Dealing with the Star Dragon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealing with the Star Dragon

Hi all,

I'm playing against a HE player this week, and I suspect he might bring a Star Dragon. Has anyone faced off against the ancient beastie with the new VC book? If so, what do you find works well against the dragon, tactically? (I'm playing my standard list, with 3x20 skeletons, 2x5 direwolves, 5 fell bats, 20 grave guard, vargulf, and three wraiths, and so I'm looking for tactics to beat him, not changes to my list.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kill the rider, make the dragon take a test and hope it doesn't do anything
    Project Terracotta - Currently Underway

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

At the estimated point level based on the units you listed, if they have a Star Dragon, they most likely don't have overpowering magic (or more importantly, dispel ability). This means you should be able to get VHD off. Maybe not the first turn you try to spam it, but probably the second or so. Use VHD to charge him with either a block of Skeletons that receive IoN spam to lock him up for a while, or charge him with grave guard to try and KB the rider. Remember, only the rider has ASF, not the dragon.

Try not to let him get in contact with your vampire lord, as the dragon might be able to take him out. If he does end up in contact, challenge with a unit champ... and keep trying to bring that guy back to life and re-challenge until you can get someone else in there to do wounds and kill off the dragon.

If you have the Helm of Commandment, use that on the unit the dragon charges so it won't hit on 3's, too. And you'll hit it back easier, too. Every little bit helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frostblade

ONE WORD Frostblade

All you got to do i one wound and the beast is dead. this is how i've been dealing with the one a high elf player at my culb takes.

give the vampie Flying Horror, Infinite Hatred, and Avatar of Death.

It might cost a lot but the star dragon cost more
    Fast is the only way to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

With the way that the summoning spells work these days... I would suggest that you get two blocks of skeletons about 25 big with champ.

Get both units into combat with them and use the champs to challenge... They will get killed you will lose maybe 1-2 models to combat res and then use your magic to bring the champ back.

You actually need two blocks of skeletons to do this because you will lose one champ in your turn then one in your opponent.

Its a TK strategy that is used to deal with dragons and now that VCs spell IoN is pretty much the same as the summoning spell from TK you can do the same.

The best part is you are looking at a lot of points being stopped by an expendable unit and then you are free to use the rest of your army to take out the rest of his army.

I would use your wariths to protect you as the rest of the army advances.
    There is nothing more annoying when your Wyches with Plasma Grenades get "Always strikes First" for their combat drugs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

In the unlikely event the rider doesn't have a magic weapon then you're wraiths will be good to go.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000AD View Post
    In the unlikely event the rider doesn't have a magic weapon then you're wraiths will be good to go.
    I was refering to his wraiths as a unit to protect the rest of his army as it advances after he has locked up the dragon...
    There is nothing more annoying when your Wyches with Plasma Grenades get "Always strikes First" for their combat drugs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Malkieth View Post
    I was refering to his wraiths as a unit to protect the rest of his army as it advances after he has locked up the dragon...
    I was just making a general statement. As their ethereal the dragon wont be able to hurt them and you only need to worry about the rider, though chances are the rider will have a magic weapon of nastiness.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000AD View Post
    I was just making a general statement. As their ethereal the dragon wont be able to hurt them and you only need to worry about the rider, though chances are the rider will have a magic weapon of nastiness.

Sorry about that 2000AD but you are right that if the character doesn't have a magical weapon although chances are it will.

The biggest issue with trying to bog down a dragon is getting to it and making you charge the unit which you want! Stupid flying lol:party2:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

The rest of the army will be pretty weak. You could ignore it guess. He will also have poor magic, if you magic heavy he'll have trouble. If you go magic heavy just march forward to attack the rest of the army, if the dragon flames a unit, just heal them back, if he charges them, he won't kill them all, it won't be that bad.

You could use a fell bats and the varghulf to fly around the dragon, behind it, to the sides so he can't charge you. If you keep following him he might try and take your bats out, which is good because he's wasting his time. It could work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast