dealing with ogres and other big nasties - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dealing with ogres and other big nasties

so recently ive found i have problems dealing with big scary things with high T and/or lots of armor (which also tend to be fear causers and thus immune to psychology) such as dragons, steam tanks, giants, etc... ogre armies also tend to especially give me issues for much the same reason (though i know they're just T 4).

Black knights work OK, and wights with GW can be decent (but don't get killing blow) but i was wondering if anyone else was willing to share ways they deal with these things?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having a combat pure vamp helps a lot with dealing with them, as done a Vargulf or Blood Knights.

That or throw a huge amount at their flanks and defeat 'em through combat res if their not stubborn or anything.
    Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue
    If I'm Schizophrenic
    Then I am too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I've found orges particularly easy to deal with, though they can kill your characters easily. Ghouls are good against high T, low armour, so definately orges. Most people find problems with dragons and steam tanks, luckily I havn't come up against any recently but the general idea is just to ignore them or try and tarpit them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

This wont really work against a full army like Ogre Kingdoms but if there's just a single unit of Ores, such as in an Orcs and Goblins or Skaven army then a Vampire with Supernatural Horror can have a chance at chasing them off as they cause Terror.

A favourite tactic for this with me is running a BSB with Supernatural Horror, flying, and, Screaming Banner so that they have to roll 3 dice for Fear.

The problem with this is it can sometimes lead to your BSB becoming isolated which is not ideal but I've once chased a unit of 6 Skaven ogres off the field in turn 2 which saved me a lot of potential pain later on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

For Ogre Kingdoms Konrad von Carstein actually has a use. Since the FAQ lets Red Fury count the modified wounds total as the number of extra attacks, his 2 wound sword comes in useful.
    And if you want to risk it, Lord with Frostblade and Red Fury can potentially rip through ogres like butter on the same principle.

Ogre Kingdoms also tend to have low anti-magic, playing into one of the VC strengths. Definately consider a corpse cart or 2 with Balefire for both the ASF bound spell and also for the -1 for enemy spellcasters, as Ogre magic tends towards spamming one dice spells, forcing them into using 2 dice lowers the amount of spells they cast and opens them up to the nasty miscasts ogres have. Overall taking a strong magic army against Ogres is a winner.

Chances are they'll be advancing towards you as fast as possible so be sure to make liberal use of raised zombie speedbumps to both march block and dictate which charges you want to take.

And if you take anything ethereal then apart from characters you need to watch out for Yhetees as their attacks count as magical.

----------

For other stuff:

Giants: Ghouls. Not sure on the base size but you should be able to get 4 in (maybe 5) so that's 8 (9 with champion) poisoned attacks. Keep them up to strength with invocation, get ASF on them if possible to avoid getting "Yell and Bawl" before you get a chance to fight and you should be able to wear it down.

Dragons: Prime case for a zombie tarpit. If desperate then 7 dire wolves with a champion, charge them, challenge with the doom wolf, you wont lose the entire unit in one round so will hold it up for their turn as well.
    Grave guard unit of doom (Great weapons, banner of barrows, vampire (or lord) nearby with helm of command). S6 to wound dragon, killing blow as well for the rider, hitting on 3+ at worst when you use the helm on them. But if you're using it, then make damn sure you're able to get ASF on them, either from a cart or Vanhel's. If you can't get ASF on them, then the damage the dragon and rider can do will most likely seriously blunt this tactic.

Steam Tank: Nothing stands out and IIRC the Stank can back out of combat at will so you can't tarpit it with zombies. Short of a black/blood knight charge there's not much that can seriously damage it easily.
    The cheapest option would be using Forbidden Lore and taking Lore of Metal. the number 1 spell can chip away and Spirit of the Forge wrecks Stanks. Either use a caster lord or take power stones on a regular vamp to power up the big spirit of the forge.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Lore of death and forbidden lore. The spell that makes a fear causing unit cause terror, that will run those buggers off.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice, sounds dumb but i forgot about the ghouls since i normally run all skellies (so that my lord of the dead works anywhere) that should take care of the giants, and i like that banner combo, which should also be nice against about 1/2 the armies out there (goodbye skaven)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by stratovarion View Post
    This wont really work against a full army like Ogre Kingdoms but if there's just a single unit of Ores, such as in an Orcs and Goblins or Skaven army then a Vampire with Supernatural Horror can have a chance at chasing them off as they cause Terror.

A favourite tactic for this with me is running a BSB with Supernatural Horror, flying, and, Screaming Banner so that they have to roll 3 dice for Fear.

The problem with this is it can sometimes lead to your BSB becoming isolated which is not ideal but I've once chased a unit of 6 Skaven ogres off the field in turn 2 which saved me a lot of potential pain later on.
    How'd you get the rat ogres to take the test to begin with? You causing terror only makes them fear you. They still don't have to take a terror check.

Personally, I like to play fighting oriented vampire counts (minimum magic with a vamp on a dragon, blood knights, black knights, vargulf...), so ogres have never been a problem - they simply get run over in every combat. Enemy lords on a dragon (or a bloodthirster) can be an issue depending on their setup, but only if the rest of their list fights as hard as yours.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

You could use the game breaking unit of doom, GG (whichever, i prefer GW's) at 20+ with full command and BoB and a wight king BSB with drakenhof banner in there, a necro with a corpse cart inside the unit and if you wish a vamp in there as well (in that case I'd take strigos standard instead) this unit is huge and can even take flank and rear charges by multiple units and last a long time, which is good cuz with so many points in this unit you won't have much of an army.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had a huge thing typed up about daemons but apparently i timed out or something so I lost it... but I played a 2250 against daemons the other night and the bloodthirster alone killed 80% of my army... any advice?

everyone of their units is statistically superior to everything but my vampires and get a free 5+ ward save..

i just don't know what to do against ws 10, 7 str 7 flaming attacks at initiative 9 with reroll to wound. toughness 6 with 5 wounds and 3+ obsidian armour save (so no magic weapons can be used while in bsb to it and an inate ward save)

the only way I was able to even wound it was by casting winds of undeath and him failing his ward save.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast