Close Combat Hero - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close Combat Hero

I play a Heavy Magic army, Lev 3 Magic Lord w/ Master of Black Arts and Dark Acolyte and skullstaff w/ Avatar of Death and Crown, and a Level 1 Vamp w/ Dark Aco & Lord of the Dead Helm of Commandment, and a Necro on Corpsecart with Macabre and Book of Arkhan. I love the list, but I got sucked into a 2500 today so I added a Wight King w/ Black Axe of Krell and it was amazingly fun and it crushed everything it touched. So now I was wondering what is the most viable combat lord/hero we can have. I like to keep my Lord a caster, for the safety factor, but it be nice to have some combat leaders tearing up the front lines. So what are your favorite combat leaders and where do they fit in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

My vampires aren't usually "combat monsters", because they are normally going into a unit. With 24 Skeletons wrapped around him, he's got his own CR and some ablative wounds. However, when I really just WANT to be an idiot and risk a vampire, I go with this get-up:

Vampire BSB w/ hellsteed, hand of dust, dread knight, walking death
    @ 245pts

The way that I used this get-up was to have a second vampire with GhoulKin. I put Mister Monster in a ghoul unit, marched it right after deployment, and then used his flying charge to get him stuck into combat. ON TURN 1. I then proceeded to knock down my enemy's (albiet pitiful) magic defense with several deadly looking spells, so that I could hit his unit with Hand of Dust. As these hits were worked out BEFORE combat, he lost rank bonuses for the guys that I killed. Then I took care of my charge, hitting him with a lance and killing more than a few enemies. When Combat Resolution rolled around, my character got all of his kills, +1 for being the BSB, and +1 for having 'Walking Death'. With 2 wounds inflicted, and my +2, I had CR4. My opponent had lost two ranks before combat, had a banner, and had an outnumber bonus. That made 3CR for him. I won the combat by 1, and he broke, I pursued, and cut down a unit right there on the first turn.

I have never used that character after that day, because it is too easy for combat to swing out of your favor, or your enemy to hold their ground, and cost you 345pts when your BSB is slaughtered.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

If you're just looking for a "hero" level vampire that kills things, Konrad is amazingly effective and not that expensive either. He has some real drawbacks (not a caster, potential frenzy/stupid) and is pretty fragile, but he fights as well as most other army books' lord choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I agree that konrad is good. I also like going

Vampire
    infinite hatred
    flayed hauberk
    then 25 points on whatever you want

BTW CaptainSarathai, your vamp and tactic is illegal.
    Characters on flying mounts cannot join units (so he can't join the ghoul unit), p72 BRB,
    and in the FAQ it says that if you take dread knight you cannot select another mount.

FAQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Okay, so I came up with this guy, inspired by the Wood Elf Alter Kindred:

Vampire, Infinite Hatred, Supernatural Horror, Sword Of Battle, Flayed Hauberk, Talisman of the Lycni.

He's not going to do bucketloads of damage on his own, but he'll sure as hell scare the pants off your opponent. To be fair, he can dish it out against rank-and-file infantry. Keep him hidden for a couple of turns till support arrives, then smack him into the side of some orcs/goblins/state troops/spearelves/marauders/men at arms/generic infantry and watch them cheese it.

V.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I don't think you should put a combat vampire on his own if he won't be used exclusively for hunting down small stuff. If your other unit stuck in combat with that infantry block loses even by just 1, than your vampire already suffers one of his precious 2 wounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Yeah, that's a fair point. He's excellent for taking out war machines and fast cavalry though.

I've been on the receiving end of a Vampire with Dread Knight and Infinite Hatred, armed with the Balefire Spike and wearing the Cadaverous Cuirass. He's a treeman-killer. S7, flaming and magical. Eeek!

V.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

+ Reply to Thread