Raise or start high - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raise or start high

So heres were i am at. Im i playing at 2250pts i run two units of 15 skellys and raise them to 20. I realized that if i dropped my two skelly down into 10 i would have enough for 10 more dogs or ghouls. but the question is, is it worth it or would it be to risky to try that raise that much.

information i have corpse cart with lodestone 2 hero vamps and one lord vamp lvl3 with lord of dead.

so 7 pd

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

There was a big thread debating whether it is better to start small and raise or start large. It came down to a matter of personal preference, different people liked raising different amounts. And you should just try it out and see how it goes. How is it working with 15 so far? Are you finding they get raised really easily with dice left? Or are you struggling to get there? That should influence you as well.

In my opinion, 7 pd is not enough in 2250 points to rely on to raise from 10. A lot of armies will have sufficient DD to stop enough of your spells before closing, or even destroy one of the units before you get a chance to raise if their shooting is good enough. It would be quite a gamble, but on the games that it worked it would pay off well. Also consider that if you use the points to make a unit of 10 ghouls, that is an extra unit you will be wanting to raise to a good size before combat is reached. That would probably be too much to try to raise.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that it would be too tough to get them up to size to be honest. 15 is quite a low number anyway but enough to be able to raise to a good size. I would advise against it. Almost every game I roll at least one 2 per magic phase trying to get IoN off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i was wondering about the ghouls cause i already field one unit of 10 already so that it would be up to 20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've read and thought myself is, if your list is magic heavy. Your lord if a caster and most of your vampires are. Then start small. For you have the magic to afford it. Yet if your doing a aggressive CC list with many Grave Guard, Black Knights, Blood Knights, Vargulfs and Combat Counts than start high, because you probably won't have enough magic to start low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its also important to remember that if you have only one Vampire with the appropriate 'raise above start size' power then you are very dependent on him if you start small. If you raise a unit above start size only the Vampire with 15 pt. summoning power can bring the numbers back up after they start to take losses, at least until it gets back below the start size. This can be a real handicap.

I like to take 15 or 14(w/character) so that I can always IoN up to a +2 rank bonus with any caster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I wouldn't start at 10 because you can easily loose ten to shooting and magic. I always do 15 and its goes very well usually. I then like to get these units up to 30 models and try to keep them at that. I have 2 ghoul units and 1 skeleton btw. I wish I could start at 20 but i can't fit it in completatively. It gets tedious adding and taking away, guess you could just use dice to number the amount or simple gravestones and save the models for tournies or if it matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nimmer View Post
    I think its also important to remember that if you have only one Vampire with the appropriate 'raise above start size' power then you are very dependent on him if you start small. If you raise a unit above start size only the Vampire with 15 pt. summoning power can bring the numbers back up after they start to take losses, at least until it gets back below the start size. This can be a real handicap.

I like to take 15 or 14(w/character) so that I can always IoN up to a +2 rank bonus with any caster.
    That is an extremely good point, and one that I never considered. It would indeed be a big handicap, I will have to remember that for future games against VC as well as when I start them. It suddenly makes min units of 15 much more appealing than 10 to me.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should start high especially against other heavy magic enemies. else you won't have enough models on the board to fight them

+ Reply to Thread