD to cast invocation multiple times on him, so you
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Following up on the wisdom of this I agree with...

Quote Originally Posted by Da Springy Nids View Post
    Just put the cheaper/non-General between any cannons/bolt throwers etc. and your set..... To have your cheaper abbysal terror shot to shreds then next turn the general goes down.

The best place for a uber expensive combat general is in a huge block of Skellies/Grave Guard. It is really tempting to put him in with the Blood Knights but its a small unit and can be brought down...
    ...Given how vulnerable your army general is, after all if he dies you likely lose the game (it's pretty hard to come back from that point deficit, and unless it's a very late turn, the other loses it costs you)... Look Out Sir is just the only way to go (or GRARH MUMBLE GRUNK as Skeletons, Ghouls, Zombies, and Grave Guard try and say it).

In addition, you need numbers around him just to prevent him from being singled out and overwhelmed.

Even if you could put him with flyers, it still wouldn't be wise, because you just can't take the chance your foe has a few lucky rolls and weeds out the troops near him leaving him alone to take all shooting hits and such.

If you're going that route, a hard charging wild loner of a character, make it another character, not your general. VC can still do it well but the added lost means the cost of risking your general on it usually isn't worth it.
    Last edited by BFGMidwesternPrisoner; March 24th, 2008 at 05:10.
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

+ Reply to Thread