Vampire Delivery System - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Vampire Delivery System

I was wondering if this was perhaps a viable tactic. In the general thread "first turn charge", the point came up that with a combination of a Ghoul Unit, Ghoulkin, Flying Horror/Talsiman of the Lycni, I vampire could get across the table in one turn. You stick your vampire into a unit of ghouls, use the GhoulKin talisman to move them as a free move, then move your vampire his 20"fly or 18"charge.

My question is- is it legal? I like how the Vampires open up so many dirty little tricks like this. If this Delivery System is legal, I want to know how you would execute it.

I am thinking that while the Flying Horror would be nice, it'd be too risky. You need a vampire who is confident acting on their own for a few turns, and Flying is only good for a Lord Level vampire -who is likely also your general. Besides, if you had a Lord, why not leave his 100pts of powers to make him a close combat beast, and still have some points left over for gear as well?
    If you used a Hero vampire, I don't know if he'd be able to generate enough kills to balance Combat Resolution and keep from phasing out.

For a Lord i'm thinking taking something like:
    Eternal Hate, the blood-dragon power to gain free attacks from successful wounds, Avatar of Death, Talisman of the Lycni, the sword that regens wounds, and the Enchanted Shield.

For a noble I think it'd be all of that, but without the big blood-dragon power, and no sword, no shield, but 2 hand weapons instead and maybe a bit of armor or something with a save.

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds interesting, but i cant really think of a tactical scenario where you'd want a vampire out far infront of your army? sept maybe to take out warmachines early , im probly missing something obvious though (as usual) .

personnaly im too much of a paranoid hypochondriac to use this tactic. Such an important (and expensive) part of my army fending for itself .

also it may be that in one instance if units of your enemy get a free move and your movement phase is secound aswell they could possibly ingage your vampire before its fly move . Or even be with 1 inch so you couldnt use your vampires march move ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

defo fun for warmachine hunting , or rolling over small low LD units

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

It would have to be a Vampire with Fly, Heavy armour and Etheral, too many chances for the enemy to block the front of a Vampire unit. The most useful way to use this would be if the opponent sets up his stuff on a hill, with teh Vampire within easy reach.

As long as there are no magic-item wielding nutters or wizards nearby, then the vampire should be immune to any localised enemy fire, and can pick apart the artillery, and then annihilate the smaller units of missile troops that are normally deployed near them.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    It would have to be a Vampire with Fly, Heavy armour and Etheral
    I don't have the BRB in front of me to check, but I thought an ethereal character could only join units if they were ethereal, as well? If that's the case, then the ghoulkin wouldn't work for that setup.

And in most cases, neh... too many points at risk to send a vampire out unsupported like that. And not only are vampires expensive, but they are often the lynch pins to the army in terms of CR and marching.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

I've done that tactic once and I used flying horror, avatar of death (great weapon) and flayed hauberk for a S7 vampire with a 2+ save. He should only go after small ranged units or war machines (or chariots!) but this keeps his points relatively low and his survivability relatively high.

I've never tried it but what I think could be fun in large games (3K+ using your second lord choice) is a Lord vamp with the following:

flying horror, avatar of death (great weapon), either red fury or the terror power
    carstein ring, flayed hauberk

Set up a first turn charge with him and then when he dies he has a 5/6 chance of coming back to life in your own lines!
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

And a 1/6 chance of losing the game in the second turn....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

If you move forward with ghoulkin but don't get first turn, charging out on your turn could mean that he simply flees and your guy is stuck in the middle of the field. And I can't remember, if a character charges from a unit, I know the unit can't charge, but it can still move, right? If not, that'd be another argument against it.

If you use ghoulkin and do get first turn so that you're 16" in, then you can charge and make contact or run down units that might flee and it'd probably be okay. But separating the lifeblook of the VC army from the army, assuming it's a lord, is really risky.

Technically, a lord can have dread knight and the flying power, as silly as it seems to me, so you can go all out with dreadlance, dread knight, red fury, and flying (if points allow it...nothing to look at here at work). Then you'd rack up a pile of combat res. Of course, one losing combat, and game over.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    And a 1/6 chance of losing the game in the second turn....
    Na - his example was in a 3k game, where I'd guess the fly out and fight lord would not be the general.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I don't take the fly vampiric power. I just give him a hellsteed, thats cheaper, gives him an extra little attack and +1 on his save.

It would be fun in a big battle against an army with relatively low or mid leadership ( like men, skaven, goblins ) to send out a vampire on a hellsteed with that terrorcausing blade and just run around and say 'boo!' al the time xD

+ Reply to Thread