Wotlk Themed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wotlk Themed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Wotlk Themed

I have been debating starting a fantasy army again. I played woodelves, empire and then most recently being about 5 years ago tomb kings. I always liked undead. After watching the not so recent wrath of the lich king trailer, got me thinking of starting vampire counts then having a container of snow flock i been wanting to use for an army it all clicked. Think there are some great models to run as arthas/vampire lord and hordes of skeletons and zombies in a snowy Northrend. Any other ideas feedback on this idea? Do share.

Last edited by Tyrius; September 26th, 2008 at 00:50.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What on earth is Wotlk? I can't help you unless you are more clear.
    A wraith with an angels body, demon with a smile of gold. You soul sucker, I won't become like you. -Atreyu

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

i have to second that - type out what you are referring to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

I appoligize. Its Wrath of the Lich King, the next expansion for World of Warcraft. Arthas is the lich king, a death knight.
    Here is a link to the trailer for Wotlk: YouTube - Wotlk Trailer hd version Think this video will help out, even if you don't play the game.

This is the smallest picture I could find that would show how he looks. You could also google "arthas deathknight"
    Last edited by Tyrius; September 26th, 2008 at 00:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I think there is some kind of law against ever bringing blizzard into GW stuff

but seriously , you would need to say something like your vamp is so old his skin fell off - then use a wight king model to lead army, supported by other wights then you could make a pretty nice snow army on it

I also like the idea of frozen dead, and use it as part of my vamp and DE army themes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Concilliator View Post

but seriously , you would need to say something like your vamp is so old his skin fell off - then use a wight king model to lead army, supported by other wights then you could make a pretty nice snow army on it.
    Deathknights do have their skin, they are very much like vampires, lacking fangs. They are humanlike in most regards.

There is no law saying you can't paint up an army to be an army from some other game/movie/ or anywhere else. The only thing in regards to copyright is if i were to use any non-gamesworkshop models in a tournament, and you can still do that but they can't take pictures and publish them. I don't plan on using any Blizzard models as they have none that would be suitable for warhammer.

The idea is the theme which, is instead of a vampires i have a deathknights which is just a Paladin, who lost his faith and pledged himself to the lich king, arthas, who was once a deathknight who merged with a the lich king which was just an entity encased in the frozen throne, giving the lich king a physical body. The lich king is responsible for the scourge, an army of undead that ravaged a large portion of Azeroth, the world of warcraft. Deathknights are UNDEAD and able to cast magical abilities and the only real thing not like vampires is no fangs, they drain their enemies with magical abilities and spells from themselves and through rune weapons. They have the ability to raise dead and heal other dead beings. Arthas has the ability to kill his enemies and raise them as undead (banshee, ghouls, skeletons).

All models will be gamesworkshop models or some sort of conversions. Instead of vampires I think I could convert some deathknights from chaos plastic bits. I guess all this would probably make more sense if you knew more about Warcraft and Warhammer backgrounds.

So for anyone not aware of Warcraft in any way it would probably just appear to be an undead army from some frozen area.

Last edited by Tyrius; September 26th, 2008 at 01:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I know all about blizz's story and think its pretty poor actually--- but yeah you could buy some blood knights and paint them all black and frosty -- or use chaos like you said.

but warhammer should sue blizzard , they stole everything from them , save the most recent stories--- but the "zerg" and the "terrans" , and the human orc thing all stolen

but you shouldnt call arthas the liche king, arthas is long destroyed --- the lichking is the soul of an orc warlock , who possessed arthas ---

yeah I would advise using the chaos warriors with lots of skeles then just call your knights a lichking; if you wanted special rules obviously you would need to clear with whoever your playing--- if its just a mini painting project do whatever you want !!!

you could use Valten the exalted just painted all creepy and white haired --- with black armor and maybe mod a sword and crown on him; that could be a good lich king.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Though completely irrelevant, J.R.R Tolkien I think would have the rights in suing anyone using orcs/elves/humans/ wizards mages or any of the like. As it stands now Hasbro/wizards of the coast should sue gamesworkshop as Dungeons and Dragons outdates them, but I don't think there is a way to copyright the names of mythical or fantasy creatures, as they would even predate any written form of the monsters.

The theme would be more then just a paint job. Like I said there would be conversions to make my vampires deathknights and Lord the Lich king. For the most part the gw models for the core choices are not really needed to be changed. I will be able to use my snow flock that has been sitting around I also found some people who did other snow based armies with ice effects would be interesting to test out. This thread was not ment as a how you like Blizzard or warcraft but if anyone has pictures to anything similiar been done or even some cool winter/snow themed armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

tolkien is dead GW is not -- GW had the set up well before anything blizzard did --- DandD cannot claim a thing over GW because of the way GW constructed the universe -- first with its most unique creation 40k then a fantasy style thing or backwards I cant remember--- blizz stole the tyranids and made them zerg and stole marines and made them terrans, they did it openly and boldly.-- tolkien has zero claim to the marines and tyranids

and the only reason I mention it is because you ask about people who ripped off GW to make a theme based on that ; its worth talking about in my mind; and part of the subject

and on subject It sounds like it will be a cool theme --- just make up some rules for them, if you want to really go off and make them unique --and for my winter landscape I just painted it stony with some frosty effects that I got from clear coating base too much viola icy landscape
    Last edited by Concilliator; September 26th, 2008 at 03:31.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

You can't copyright mythology.

Tolken's work is old enough that i think some of the copyright things don't apply.

Pluse you can't copyright mythology.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast