Painting the Varghulf - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Painting the Varghulf

Hi all,

Over Christmas I started assembling my Varghulf, but it didn't take me long to stop. See, I'm not sure if I should just glue everything together and then try and paint it, or if I should paint it in pieces and then glue it together...

So, I turn to you for advice. Have any of you painted a Varghulf? Did you paint it fully assembled, or in pieces? And, which ever way you did it, did you have any problems getting to obscured parts or some such?

If it helps, I currently have the 'unfurled' wing glued on. The 'folded' wing (which is my main worry regarding obscuring parts of the rest of the model) and the legs are still unattached. I don't think the legs will prove much of a problem, but that folded wing really has me worried.

Cheers for any advice you can offer!
    Deadstar_MRC

Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I purchased a varg a while back and its now one of my favorite paint jobs, I assembled without pinning, there is alot of surface area for the glue to connect too so its a very solid fit, I think the vargh should be fully assembled. ( its only slightly hard to get the inner feet and thats only if you glue to base for grip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Hey,

I just painted my varhulf fully asembled its not really hard if you primer it black its even better because the unreacheble areas are black anyway and it looks like shadow so i haven't got any problem painting my varhulf this way

i hope it helped

Greatzz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    157 (x3)

When I get round to painting mine I think I'll do the folded left wing separate, just because a model like that you don't want to miss a detail and you can't get away with as easily compared to say a unit with shields. So I'd say it's better to do the left wing on it's own before attaching it.
    BEN DIESEL FTW!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Its pretty easy to get around when built, didn't take me long to paint mine, painted it grey with a sort of scaly green wings (to fit in with my scheme).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

I glued mine and then started painting it. It was going well but then I drpooed it and it broke (I really need to learn pinning techniques).

Either way I certainly found it easier to paint bits seperately, but either way works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

blah if you pin and drop it , it can still break

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Thanks for all the tips thus far! I'm thinking, bearing your advice in mind, that I will leave the folded wing off for painting. Though this of course is going to cause problems if (when?) I need to greenstuff the gap between the wing and the body...

Hmmm. I guess I can fill the gap as best I can while not actually attaching the wing. That might work.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

What I did was a dry fit everything together then glued the legs on. This This way if you see a spot you need to green stuff you can. Mine has since been dropped and fell apart and I simply haven't had the energy to piece him back together.
    The Camden Brigade
    Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, and kharma hits you with a car.
    20 Bucks. Eat it; Ride it; Hump it. I don't care. - Earl J. Hickey

+ Reply to Thread