Splitting the Force: Your VC army in Subgroups (a poll) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Contingents in your army, aside from troops what do you take? (mult. answers okay)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I stick to troop blocks, all troop blocks, nothing but troop blocks. Why ruin perfection?

11 37.93%
  • Flyers. Terrain? Distance? These things matter not to a Jed... I mean VC.

3 10.34%
  • Cavalry/Fast Ground Units. Nothing says love like a Black/Blood Knights lance up the rump.

12 41.38%
  • MAGIC. When I need something somewhere, I summon it into being. Chaos eat your heart out.

18 62.07%
  • Characters. Some of my Heroes or Lords do dedicated solo duty. They're what goes bump in the night.

6 20.69%
  • Other VC (Wraiths, etc, other things you don't feel like calling one of the catagories above).

5 17.24%
  • I. Do. Not. Split. My. Force. We are legion.

6 20.69%
  • Other (Something totally out of left field, that you're going to tell us about below)

2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Splitting the Force: Your VC army in Subgroups (a poll)

There comes times when, due to terrain, foe, tactics in advance, or tactics mid game you find your army split into multiple groups.

So as a VC general, how does that usually work for you?

By the army book we all pretty much have a core of troops. Can't help it, nature of the army. However when you need to be in two places, what else do you use?

Maybe you have a main army, but either a flying or mounted force to flank.

Maybe you use flyers or a flying character for warmachine hunting.

Maybe you divide your mass troop army/magic heavy army into two groups.

Point is... when you have to split things, what do you do?

-
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Example:

I picked blocks, cavalry, and other.

The reason is my main army consists of a solid core of melee troops, but also has two unique contingents.

Moving seperately I run a combination of dire wolves, black knights, and a varghulf whose job is to act either as flankers, or a fast moving/hard hitting sub army all it's own.

My "Other" choice is my Wraiths. I can't really catagorize how I use them yet. They sort of pick up any odd jobs with their Etheral status. Unit in trees I need dealt with? Go get em. Warmachines that aren't shooting anything magical? Go get em. Flanking for the other side of my main troop army? Done. They aren't even bad at lone character hunting. I'm even playing with a Vamp Hero being given the Ethreral blood power, so I can move them farther from the army, and to give them some extra killing power.

Now while my army is magic heavy, I didn't feel it's magic heavy in the way this question asks. I very rarely summon up new units, I focus on healing and bulking up the ones I have. So in terms of army contingents, I rarely (well, never) "Create" a new one.

So my army for this would be divided by intention.
    and
    It's divided into
    1) a core of troops
    2) a flanking ground cav force
    3) a unique unit that isn't really part of the other two (yet)
    Last edited by BFGMidwesternPrisoner; March 24th, 2008 at 10:09.
    -
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depending on the situation i would probably pool my infantry into one big block and use my flyers and fast ground to hold thier flanks by attacking anything that might get round and then attack back. or use the vamps in the block to summon units zombies all over the place and push at the enemy while they try to kill/ovoid the zombies.

think i got what you ment but if im off the mork let me know
    Yes people i know that my spelling and punctuation is awful but I am product of British teaching pollicies so what can I do about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

That's pretty much what I meant.

I'm not so much asking "What all do you take" but "What operates as seperate to the core of your army".

Since most armies, even VC, don't operate as just one block for various reasons from the planned (my own use of a heavy flanking force, people who use flyers and are brilliant counter-warmachine players) to the unplanned (you foe splits HIS force and you need the VP, you're in a scenario style game with mutliple objectives, or your foe just plain puts terrain on the table in such a way you can't keep all your eggs in one basket) I'm curious what peoples differant contingents look like.

It becomes even more a question in this edition, because now with all Vamps acting to allow march moves, their is even more ability for VC's to spread out then before. My old VC list had to include 2 Dogs of War units just to give me the kind of freedom I liked. Now I can do the same, w/in my own list (which is good since I don't think DoW are an option anymore), and I can even do it better.
    -
    -
    -
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I have 2 problems:

1. All my units have to go together in blocks, they HAVE to be neat.

2. I have an obession with raising models. I'd rather raise one skeleton than conjure an important spell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i yuse anvil hammer style i yuse 2 packs of wolvs and 1 smal group of black knights (3x 9""march) 2 force my oponent to keep funnel his team army in my blocks!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

With the old rule book, I used two or three blocks of troops, spirit hosts, black knights, two packs of ghouls, up to 20 wolves, a unit of fellbats, and maybe a banshee.

With the new one, I just don't know.

I got tired of playing lots of block troops with undead. The strategy was the same each game. Tangle the enemy in a block of undead, flank, break, pursue, and repeat.

I like that this new book will make for more types of armies. In other words, I have no idea what I'll be doing for this book.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel the most comfortable with using a pair of infantry blocks supported by a number of fast moving units. My current 1000 points army (posted in the army list forum ) is an example of that: Skeletons and Zombies, two packs of Dire Wolves, some Fell Bats and a Varghulf.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

The way I'm probably going to use my army (once it's finished and playable) is to have my main core of troops which hold my line, with Special and Rare units (plus Dire Wolves) making up a flanking or at least quick-response force. I know Black Knights will be in there somewhere, but I'm not sure if I'll be using a Varghulf or a Black Coach or even the Wraiths.

So I pretty much picked fast ground units/Cavalry. That seems to fit me pretty well. I may end up using magic now and then, but probably won't rely on it.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Most of my armies are formed around a solid core of 3-4 blocks. I find this optimal for me because it allows you to support and protect the main fighting unit (in this case Grace Guard) with the cheaper and somewhat more expendable Skeletons.
    I then have the contingent of flankers - Dire Wolves, Black Knights etc. The faster moving stuff that has the ability to get around the flanks of the battlefield and also has a larger threat radius due to the increased mobility. Ideally I like to run flankers down both sides - instead of only one - and bring them back in towards my lines in the latter stages (which I can do most times as my main oponent is chaos - yay for no shooting!) to hit units from all sides.
    I also use (well, used to I haven't played a game with the new book yet) raise speed-bump zombie units to angle combats more to my liking (i.e. flank charges).
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast