10 Wraiths? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Wraiths?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 Wraiths?

I was wondering what people think of the idea of taking one unit, maybe even two, of 10 Wraiths with a Banshee. Their primary role at torny level would be to sit on an objective but also to act as a massive skirmmish screen for the rest of my army. the problem is that the unit comes in at over 500 points, too dear?

Many Thanks,

Will Adams

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

certainly against some armies it would have advantages Skaven and Orcs and goblins for example I would suspect. Possibly even Wood Elves however it seems pretty vulnerable to me. Especially at tourny level where you are facing lots of different armies. What happens if you come up against another VC army with Black Knights. Immune to Terror and Magic weapons...you would be in trouble......

It won't protect you against gunlines/war machine heavy armies either which will bounce right through those guys.

Finally the sheer points sink it represents means you won't have to much to spend on anything to kill a great deal.

Final verdict: It would look very scary but I think ultimately would be a flawed army.
    Last edited by Visitor Q; September 9th, 2008 at 18:55.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Eh, it would destroy empire, as they don't have nearly enough magic weapons to hurt them, but in the end it's a gimmick idea... and gimmick ideas are very hit or miss depending on match-ups, and in a tournament you'll likely run into at least one in which your list will suffer.

And Skaven wouldn't be one of the ones to fear it, btw. They have *SO* many magical shooting attacks (jezzails, ratlings, warp cannons, etc), let alone their warp lightning spell that would be tearing them apart.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I was thinking more of the Ld issues with Terror and Banshees.

But your right about the war-machanies.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard of one guy at a store i used to go to, who uses 2 units of 5 wraiths with a banshee. Consider this; would you put dire wolves or wolf riders in units of 10? NO! Why? because that is not thier role. Their job is to rear charge, flank and take down non-magical monsters, which can be easily done with 5 models or even 3 after 4 wounds on the unit. 2 units of 5 is far safer, and can be quite effective if used smartly in conjuntion with a magic defensive/heavy list. I'm sure 60% of opponents just can't handle 2 units of wraiths. Just remember u can't dispell irrisistable forces, no matter how many scrolls and dd u have. Hide them behind your units, not in front, keep them in woods. Use your bats and dire wolves to kamakazie thier wizards and magical artillary. Then bring out the big guns! I find, if my wraiths aren't dead by turn 3, they will usually kill double thier points in troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Summed up pretty well so far, too much of a point sink to really be worth it. One good magic missile and the unit is in trouble, one unit with magic attacks and they might be in a bit of trouble. Dwarf artillery can be upgraded to have magical attacks as well remember, and most Skaven shooting is magical. Really 500 points for a unit of 10 models that has no static combat res and can't deny ranks is a little bit much. It would look cool though.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

381 (x8)

But how cool would it be to see 200 pts worth of Flesh Hounds kill a 1,000 pt army in 2 turns? =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

It's got to do with the fact that flesh hounds have magical attacks, strike before wraiths and will wound them because their attacks are magical. Same as Dryads really. All the benefits that Wraiths have are negated by these 2 units for a fraction of the price.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say I whole heartedly agree with you all on this one. It was an idea proudly put to me by the manager at my local GW, as if this was the best idea in the world. I just think that every army (bar dwarfs) has access to magic missiles, most have one magic attack unit, and most of all that it is a quarter of your army gone; by the time you have a Lv 4 and a Lv 2 vampire in there that is over half your army gone. It doesn't matter how many dispel dice you back them up with, irrisitable force, jezzeils, driads, tomb guard, enemy characters, grail knights, high and dark elf champions etc- all have magical attacks to take this unit down.

Just my two cents,

Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast