Most boring army build ever? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Most boring army build ever?

Recentaly in a local RT tourny I think I played the most boring army I have ever faced. 3 blocks of skelletons, 1 block of gravegaurd, 2 units of wolves, and everthing else into raising magic. My O&G army with fanatics, bolt thrower and stone throwers did massive damage to his units before I got into CC. However with 11 dice at +1 to cast and some above average dice rolling I wasn't able to actualy inflict any lasting damge on his units. The game ended with my having killed both wolf units, and 1 skele unit (only thanks to 11 fanatic wounds and a stone thrower hit killing the unit in 1 round exactaly to the last skele). I couldn't believe how much

I should further mention as this was a Canadian hall 'O heros game, they did allow raising in combat.

I myself am rebooting my old strigoi VC army, and while initialy while I was thinking along these very lines, I am now reworking my army in hopes of making something different.

I'm just currious how many people play or are planing to play with a 4 casters all with +1 to cast on their core troops and 4 big blocks of troops and do people find this list tedious to play against?

Last edited by xrix1; April 10th, 2008 at 18:49.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with no shooting resiliance is really all we have! in 2k i have 1 casty vamp that does the healing of my core troops (skeletons) my other fighty vamps really only invoc the grave guard unit since i cannot bring it beyond starting and most of the time they don't get it off anyway!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

there's lots of boring armies in my opinion. Dwarves are up at the top of the list for me. The VC book does have alternative ways of running their army. All vampires are magic users, so they are going to have decent magic no matter what (most of their good spells can be cast on 3-4 or can be cast on 2 dice at least) VC can also be one of the hardest hitting close combat armies due to some better units and banners etc, kind of like a fear-causing HoC army back in the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that other races have posibilities like pegas bretonia, tzeenech, max skaven ingeneers...well vampire counts have stronger posibility and this extreme is very hard to counter. I think against this type of army you simply must have vampire characters killers. In 2000 vc list with max PD player will have cca 1200 in vampires. Your goal is not bring skelletons down but in one turn shoot 1 skeleton unit nearly into zero status and kill vampire in it with suited hero. Fight extreme vc with your own extreme list. The most advantage is that vc magic extreme list is more universal than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Abit of a slow army. Dire wolfs are look quite big and scary, my opponents usually shoot them down first straight away with ease. Need a varghulf (which is fun) at least. Or Black Knights, a unit which I would use if i was being sensible but i've been using 4 blood knights accompanying a vamp (which has been absolutely tearing my opponents apart).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by xrix1 View Post
    3 blocks of skeletons, 1 block of graveguard, 2 units of wolves...
    I'd hate to say it, but that sounds almost exactly like the core of my army.

Of course, I don't have the four casters - I plan on using three vampires, one aimed at raising skeletons (with Lord of the Dead Bloodline power), one for general casting, and one more geared towards combat. The final character is a Wight Lord.

That and I also intend having Black Knights and maybe a Varghulf (or Black Coach) in the army.

But I can see how the 4 casters is tempting. Vampire Magic can be quite powerful now, and for those who used to play Nechrachs because they loved their magic, this kind of build would be the logical progression. Although with the changes to Vanhel's Danse, and the chance to get ASF, taking hordes of basic troops seems like a bit of a waste...
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

A lot of armies can come up with nasty magic lists when fielding all casters, Vamps can but they pay a hell of a premium for it.
    A lot of armies in a tournament setting will see any easy win when faced with 1200 points of Vamps 8X

1/ Caster Vampires are very vunerable to all the normal caster assination strategies.
    2/ Hiding the caster means wasting their combat ability, and the now shorter cast range mans its harder to do.
    3/ VC Caster armies tend to rely on magic to strengthen their units, if you can hold their magic for turn 1 you can do some serious damage.

I've seen magic heavy VC lists get completely demolished by a 2 Stank army, by a Thorek Dwarf list (not gunline) and by a HE Dragon list.
    In all cases the players exploited the VCs weak starting army with a full on attack, and once the VC were down a caster & unit they couldn't control the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I should be more clear here. It's not that I found the list super powerful, or super weak, or that I need tactics against it. What I found was it was one of the most boring games of WHFB I've played. I did a whole bunch of stuff, he then cast Invocation 13 times and walked forward. Repeat for 4 turns, then charge, repair damage, vampires get some kills, and hope I roll poorly for a turn so fear/outnumber/win happens.

It's not like this isn't a valid tactic, and one I've used myself, it's just that with that many dice and a lack of other units asside from blocks, there was no other stratagy or plan asside from an occasional magic missile.

I felt like yawning half way through the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampires were always using blocks and always will, u definattelly see in every list between 30-60 models of core block troops (depending on the players vamp choises) and if u go down the road with 4 characters (not using wight) u get at least 7 PD and possibly 1-2 bound spells so again here not much of a choise u will have a decend magic phase.
    So it all comes down to whether u like the playing style of the army or not.

Now as for the boring part u mentioned, that was the game he wanted to play, better safe then sorry,well not all players r like that, imagine facing a full ethereal army....boring if u dont have magic attacks and get killed by ghosts.

+ Reply to Thread