Rare unit discussion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare unit discussion

So getting back into Warhammer fantasy isn't going to be as bad as i originally thought, but i was wondering what peoples opinions where on the rare unit choices? Compared to many of the other armies we have a rather good selection for ours. I personally like the Black Coach and the Cairn wraiths but whats the communities opinion on them all?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by thritz View Post
    So getting back into Warhammer fantasy isn't going to be as bad as i originally thought, but i was wondering what peoples opinions where on the rare unit choices? Compared to many of the other armies we have a rather good selection for ours. I personally like the Black Coach and the Cairn wraiths but whats the communities opinion on them all?

Varghulf is my favorite rare unit for vamps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to take varghulf and wraithes
    i like the varghulf to go up the flank and keep my knights marching.

wraithes are great have much killy power but their quite vulnerable to magic.

the blood knights are awsome in combat but very expensive.

the coach i have personaly never realy paided much attention to or tried before but i love the model,so i'm quite looking forward to seeing a review on it:-)

hope i helped:-)
    Bye,
    Nihl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varghulf is probably the most bang for your buck. Its hits hard, is tough to kill with regeneration, causes terror, and allows other undead to march.

Blood Knights are my second favorite choice. They are quite pricey, but nothing hits harder.
    A wraith with an angels body, demon with a smile of gold. You soul sucker, I won't become like you. -Atreyu

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I think my favourite Rare choice would have to be the Varghulf. Gigantic, bat-vampire-monster thing; what's not to like? And the model looks brilliant as well, even though I'm yet to put mine together!

The Black Coach probably comes in second. I'm not entirely sure if I like it (I don't want it filching all my power dice) but I've got some conversion ideas I want to try out on mine, even if I don't plan on using it all that much.

While Blood Knights and Wraiths seem like great units, I'm somewhat wary of them... I'm just worried I won't be able to use them effectively, or I'll get them killed doing something stupid. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the models; they look alright, but I just prefer the other options available.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Two varghuls can bring a world of hurt to the enemy. They're so fast, that dealing with them in short order is nigh impossible. They're great for many different roles.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Varghulfs are very effective as mentioned, despite what I thought when I first saw them on paper. In games they are hard to kill and deal lots of death. I still don't like the models at all though.

The Black Coach, I am not sure about. I liked it in the old book, and now it is supped up without a raise in price, but it could die very easily and be a big waste of points. I will try it in a few games and see. The model is awesome.

Wraiths are great, but again fragile. Keep them well away from magic missiles and they can pay their points very well.

Blood Knights I'm definitely not convinced on. The models are rediculously expensive ($$) and at such a point cost for the unit, they will have a huge effect on the battle. If your opponent can deal with them (and they aren't really THAT much tougher than normal knights) you will be facing an uphill battle. If they get into combat, not much can stop them. I don't think I would use them just for that factor.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do enjoy using the Varghulf but he might as well have a big sign on him that says hit me, Big model which is good in CC and counts as a vampire will make most players concentrate their fire power on it. Most people think the black coach is a threat and i "pretend" to use it as a flanking chariot, but with its 3+ save and 4+ ward save it can take and adsorb a lot of the fire that would otherwise cream my black knights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I had a few thoughts about this the other day, might as well share them,
    I think in terms of choosing rares for a vanilla all comers type of list its probably got to be 2 vargulfs, coming in at 350 points for the gold medal. They deal so much damage out, have regenerate are very quick and can get other undead to march, they are effective against war machines, chariots, even heavy cavalry as they can out range it on the charge.

If you want the coach then I think it works best with a casting army, just put near your vampires and watch it suck in the power dice! it is a lot of points for one s7 hit to deal with though and there are too many things that can do that damage out there for my liking.

Wraiths are very scary against certain races, but again like the coach there is too much that can just wipe them out in one hit, any 2d6 magic missile is pretty scary for them. I think they are best used in under 2000 points where there is not a large amount of magic floating around and then just three of them could really give your opponent problems.

The blood knights are, in my opinion the most fun of the rare slots, they are pretty fragile if they are not charging, but if you can get them on the flank of an army it is all over, although they tend to rack up the points too - about 330 - 375 if you want 5 with magic banner, well worth remembering they are the only VC rare that can have static combat res as well!

Hope this helps.
    Arms are an instrument of evil, No measure for thoughtful men until there fail all other choice but sad acceptance of it.
    Sun-Tse : The art of war

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I personally think a Varghulf and a small unit of Cairn Wraiths (3 including a Banshee).

You get two Terror causing units, a great flanker and a unit that can take out nasties like Giants.

Wraiths are vulnerable but I think keeping them behind your main line as a reserve unit is an effective way of using them. Even if they never get into combat the Banshee scream can cause a world of hurt.

To be honest the Vampire counts rare units are the biggest improvement in their whole list since the new book came out. Its what changed the list from good to Dead Good........

(......I should be shot for that pun)
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast